Post by Steve Hunt »

Ralph wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:Anyway, trying to get the thread back on topic.

Only a very small proportion of speakers on Radio 4’s Today programme are long-term supporters of leaving the EU, the Civitas think-tank said in a report.

The authors claimed the BBC has been unable to supply an example of a single programme since the June 2016 referendum which has examined the opportunities of Brexit.

Analysis finds that just 3.2% of guests talking about the EU on the Today Programme over ten-year period were pro-Brexit

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5428081/b ... st-brexit/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/camp ... -wtplg6rp0

Hillman's response should be moderately interesting.

Indeed, Roy.

Pretty damning, I'd say.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ecade.html

Civitas said pro-Brexit views have been under-represented on flagship BBC news programmes for decades.

In 274 hours of monitored BBC EU coverage between 2002 and 2017, only 14 speakers (0.2 per cent of the total) were Left-wing advocates for leaving the EU. These 14 contributors delivered 1,680 words, adding up to approximately 12 minutes.

In the same period two strongly pro-EU Tories, Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine, made 28 appearances between them, with contributions totalling 11,208 words – over six times the amount of airtime allocated to all Left-wing Leave supporters.

The authors, David Keighley and Andrew Jubb, wrote: ‘When opinion in favour of leaving the EU has featured, the editorial approach has – at the expense of exploring withdrawal itself – tended heavily towards discrediting and denigrating opposition to the EU as xenophobic.

Ain't that the truth

Pretty much what you & I at least, have been saying for years, and of course, the bbc bias doesn't just begin and end with brexit views, - any view that is not the current politically correct stance is hammered out of the majority of the limelight.

Very true. Just because the BBC doesn't have it's newsreaders say "we hate the Tories, we love Labour", doesn't mean that it does not have a political agenda.

And thanks to Steve for moving the debate back on topic.

Plenty of BBC presenters/editors/management have previously of worked for the Conservative Party/right wing press (or both). And it’s not a rare event for a member of BBC staff to resign & so they can go & work for the Conservative Party.

Don’t believe everything you read in the Daily Mail Darkyboy. The BBC has a very cosy relationship with the Conservative Party.

Only the Remain liberal part of it

Cobblers.

Boris, Gove & David Davis, Jacob Rees-Mogg etc appear on air as often as they want to. They even dig up the likes of Lord Norman Lamont & Lord Nigel Lawson to give them softball interviews on how wonderful Brexit is.

If the BBC is so virulently anti Brexit supporting politicians what’s the explanation for their strange relationship with Nigel Farage. He’s no longer Ukip leader yet he’s still omnipresent on the BBC airwaves. He spends more time in BBC studios than he does in his own home. Which other MEP gets even a fraction of the airtime he does.

Ralph - have you actually read the links to the Civitas study?

As for you rolling out a few names. Let's not forget that 95% of Labour MP's & 100% of LibDems support Remain & get proportionate airtime. Then of course we have Heseltine & Cuddly Ken Clarke - the BBC's favourite dinosaurs.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Re: BBC Bias - Part 2

Post by Ralph »

Darkyboy wrote:Poor old Ralph. Another dismal attempt to derail the thread I would imagine. That went well last time didn't it. :) But, as you are still on ignore I will not get to read your drivel.

:D

You stay in your safe space Darkyboy. I wouldn’t want your sensibilities being offended by reading something you don’t agree with. I know what a delicate little flower you are. :wink:

Ralph
Forum Admin

Re: BBC bias

Post by Ralph »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:Anyway, trying to get the thread back on topic.

Only a very small proportion of speakers on Radio 4’s Today programme are long-term supporters of leaving the EU, the Civitas think-tank said in a report.

The authors claimed the BBC has been unable to supply an example of a single programme since the June 2016 referendum which has examined the opportunities of Brexit.

Analysis finds that just 3.2% of guests talking about the EU on the Today Programme over ten-year period were pro-Brexit

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5428081/b ... st-brexit/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/camp ... -wtplg6rp0

Hillman's response should be moderately interesting.

Indeed, Roy.

Pretty damning, I'd say.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ecade.html

Civitas said pro-Brexit views have been under-represented on flagship BBC news programmes for decades.

In 274 hours of monitored BBC EU coverage between 2002 and 2017, only 14 speakers (0.2 per cent of the total) were Left-wing advocates for leaving the EU. These 14 contributors delivered 1,680 words, adding up to approximately 12 minutes.

In the same period two strongly pro-EU Tories, Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine, made 28 appearances between them, with contributions totalling 11,208 words – over six times the amount of airtime allocated to all Left-wing Leave supporters.

The authors, David Keighley and Andrew Jubb, wrote: ‘When opinion in favour of leaving the EU has featured, the editorial approach has – at the expense of exploring withdrawal itself – tended heavily towards discrediting and denigrating opposition to the EU as xenophobic.

Ain't that the truth

Pretty much what you & I at least, have been saying for years, and of course, the bbc bias doesn't just begin and end with brexit views, - any view that is not the current politically correct stance is hammered out of the majority of the limelight.

Very true. Just because the BBC doesn't have it's newsreaders say "we hate the Tories, we love Labour", doesn't mean that it does not have a political agenda.

And thanks to Steve for moving the debate back on topic.

Plenty of BBC presenters/editors/management have previously of worked for the Conservative Party/right wing press (or both). And it’s not a rare event for a member of BBC staff to resign & so they can go & work for the Conservative Party.

Don’t believe everything you read in the Daily Mail Darkyboy. The BBC has a very cosy relationship with the Conservative Party.

Only the Remain liberal part of it

Cobblers.

Boris, Gove & David Davis, Jacob Rees-Mogg etc appear on air as often as they want to. They even dig up the likes of Lord Norman Lamont & Lord Nigel Lawson to give them softball interviews on how wonderful Brexit is.

If the BBC is so virulently anti Brexit supporting politicians what’s the explanation for their strange relationship with Nigel Farage. He’s no longer Ukip leader yet he’s still omnipresent on the BBC airwaves. He spends more time in BBC studios than he does in his own home. Which other MEP gets even a fraction of the airtime he does.

Ralph - have you actually read the links to the Civitas study?

As for you rolling out a few names. Let's not forget that 95% of Labour MP's & 100% of LibDems support Remain & get proportionate airtime. Then of course we have Heseltine & Cuddly Ken Clarke - the BBC's favourite dinosaurs.

They should have picked a more plausible figure than 3.2%. It’s absolutely absurd to anyone who’s listened to the programme.

How anyone can listen to the Today programme & look at the lineup of their presenters & conclude there’s an anti Brexit/lefty bias is beyond me.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Ralph wrote:
How anyone can listen to the Today programme & look at the lineup of their presenters & conclude there’s an anti Brexit/lefty bias is beyond me.

Well it would be mate. I suspect you are sporting these when it comes to anything Brexit related:

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Ralph wrote:

Well it would be mate. I suspect you are sporting these when it comes to anything Brexit related:

When it comes to Brexit we can’t all be the models of impartiality you are Steve.

The headline figure of that study that only 3.2% of people speaking about Brexit on the Today programme are pro Brexit is utterly ludicrous - unless I’m totally misunderstanding what they’re claiming.

I look forward to them submitting their research for peer review. I assume they will be doing that.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Ralph wrote:
When it comes to Brexit we can’t all be the models of impartiality you are Steve.

That's very true

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Ralph wrote:
I look forward to them submitting their research for peer review. I assume they will be doing that.

I guess so.

The BBC haven't refuted the stats, only the (perfectly logical) implications deduced from them.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Ralph wrote:

I guess so.

The BBC haven't refuted the stats, only the (perfectly logical) implications deduced from them.

Why bother. If the headline claim is so obviously ridiculous......

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

“The authors claimed the BBC has been unable to supply an example of a single programme since the June 2016 referendum which has examined the opportunities of Brexit”

Gives the game away. The BBC rightly doesn’t make North Korean style propaganda about the opportunities Brexit presents. Reminds me of Andrea Leadsom complaining BBC Brexit coverage wasn’t ‘patriotic’ enough. They don’t want impartiality they want Brexit cheerleading from the BBC.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Ralph wrote:“The authors claimed the BBC has been unable to supply an example of a single programme since the June 2016 referendum which has examined the opportunities of Brexit”

Gives the game away. The BBC rightly doesn’t make North Korean style propaganda about the opportunities Brexit presents. Reminds me of Andrea Leadsom complaining BBC Brexit coverage wasn’t ‘patriotic’ enough. They don’t want impartiality they want Brexit cheerleading from the BBC.

No, speaking as a Brexiteer just impartiality would suffice

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Does it not tell you something that there simply arent any prominent, sane brexiteers within any walk of life?

It probably should.
Build Back More Betterer

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Eaststand wrote:Does it not tell you something that there simply arent any prominent, sane brexiteers within any walk of life?

It probably should.

Why do you need to be so fucking sarcastic?

:wink:

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Eaststand wrote:Does it not tell you something that there simply arent any prominent, sane brexiteers within any walk of life?

It probably should.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Build Back More Betterer

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Eaststand wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:

It probably should.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You need to put that in your sig, Easty.

Getting back to the subject. Are you telling me that the prominent cheerleaders of the EU (Blair, Campbell, Clarke, Heseltine, Adonis, Farron, Mandelson etc) are all fine upstanding members of society? I wouldn't trust one of them to run a Sunday School outing.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

No, but they are a hell of more respectable than the batshit insane crew like Farage and..............er, who else?
Build Back More Betterer