Holiday Thread

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
finchman

Re: Holiday Thread

Post by finchman »

beingsoblase wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:05 am Not exactly a holiday, but me and Mrs blasé have spent a couple of days down in Wiltshire, the main reason being a day at stonehenge yesterday, something of a bucket list thing for me.
Get up to Callanish,Isle of Lewis, older and more impressive than Stonehenge and not a fence in sight.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

finchman wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:57 pm
beingsoblase wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:05 am Not exactly a holiday, but me and Mrs blasé have spent a couple of days down in Wiltshire, the main reason being a day at stonehenge yesterday, something of a bucket list thing for me.
Get up to Callanish,Isle of Lewis, older and more impressive than Stonehenge and not a fence in sight.
Never been Mike. would love to see them.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Carlos J wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:27 pm
Carlos J wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:15 pm Jesus, Sid.
The Tick wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:33 pm Yearly policies are better overall, particularly if one is a regular international traveller. Cheaper policies tend to be those that don't include north America (gotta bite the bullet if one wants to go to the USA, canada , mexico).

Ultimately if one has poor health or is taking lots of valuables then the premium rises anyway.
Yeah. Just checked as hoping to start travelling again in September. A yearly covering USA is £87.36 cheapest or £134.99 for the one I'll probably go for.

Not much more than was paying pre-Covid.

Hotels though have fucking ramped up.
Yay. First trip since pre-Covid. The used to be regular Rail and Sail to the Dam pushed forwards many times.

Anyway, tried a change. Same hotels in Dam are still stupidly priced, so a few days in Haarlem. Easy access to Dam and looks an interesting place.

Anyone been?

Note that the Rangers are playing Ajax on Wednesday 7 September. Might go into Dam for a few hours to see what's going on before going back to Haarlem to watch. See how the friendly Scotch travelling abroard are.

And finally sorted two weeks in Scandi end of September. 8)

Leave US again till Spring.
Lovely times, Went to Dam to see the Rangers there, few in Dam Square and around, Shorts weather for Glalsgae folk though was quite mild.

Haarlem is a lovely little city, just out of Dam, everything you want. Shame the NS cancelled all trains on Friday, so rebooked a hotel in Schiedam op be able to get back to the Hook. a magnificent little place on the canal.

And Schiedam is a lovely little place. A busy Albert Heijn nearby so all fine.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Scandi in a couple off weeks, so excited. Copenhagen for a few days then Sweden for a lot longer. hoping all good.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Carlos J wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:42 pm Copenhagen for a few days
Rappin’ Hans Christian Andersen
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Sadact7 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:00 pm
Gotta Hans it to you bro, top work
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Sadact7 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:00 pm
Very good. Have clappin' Hans. =D> =D>

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Carlos J wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:42 pm Scandi in a couple off weeks, so excited. Copenhagen for a few days then Sweden for a lot longer. hoping all good.
Excellent stuff. Looking forward to your reviews, old friend. Would like to visit Scandi, sadly it's pretty low down on places to visit right now.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Thanks old friend. Off to Copenhagen next Tuesday. Will revew well when back. Not a Nordic Noir fanfest, always wanted to go. But the shows don't help.
Sadact7 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:51 pm Does make me chuckle when Lawns calls Carlos “old friend”
Not me. :)

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:37 pm
Carlos J wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:42 pm Scandi in a couple off weeks, so excited. Copenhagen for a few days then Sweden for a lot longer. hoping all good.
Excellent stuff. Looking forward to your reviews, old friend. Would like to visit Scandi, sadly it's pretty low down on places to visit right now.
Got back last night, fantastic time. Copenhagen first. Nice city, lots to do but it lacked a bit of sparkle to me.

Night flight to Stockholm then early flight to Luleå. Waited a bit at the airport then got the bus to the centre. Only one on it, chatting with the driver (Arsenal fan who'd been to London in the 70s). Told me to stay on and did his other routes and gave me a tour of the area, lovely bloke. Bewtiful scenery around the harbour and a lovely small city.

Went to first ice hockey game vs Växjö. Stood on the terrace with the ultras. Fans sang all came led by some blokes at the front and some drummers. Great atmosphere, not the game I went to but the fans were singing like this all game in the terrace:

Fair play to the ten or so Växjö fans who either made the 1300km one way journey or lived nearby.

Overnight train to Stockholm was fine bar some bloke who snored like a pneumatic drill all night.

Stockholm was brilliant, had the lively vibe I thought Copenhagen lacked. Did the sights and lots of wandering round the islands to see the real place.

Then train to Malmö, Loved that place. Similar size to Partridgeland and similar in lots of history but also quite modern. Turning Torso is immense and went to the Disgusting Food Museum: https://disgustingfoodmuseum.com/ which was interesting. Tried Surströmming and Hákarl which weren't that bad, smell or taste wise alongside Durian fruit and numerous bugs.

Amusing in the hotel as about 11pm one night the fire alarm went off. All out front, and there were two stunning Orientals shivering in not a lot, definitely on the job, should have made conversation.

And yesterday, over the Øresund Bridge to Copehagen and back to Blighty.

Great trip, bewtiful places, stunning scenery and women. Would revisit Stockholm and Malmö again. Next trip I have to get to DC next year after failing twice on day trips due to weather.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Up in Yorkshire for a week, close to Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay.
Looking forward to some nice fish and chips, a few coastal walks and plenty of wine :)
WOKE AND PROUD

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

subsub wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:05 pm Up in Yorkshire for a week, close to Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay.
Looking forward to some nice fish and chips, a few coastal walks and plenty of wine :)
And quizzing on the phone we hope. :D

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

subsub wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:05 pm Up in Yorkshire for a week, close to Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay.
Poncey Yorkshire, full of soft arsed dickheads.

If you want a laugh, tell the locals you’ve seen a bunch of Wessies (pronounced “Wezzies”) coming and watch them shit their pants
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

subsub

Post by subsub »

Sadact7 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:01 am
:lol:
Served tea and a sarnie by a lovely woman in a tearoom yesterday - lovely smile and some serious cleavage :D
WOKE AND PROUD

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

subsub wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:49 am
Sadact7 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:01 am
:lol:
Served tea and a sarnie by a lovely woman in a tearoom yesterday - lovely smile and some serious cleavage :D
Cor! I bet Mrs Subsub was impressed — about the bird with the lovely smile and serious cleavage, I mean, not the tea. 🤭
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7
“Decent long termer”–Paolo