UK sets new European record for COVID deaths in one day

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Zambo

Re: UK sets new European record for COVID deaths in one day

Post by Zambo »

Roy Twing wrote:We all know that many deaths that are attributed to the virus are people in care homes and the like who would have died anyway.
Surely the only statistic that matters is, on statistical average, how many more people per day are dying than usual?

Is Correct.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

delboy1983 wrote:
The End wrote:Since when did what Piers Morgan says mean anything to anyone?

Agree,but a massive twitter following which makes him a dangerous fucker.

The majority of which is probably mostly made up, of those who enjoy seeing him make a cunt of himself. I can't think of any other reason.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Zambo wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:We all know that many deaths that are attributed to the virus are people in care homes and the like who would have died anyway.
Surely the only statistic that matters is, on statistical average, how many more people per day are dying than usual?

Is Correct.

Statistical average is an awful measure of anything. There are many many trending methodologies that provide insights into the actual trend than averages, you can guarantee that what the health department is working with.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Agreed, Roy.
One stat I have yet to read is the average age of Covid victims in the UK.
I'd also be very keen to know the death rate according to age.
I'm guessing that very few people under 50 have died, and that the vast majority of fatalities are 65+?

My sister-in-law is a nurse (late 30s) and has already gone onto WhatsApp and said if her and her husband die, will one of us look after her children? She's talking like catching this thing is a death sentence, when the mortality rate is something like 3%. The media have whipped this up, too, as if we were dealing with smallpox etc
WOKE AND PROUD

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Vespa wrote:
Zambo wrote:

Is Correct.

Statistical average is an awful measure of anything. There are many many trending methodologies that provide insights into the actual trend than averages, you can guarantee that what the health department is working with.

Coincidentally, having just read Hitchens' column in the mail, he touches on these very stats, and points to the relevant ONS resuluts.
Their report is unfortunately a crucial couple of weeks behind today, but it does make for interesting reading, and will be far more so when the next update is added:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ndandwales
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

subsub wrote:

Agreed, Roy.
I'm guessing that very few people under 50 have died, and that the vast majority of fatalities are 65+?

My sister-in-law is a nurse (late 30s) and has already gone onto WhatsApp and said if her and her husband die, will one of us look after her children? She's talking like catching this thing is a death sentence, when the mortality rate is something like 3%. The media have whipped this up, too, as if we were dealing with smallpox etc

subsub

Post by subsub »

Thank you :)
WOKE AND PROUD

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

subsub wrote:

Agreed, Roy.

That ONS link I just posted does give all the info required including deaths by age group.
Must say, up to end of March, the figures don't look as frightening as we were being frightened at the time.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

subsub

Post by subsub »

Roy Twing wrote:
subsub wrote:

Agreed, Roy.

That ONS link I just posted does give all the info required including deaths by age group.
Must say, up to end of March, the figures don't look as frightening as we were being frightened at the time.

Cheers, Roy.
I know it's a tricky one, because the lack of testing skews results a bit, but that spreadsheet does confirm what I thought.
Obviously, we need to nip this in the bud, but good to see some proper stats rather than all this tabloid "ANOTHER 100 DEAD!" stuff.
WOKE AND PROUD

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

subsub wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
subsub wrote:

Agreed, Roy.

Cheers, Roy.
I know it's a tricky one, because the lack of testing skews results a bit, but that spreadsheet does confirm what I thought.
Obviously, we need to nip this in the bud, but good to see some proper stats rather than all this tabloid "ANOTHER 100 DEAD!" stuff.

New admissions would be the most useful piece of data.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Vespa wrote:
subsub wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
subsub wrote:

Agreed, Roy.

Cheers, Roy.

New admissions would be the most useful piece of data.

Agreed, but I would guess, as with most official data, it will always be some crucial amount of time out of date.
E & OE

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Yet more North Korean style drivel from our national press.

Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

It's an opinion piece. All newspapers have them.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Petingo wrote:Yet more North Korean style drivel from our national press.

And it’s behind a paywall. :)

Who in their right mind would pay to read that dross.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Ralph wrote:
Petingo wrote:Yet more North Korean style drivel from our national press.

And it’s behind a paywall. :)

These cringeworthy sycophantic pieces always remind me of the benchmark effort, - joe haines' robert maxwell biography.

NB - why is it Christmas on here? (not that I'm complaining).
Last edited by Roy Twing on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
E & OE