Freedom of Movement

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Royal24s

Re: Freedom of Movement

Post by Royal24s »

I think you should go and see the Gurkahs and tell them how your heart bleeds for them and what a crap country this is. I know they'd love you - perhaps they'd invite you to be their leader or something ?
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

m4 colin wrote:Yes it does Ex Legionnaires are highly valued by the French and you dont see them wrecking other peoples cars and setting fire to their own neighbourhoods

Yes they get citizenship and a big gratuity after twenty years I think, although they can leave every six years if they like. Now you mention it though, this is another ideal opportunity for tick to leave this awful country and I'd be quite happy to help him with the training if you would Colin.
We could start with the bit where you get buried in sand except for your head and gradually go on to live fire excersises so we can teach him to crawl under interlocking fields of fire and barbed wire whilst whistling Le Boudin.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Not quite correct.
French Foreign Legion;
Initial enlistment is for 5 years.
Citizenship can be applied for after 3 years, and is automatically granted if wounded.
The pension of leaving depends on length and type of service, up to a maximum of 80% of salary.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

VeritasVincit wrote:Not quite correct.
French Foreign Legion;
Initial enlistment is for 5 years.
Citizenship can be applied for after 3 years, and is automatically granted if wounded.
The pension of leaving depends on length and type of service, up to a maximum of 80% of salary.

I'm certainly very out of date on it. I did look into it years ago because I thought that'd be a proper challenge but at that time the only way out for the first 6 years was to desert, but they didn't even let you out on a pass during that first period and desertion would go a bit against the grain for me anyway. One of my biggest role models as a kid had been a Col from the Legion with a duelling scar ! He'd worked with my mother during the war and was at the time heavily involved in the OAS in Algerie.
Pity I never had a go at it really .

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

I fancied the uniform, but not what went with it.
The ones I met were from 2e REP in Corsica, and were a real mixture of nationalities, including one from Hull, who spoke English as if he'd learnt it from watching American films.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Yeah, again this was years ago but they didn't let you speak your own language, only French in barracks . They also kept half your wages back till you got a lump sum at the end and advised you to let them keep it all because you might get killed for your money by other legionnaires in barracks. Of course in those days they'd take you even if you were wanted for murder and they'd give you a new name and burn your own passport the day you joined.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

So they had some dubious types there !

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Royal24s wrote:So they had some dubious types there !

The Germans looked to be the scary ones.

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

Royal24s wrote:
m4 colin wrote:Yes it does Ex Legionnaires are highly valued by the French and you dont see them wrecking other peoples cars and setting fire to their own neighbourhoods

Yes they get citizenship and a big gratuity after twenty years I think, although they can leave every six years if they like. Now you mention it though, this is another ideal opportunity for tick to leave this awful country and I'd be quite happy to help him with the training if you would Colin.
We could start with the bit where you get buried in sand except for your head and gradually go on to live fire excersises so we can teach him to crawl under interlocking fields of fire and barbed wire whilst whistling Le Boudin.
Tick in La Legion....Boy I'd love to see that one :lol:
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Royal24s wrote:I think you should go and see the Gurkahs and tell them how your heart bleeds for them and what a crap country this is. I know they'd love you - perhaps they'd invite you to be their leader or something ?

That gig belongs to Joanna Lumley.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Royal24s wrote: They are on average far better educated than our own youngsters

That's quite a bold statement. Backed-up by zero evidence.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

m4 colin wrote:
Royal24s wrote:

Tick in La Legion....Boy I'd love to see that one :lol:

Whereas old padded celled royals would be a shoo in for the armed forces. Yeah right.

And as for you, barrel boy...

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Royal24s wrote:I think you should go and see the Gurkahs and tell them how your heart bleeds for them and what a crap country this is. I know they'd love you - perhaps they'd invite you to be their leader or something ?

I'm sure they'd be delighted with the two faced values of you alt right types.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

The Tick wrote:

I'm sure they'd be delighted with the two faced values of you alt right types.

Interesting thought that in your post above - would I be more use in the armed forces even at my age than you ? Probably , but that's very very sad.
However, you're quite right as usual. I've worked with the Gurkahs and I'm sure there's a hidden yearning within each and every one of them for the sort of stuff you preach.
I would encourage you to approach a group of them when you get the chance and explain all your misgivings about this country and the marvelous virtues of radical Islam .

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

carcinogen wrote:
Royal24s wrote: They are on average far better educated than our own youngsters

That's quite a bold statement. Backed-up by zero evidence.

What would you like, a graph or something ?
It's actually an irritating by product of the dumbed down education system that people demand statistical evidence for obvious and self evident things.
It's quite easy to produce statistics to prove any bloody thing you want by the way, but as they say, you don't need to be a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows.

As far as East Europeans go, I can have casual conversations with them about history and literature which isn't generally going to happen with British workers. They understand very basic bits of physics and science which you need to achieve simple practical tasks without fucking it up or killing someone. As a matter of fact, despite the fact that these guys are just manual workers they often express surprise that I'm " very clever for Englishman " if I happen to say or do something very basic .
Come on , you can surely see the fucking plain ignorance underlying the comments of some people here with their whacky theories. I can recal, when you could have in depth discussions with Welsh coal miners about philosophers and you wouldn't catch them out. Now I regularly meet graduates who don't know the difference between Ontic Trust and a fucking banjo.