Your most spectacular football strop - and did it backfire on you?

Anything sportlike
Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Your most spectacular football strop - and did it backfire on you?

Post by Basualdo »

Reading on one of the other threads about GOA and posting about his boorish yet understandable behaviour, I wanted to see if anyone else ever had a spectacular football supporting strop, and if so, did it turn round and bite you on the arse, like mine did?

My Morgan day strop.

A quick summary, 'Morgan day' was the last day of the Irish league season in 2005 when title was to be decided by a "Big Two" derby (or "Bel Classico" as some wags are still desperately trying to call it) between Glentoran and L*nfield at the Glen's Oval Ground.
The Blues needed a draw to clinch the league, the Glens, a win.

I was up there with a Crusaders supporting friend who could not give a shit who won either way.
Coming to the last 3 or 4 minutes it was looking great for the Glens as we were 2-1 up and the Sydenham end was going buck daft.
All of a sudden the Blues equalised. The title was heading to WinSewer Park.

That was it.
I was literally winded.
All the hopes , dreams and excitement wiped out....no, ripped out.
I was standing stunned and gasping ( think of that famous gif of the unfeasibly fat chopped Liverpool fan at the Crystalbul fiasco, lose about 7 stone off him, and that was me).
Oh my, but the Blues support was delighted. It fairly turned your guts to see the bastards so overjoyed.
Cunts.

"Fuck it. I'm away." I said to my mate who was stifling his joy at the turn of events , not through any love of L*nfield but because he saw the devastating effect it was having on me. Also he was standing in among the Glens support so didn't want his fucken whine kicked in.
"But its nearly over?' I remember him saying. "Fuck Off!' was my reply as I trod off joining a small stream of disgusted and in one case weeping supporters towards Mersey Street.

The bus stop for my trip home was only about 5 or 6 hundred yards away from the ground at the Holywood Arches junction in East Belfast and as I was halfway there I heard another loud cheer. The final whistle I thought, fuck it all to hell!
As luck would have it a bus arrived within seconds of me getting to the bus stop.

This was in the days before smart phones, at least for me, so I had no way of keeping up with things. Though the way i was feeling at the time, I probably could not be fucken bollixed to anyway.

Forty five minutes later I was getting of another bus near my house and decided to make the best of things by going to the local offy in a neighbouring estate to get a carry out for some liquid solace. I'll be fucked if I was going to go out that night.

As I was about to leave the offy in walked a fella from the estate that I knew slightly, wearing his Glens shirt and beaming from ear to ear.
He saw my scarf and yelled, "Yah ho, ya cunt ye!" and gave me a hug. " Fucken brilliant, wasn't it?!!"

By this time I was totally confused, but managed a "Oh yeah it was." in a baffled way not wanting to look an uneducated dick in front of him.
"When Morgan's winner went in I thought I would shite myself. And the riot, that was class too!"

Well by now even I had grasped that things were not as I had thought.
Obviously this had turned out to the Glens advantage, but we couldn't have won the thing, Could we?
I mean there were only seconds plus injury time left when I huffed out.

So I sprinted (i.e. walked faster) the half mile home, which wasn't easy in your early forties while carrying a 12 pack of Tennants and uphill all the way, and when I asked my wife to turn over to the local news there were grave faces moralising about the disgraceful scenes at the end of the Glens league clinching win at the Oval over their fierce rivals L*nfield with the winner in the dying seconds scored by former L*nfield stalwart Chris Morgan putting his old side to the sword.

Immmediately on the final whistle the Blues fans - not known for their understanding nature - piled on to the pitch to try to attack the teams, coaching staff anyone withing a haymakers reach really and then the Glentoran fans - not known for wanting to let the Blues fans get away with anything that they couldn't get in on - piled on from the Sydenham end and the most fearful bally-ho ensued on the pitch.
It sounded disgraceful, barabaric, shameful and absolutely brilliant to watch.

" You shouldda been there!" was the stating of the fucking obvious remark from my friend who phoned me when he got home an hour or so later, "The Glenmen went ballistic!! Even I was jumping about cheering!"
What a bastard!
" And you missed it all , ya fucken goat!"

You can read about Morgan day here:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 64386.html

Numerous vids of the fun and games are available on Youtube too.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

carcinogen

Re: Your most spectacular football strop - and did it backfire on you?

Post by carcinogen »

Tearing the poster of Robert Fleck off my wall after he signed for Chelsea. I also think I may have put Andy Townsend's face on my dartboard and thrown darts at his head when he also signed for Chelsea. Neither of these things backfired on me, rather humorously, the move more or less backfired on the players in question.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Not exactly spectacular, but...

Hurt my toe kicking the seat in front of me in anger at the final whistle of the cup final last year.
Roy IN!!

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Reg wrote:Hurt my toe kicking the seat in front of me in anger at the final whistle of the cup final last year.
Easy done, Reg. I hurt my wrist in the pub watching The Scum score against us (at the Effeminates) a few years back by punching a wall in frustration. Bloody hurt.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

After Maradona's Hand of God goal in 86, I wanted to restart the Falklands War all over again .
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

When Lampard's goal against Germany was ruled out, I picked up a small pair of scissors and lobbed them in the fireplace. Good shot I thought, until they bounced out and hit my new tv screen. It gouged out a piece a couple of millimetres in size. That doesn't sound a lot, but you can't miss it every time there's a dark scene in a film Having said that, if it's a scene with a starry sky, it blends in perfectly.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

I've heard of a lot of Utd fans that were so upset at the 1-6 mauling in the derby that they dropped their remote control.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:I've heard of a lot of Utd fans that were so upset at the 1-6 mauling in the derby that they dropped their remote control.
Indeed. Caused a small siesmic shock in Berkshire

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:After Maradona's Hand of God goal in 86, I wanted to restart the Falklands War all over again .
After that the Scots wanted to ordain him :P
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Reg

Post by Reg »

Evening Del, you keeping well?
Roy IN!!

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Sorry but "12 pack of Tennants" :lol:
Saggers is alive??!!
Talksport is dark and full of errors.
Wilbur did nuffink wrong!