The Israel thread

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Vespa

Re: The Israel thread

Post by Vespa »

This made me laugh. Columbia is in Manhattan, going hungry for someone whose a Ph.D student in Manhattan is a physical impossibility.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Couldn't post a link, as it's behind a paywall, but this is a comment in an article by Andrew Neil about the campus revolts in America.....

They are also the reason university authorities from Columbia on the East Coast to UCLA on the West Coast belatedly called in the police to clear out the protesters.

The pressure to act became irresistible as Republican and Democratic politicians averred that anti-Semitism was now more rife than it had ever been before in America — and that, incredibly, universities had become the main source of the poison.

Yet, perhaps, not incredible at all. American academia is dominated by a neo-Marxist narrative in which all the current ills of the world can be traced to racial injustice and colonialism, and the peoples of the world divided into oppressed and oppressor.

Seen through this simplistic prism — perhaps beguiling to those who know no history, politics or economics — the Middle East becomes easily understandable: Israel is the oppressor, backed by evil imperial powers like America and Britain; Palestinians are the oppressed. Israelis are largely white (or so it is claimed) and Palestinians are brown. All the boxes are ticked. It is Israeli-Arab geopolitics for dummies.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

More from the same Neill article.....

There is increasing evidence in the U.S. that hardline agitators and anarchists are now orchestrating the protests, with privileged, naive students their useful idiots. A Leftist website, CrimethInc.com, run by veterans of BLM, Antifa and Occupy Wall Street, has been publishing lessons learned and coordinating activities across the country.

According to the NYPD, half the protesters arrested at Columbia and New York's City College were not students. They push for the occupation of buildings wherever possible — and that is when violence and vandalism are most likely to occur.

They were behind the occupation of Hamilton Hall, which was roundly trashed, and behind the wilful and appalling damage done to the library at Portland State University in Oregon.

There was a feeling in America this week that perhaps the worst was over. The university authorities had acted at last, major figures on the Left and Right had condemned the encampments, police intervention from Los Angeles to Texas to New York had been effective (and largely non-violent) and even President Biden was wheeled out to give his tuppence worth.

It was the first time we've heard from 'Silent Joe' since the campus unrest took root. He has proved strangely reluctant to condemn the protesters and even on Thursday did no more than spout a few mealy-mouthed platitudes about free speech and peaceful protest.

He needs the youth vote — essential to his victory in 2020 — to be re-elected in November and has been keen to court that vote with a $160 billion student debt write-off (with more to come before election day) and the reclassification of cannabis, effectively decriminalising it.

Saying a few robust home truths to student protesters has so far eluded him. And this could come back to hurt Biden.

If the protests continue and the Democratic convention in Chicago in August is hijacked by violent protesters, as the 1968 convention (also in Chicago) was by anti-Vietnam war protesters, then a sense of lawlessness would only help Donald Trump as it helped Republican Richard Nixon in 1968.

So Biden might have to stiffen his resolve and his response before the summer is out to secure his re-election chances.

More fundamentally, sensible politicians of all persuasions need to think seriously about why so many young Americans — especially the ones who are supposed to be the smartest — are so easily prepared to make common cause with a genocidal Islamism.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:50 pm
Yet, perhaps, not incredible at all. American academia is dominated by a neo-Marxist narrative in which all the current ills of the world can be traced to racial injustice and colonialism, and the peoples of the world divided into oppressed and oppressor.
I find it weird when people label universities. I know someone who went to Columbia, he's cooking my dinner, he's not very Marxist. People are protesting at schools for peace in Gaza, which most people want, some are crazy and most universities call the police in to clear them from the site. If they are violent then are likely to be excluded from the school, an expensive enterprise.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Vespa wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:14 pm
I find it weird when people label universities. I know someone who went to Columbia, he's cooking my dinner, he's not very Marxist. People are protesting at schools for peace in Gaza, which most people want, some are crazy and most universities call the police in to clear them from the site. If they are violent then are likely to be excluded from the school, an expensive enterprise.
He said dominated not all are Marxist, the trouble as he highlights are most too thick too really understand the problem in the Middle East

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:39 pm
He said dominated not all are Marxist, the trouble as he highlights are most too thick too really understand the problem in the Middle East
Can you prove how Columbia are dominated by Marxists?

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Vespa wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:41 pm
No, but it wasn't my comment, I posted an article from Andrew Neill that I kind of agreed with...

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:49 pm
Vespa wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:41 pm
No, but it wasn't my comment, I posted an article from Andrew Neill that I kind of agreed with...
US universities have been accused of being dominated by Marxists since the 50s. When they protested equal rights, wars, gay rights, etc. I like Neil but this is a 70 year old attack.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Criticism of Israel in any form or magnitude is increasingly forbidden in the supposedly free world.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Hamas agree to ceasefire deal, but refuses to release hostages - so it's bullshit.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Vespa wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:41 pm Hamas agree to ceasefire deal, but refuses to release hostages - so it's bullshit.
When their area is being trashed, only morons would agree a ceasefire on their terms....totally bonkers

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

The Tick wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:29 pm Criticism of Israel in any form or magnitude is increasingly forbidden in the supposedly free world.
Criticism of Hamas from the Left for Oct 7th attack...don't hear a lot

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

chelseachelsea wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:52 pm
The Tick wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:29 pm Criticism of Israel in any form or magnitude is increasingly forbidden in the supposedly free world.
Criticism of Hamas from the Left for Oct 7th attack...don't hear a lot
Criticism of hamas has never been suppressed.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

chelseachelsea wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:48 pm
Vespa wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:41 pm Hamas agree to ceasefire deal, but refuses to release hostages - so it's bullshit.
When their area is being trashed, only morons would agree a ceasefire on their terms....totally bonkers
Letting the hostages out would likely force a ceasefire.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:29 pm
chelseachelsea wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:48 pm
Letting the hostages out would likely force a ceasefire.
Of course, but Hamas are terrorists. Why would they want to?
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7
“Decent long termer”–Paolo