Local Elections

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Vespa

Re: Local Elections

Post by Vespa »

subsub wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:15 pm
Vespa wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:40 am The Greens had a good local elections run, nice to see more Green councillors. I would like to see the Greens professionalise there messaging. That said given the Greens are one of the largest parties in government you hardly seen them on political programmes compared to reform.
Indeed, Vespa. The Greens have 160 councillors across the country; Reform have the grand total of two.
Greens have over 700 councillors.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Sadiq is predicted to win London.
Man U and rangers

birdie

Post by birdie »

I think that people often vote differently in local as opposed to GE as they vote on issues on home ground, and a green on the council can often make a difference to the approach taken on some issues, but when it comes to GE I think a green vote is wasted, after all, if you look at how many votes the green candidate gets there's so chance they would ever get voted in as an MP.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

birdie

Post by birdie »

theleader82 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:52 pm Sadiq is predicted to win London.
The interesting comparison will be to see how many voted for him as 1st preference last time and the number who voted for him this time.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Vespa wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:38 pm
subsub wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:15 pm
Vespa wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:40 am The Greens had a good local elections run, nice to see more Green councillors. I would like to see the Greens professionalise there messaging. That said given the Greens are one of the largest parties in government you hardly seen them on political programmes compared to reform.
Indeed, Vespa. The Greens have 160 councillors across the country; Reform have the grand total of two.
Greens have over 700 councillors.
My apologies, Vespa.
WOKE AND PROUD

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

It looks like Khan is going to win the London election. I always thought he was beatable or at least at risk of a close race. Makes me wonder if either the Tories just have awful candidates or that the members, who elected Truss, are just incredibly poor at finding winners.

I lament the Tories, a party that once had a hoard of reasonable MPs who've been driven away by the headbangers and we've now left with the loony wing. Reminds me of Labour under Corbyn.

I don't think a Tory could win London given the polls but Susan Hall was so awful her social media advertising didn't even name the
Tory party.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Andy Burnham gets more votes than everyone else combined.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

I have no doubt in my mind that Labour will continue the Tories' disastrous legacy. Nothing will change. Ineffective policing, uncontrolled immigration, a bloated and sluggish public sector, high taxation. It's all downhill from here.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7
“Decent long termer”–Paolo

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Khan wins by the largest margin he's had over then last two Tories who stood against him.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

lambrini wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:55 pm I have no doubt in my mind that Labour will continue the Tories' disastrous legacy. Nothing will change. Ineffective policing, uncontrolled immigration, a bloated and sluggish public sector, high taxation. It's all downhill from here.
Governing is hard. Since Boris the Tories have taken the approach of blaming numerous groups for any problems rather than simply saying it difficult, here are the issues and possible solutions. Which is why they now look awful. I'd hope any possible Labour government would be far more honest, even if they have the same problems.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Andy Street looks like he may be in trouble, I have some sympathy for him.

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Vespa wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:11 pm It looks like Khan is going to win the London election. I always thought he was beatable or at least at risk of a close race. Makes me wonder if either the Tories just have awful candidates or that the members, who elected Truss, are just incredibly poor at finding winners.

I lament the Tories, a party that once had a hoard of reasonable MPs who've been driven away by the headbangers and we've now left with the loony wing. Reminds me of Labour under Corbyn.

I don't think a Tory could win London given the polls but Susan Hall was so awful her social media advertising didn't even name the
Tory party.
Whatever Khan's merits he was always going to beat Hall, the most obnoxious candidate even the Tories could find. And despite their gutter-level campaigning.

And we hear Tories now telling us the reason they have been hammered is that they aren't Tory enough. Go right ahead; draw the wrong conclusions...please.

As for Houchen....£3bn of our money has gone into the corrupt Teeside free port development , a good chunk of which has winged its way back to the Tory star - the one who "forgot" his blue rosette at the count declaration. I greatly look forward to the explosion there is going to be about what a massive con that whole project is , how it has enriched local business people who took no risk , and how Gove has tried to cover it up.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Vespa wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:17 pm Khan wins by the largest margin he's had over then last two Tories who stood against him.
Bollocks.
2016 margin 315,529 56.8%

2021 margin 228,433 55.2% so down on 2016

2024 margin 275,828 so up on 2021 43.8% NOT the biggest margin over the last two.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

The Andy Street vote is quite exciting.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Vespa wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:14 pm Andy Burnham gets more votes than everyone else combined.
65% of the votes. Pity is that only 26.6% of voters bothered. Still he's popular with 17% of the electorate most of whom are totally apathetic.

And his mate, the mayor of Salford did the same. His mate Dennett [the one who still lives in a counci flat, got 61.5% of the same turnout.

The council seats are yet to be counted but the same will apply with the usual suapects getting in.