TF Chess Club 2, WCC 2014, 2016, 2018, 2021 and 2023

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Carlos J
Forum Admin

Re: TF Chess Club 2, WCC 2014, WCC 2016, WCC 2018 and WCC 2021

Post by Carlos J »

This interview with Hans at St Louis is interesting. Naka does not take his analysis seriously*

Naka's reaction is hilarious.

*Even as a non GM, it is a bit lame.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

So in the Chess.com Global Championship 2022, err Wesley so beat Nihal Sarin in the final after beating Naka in the semis: https://www.chess.com/events/2022-chess ... hip-finals

Now we move on to the The 2022 Speed Chess Championship which should be great in late November. Final qulaifiers on now: https://www.chess.com/news/view/chessco ... s-2022-scc

Anyone interested in chess and wants to learn more, this is a decent article about books, videos and streamers about chess: https://www.chess.com/article/view/ches ... ampionship

Proudly a lot of the stuff has been mentioned in this thread. Definitely watch old stuff about Morphy, Capaplance and Alekhine, then completely about the great and crazy Bobby Fischer.

And on to K v K, Kasparov v Karpov and comments here about the legend Garry and ultimately good man Karpov.

Fast forward to Magnus now and the streaming woorld,

Englundgambit and I both like Nakamura, bith like Agadmator and both dislike Gothamchess as he is a cunt..

Avoid the Botez sisters bar viewing that they are pretty, but also pretty vacant. Honourable mentions missed in that artcile to Jerry on yt Chess Network for his bewtiful and easy to follow coverage of Chess World Championships for years, but his wonderful blitz and bullet plays and also on yt, GM Danny King, as 'Powerplay chess' for his more thoughtful from a GM mind studies of those games.

Hence Why I quote both for every Worl Chess Champioship game.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

So we finally have a date and venue for the 2023 World Chess Championship.

Nepo v Ding in Astana, Kazakhstan from Apri 7 to May 1.

Not really a stunner of a final after Magnus withdrew and no western countries bothered to bid.

I'd tend to Ding, but Nepo has at least final experience. Think it will be long and attritional over any breathtaking brilliiancies.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

But at least a bit of Naka from a year ago.

Remember Maugnus in his documentary talking about always games going on in the back of his mind?

Remember Beth Harmon in 'The Queens Gambit' and visual patterns in her mind?

Naka does it all on patterns and chess notation. Loses the patterns on g3, g3, g3, g3 but gets it back. What a mind.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Re: TF Chess Club 2, WCC 2014, 2016, 2018, 2021 and 2023

Post by Carlos J »

But we all see patterns in our mind. Sadly most forget a piece or two. Good to see a Super GM, chatting away and forgetting the white lady:

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I little off topic but I've been doing daily chess puzzles and just did my 1000'd. I like chess puzzles but have no idea how a novice learns chesss, Google is no help.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Good stuff, Vespa. The best thing is playing other people either over the board or online. Sites like chess.com you can play all standards and they have loads of learning tools for beginners. Give me a few months to get back into the game and will happily play you.

ovechkin8

Post by ovechkin8 »

Vespa wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:30 pm I little off topic but I've been doing daily chess puzzles and just did my 1000'd. I like chess puzzles but have no idea how a novice learns chesss, Google is no help.
There are plenty of tutorial online about piece development, basic openings, pawn structure, castling, tactics, how to think and strategy and control of squares and space.
'I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses.' Johannes Kepler

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

As was ill last year and as it didn't look a thriller, no coverage of Ding beating Nepo.

However, we now have the Candidates tournament to see who plays Ding later in the year and then thankfully back to a two year cycle.

In the Candidates we have no Magnus as he withdrew again :cry: but we have Naka, :D Nepo, Ali Firouzja, Caruana, an Azeri and a trio of Indians.

A double round-robin in Toronto so should be nice timing to watch on the usual youtubes. More details here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candida ... ament_2024

Good timing with a rest day for Eclipse watching.