Where you going for your summer hols?

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Eaststand

Re: Where you going for your summer hols?

Post by Eaststand »

They are 5 star hotels there. Slightly better than benidorm.
Build Back More Betterer

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

finchman wrote:Kev I've been everywhere mate, and nowt compares to the western Isles.

In January or February?! :shock:

On a tangent Finchy, your folks are from Lewis, aren't they?

I don't know if you're into podcasts, but the well-known US mystery podcast, Astonishing Legends, just did a two parter about the Flannan Isles Lighthouse disappearances in 1903. Really really good they were too. Very comprehensive, creepy and a great interview with the author of the most recent book about the mystery in the second part.

This should be up Kev's street too.

The Mystery of the Flannan Isles Lighthouse: part 1

The Mystery of the Flannan Isles Lighthouse: part 2
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

finchman

Post by finchman »

Cheers Bas, I actually went to the Flannan Isles in the early 70s on my uncles fishing boat,I was about nine at the time.The local fishermen used to fish that area back then.The Spanish trawlers have hoovered up every fish from Newfoundland to Lewis since them days
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Shedboy

Post by Shedboy »

29 working days until I'm off to New York and Las Vegas. Can't fucking wait to get away from my shitey work.

subsub

Post by subsub »

kevin04 wrote:recommend a nice Caribbean island

Have been to the Caribbean a few times, Kev:
Saint Lucia: thick jungle throughout the middle of it, but stunning island. Black (volcanic) sands. Quite a poor island compared with the others.
Antigua: best beaches I have ever seen; most look like a Bounty advert. More affluent place, and more built-up. V nice, and I had a tour of the cricket ground where Harmison took 7-12.
Dominican Republic: learning Spanish (just the basics) is a good idea if you want to get served more quickly in bars. Didn't see tons of the place, but nice enough. Oh, and the sea is much warmer than other bits of the Caribbean I've been to
Bahamas: beautiful, and lovely beaches. Didn't leave the resort much, though, unlike other trips.
WOKE AND PROUD

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Lovely.

Thanks for the ideas guys and esp Sub for the wee profile of the islands he has travelled to.

Quite tempted by Hawaii but went to the USA last year so fancy somewhere different ; but being the stereotypical dour, canny and stingy Scot I want to use up that 2 year visa waiver too :D
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

finchman

Post by finchman »

kev,try Wigan it's very underrated.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Its got a pier and everything.
Build Back More Betterer

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

finchman wrote:
Eaststand wrote:The Dominican Republic is fucking awesome.

Pffffffftt,yer joking it's a fucking shithole,don't leave your hotel because you might get bum raped.

I imagine you've been there a lot

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Well just back at the weekend from Menorca,great family holiday,never under 30C,Grandkids had a ball and we all watched England go out the world cup.English supporter with painted st george crosses on his boat race asked me who I was supporting between England and Croatia.
Told him my great uncle twice removed had Croatian links and that swung it.
Only thing that threatened to spoil the holiday was a big fuck off Tsunami about half a mile away.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

Not heading back to Europe this Christmas so will be heading to Singapore, Thailand and the Barrier reef this December and January. Sounds good but is actually cheaper than heading back home.

Hope everybody enjoys/ has enjoyed their break, wherever that is.

subsub

Post by subsub »

delboy1983 wrote:Well just back at the weekend from Menorca,great family holiday,never under 30C,Grandkids had a ball and we all watched England go out the world cup.English supporter with painted st george crosses on his boat race asked me who I was supporting between England and Croatia.
Only thing that threatened to spoil the holiday was a big fuck off Tsunami about half a mile away.

Whereabouts in Menorca did you go, Del?
We're off there in September (south-east corner) :)
WOKE AND PROUD

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

subsub wrote:
delboy1983 wrote:Well just back at the weekend from Menorca,great family holiday,never under 30C,Grandkids had a ball and we all watched England go out the world cup.English supporter with painted st george crosses on his boat race asked me who I was supporting between England and Croatia.

Stayed in Cala Blanes at Globales Binimar all inclusive but spent a fair amount of time in Jimmy Hills complex just around the corner
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

subsub

Post by subsub »

delboy1983 wrote:
subsub wrote:

Stayed in Cala Blanes at Globales Binimar all inclusive but spent a fair amount of time in Jimmy Hills complex just around the corner

That's in Ciutadella, on the west coast, right?
WOKE AND PROUD

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

subsub wrote:
delboy1983 wrote:
subsub wrote:

That's in Ciutadella, on the west coast, right?

Ciutadella was a 20 min bus trip and we went for a day to go on a boat trip and another day to look about.Old town with many new design outlets very picturesque and pricey..
Where are you staying.
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year