Jeremy Corbyn

In-depth debate on all topical issues
The Tick

Re: Jeremy Corbyn

Post by The Tick »

Ralph wrote:Is Jeremy Corbyn not part of the metropolitan elite? He's been the MP for North Islington since 1983.
He's happens to be an MP for a borough that is a by word for the metro elite. He can't help the fact that such people reside in his constituency (which is still home to some of the most deprived households in the country and was hardly a beacon of supreme wealth and elitism when he first became MP there).

Corbyn has never been part of the New Labour cabal. Just a backbench MP who works primarily for his constituents.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

The Tick wrote:
Ralph wrote:Is Jeremy Corbyn not part of the metropolitan elite? He's been the MP for North Islington since 1983.
He's happens to be an MP for a borough that is a by word for the metro elite. He can't help the fact that such people reside in his constituency (which is still home to some of the most deprived households in the country and was hardly a beacon of supreme wealth and elitism when he first became MP there).

Corbyn has never been part of the New Labour cabal. Just a backbench MP who works primarily for his constituents.
I'm sure he is a good constituency MP. Is he a future PM though. Labour can't help anyone or do anything while in opposition, especially now the Tories have a majority.

Surely there's some middle ground between 'pseudo Tory' & Jeremy Corbyn.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Ralph wrote: Surely there's some middle ground between 'pseudo Tory' & Jeremy Corbyn.
With the exception of Frank Field (an MP I greatly admire), I genuinely cannot think of anyone, Ralph.

Can you?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I reckon you are very quickly turning into a Tory Ralph. :wink:

Don't be shy, come on out.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Ralph wrote:
The Tick wrote:

I'm sure he is a good constituency MP. Is he a future PM though. Labour can't help anyone or do anything while in opposition, especially now the Tories have a majority.

Surely there's some middle ground between 'pseudo Tory' & Jeremy Corbyn.
Labour had a chance to something worthwhile in opposition. Unite with other parties to oppose the 2015 Welfare Bill put up by the Tories (some Tories themselves abstained from the vote so the bill could have been defeated).

Labour (with noble exceptions) chose not to.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Zambo wrote:I reckon you are very quickly turning into a Tory Ralph. :wink:

Not a chance. :D

I want someone who can beat the Tories as leader of the opposition.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Ralph wrote:

This woman then:

This is the only person seemingly capable of doing that - and she's not even in the Commons!

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

You just need someone who is bold enough to take on the Tories in parliament and not try desperately to get validation by the right wing press. Someone who can confidently propose an alternative to prevailing habits.

Remember the Tories needed a coalition to support them in the last parliament and only have a slim majority in this one. They are not an unstoppable force.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Ralph wrote:

This woman then:

This is the only person seemingly capable of doing that - and she's not even in the Commons!
The most cynical politician in the UK. Cameron & Sturgeon have a symbiotic relationship.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

The Tick wrote:
Remember the Tories needed a coalition to support them in the last parliament and only have a slim majority in this one. They are not an unstoppable force.
I agree. Thy only won because people were scared of the SNP & Labour were such a shambles.

The tragedy is that the the modern day political arena appears to be completely devoid of talent

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

The Tick wrote:You just need someone who is bold enough to take on the Tories in parliament and not try desperately to get validation by the right wing press. Someone who can confidently propose an alternative to prevailing habits.

Is Jeremy Corbyn that person?

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

He's the only Labour leadership candidate giving it a go.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Ralph wrote: Surely there's some middle ground between 'pseudo Tory' & Jeremy Corbyn.
With the exception of Frank Field (an MP I greatly admire), I genuinely cannot think of anyone, Ralph.

Can you?
The House of Commons isn't overflowing with talent & the best people aren't running for the job.

Liz Kendall isn't the best possible Blairite candidate. Jeremy Corbyn isn't the best possible Bennite candidate. Why is Stella Creasy running for Deputy while Liz Kendall is running for leader? Liz Kendall is junior minister material at best.

Corbyn will win. If in two years time Labour are heading for defeat they should ditch him & persuade the people who are planning to run in 2020 to stand. Chuka, Dan Jarvis, Kier Starmer, Stella Creasy. etc.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Ralph wrote: Chuka, Dan Jarvis, Kier Starmer, Stella Creasy. etc.
Are identical to Burnham, Kendall & Cooper.

That is why people are opting for Corbyn.

In the long run, this could be a good thing for UK politics - the return of good old fashioned conviction politicians.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

They may as well ask George Galloway back and put him into the mix.

He'd willingly bring things forward a bit and fly the flag of Allah over Downing Street right now.