Currently Reading

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
shabbado

Re: Currently Reading

Post by shabbado »

I read Primo Levi's If This Is A Man when i was a student (many, many years ago) and it made a lasting impression.

A joyless arsehole.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

An interesting novel. It's fairly long, and it writes much like a diary or someone's thoughts. So if you are not to in to first person novels and lots of ''I went, I felt..'' etc you may get bored ; but I really enjoyed it. Some of the scenarios played out and explained were well written and even funny. I picked this up in the library on the back of nothing - read the blurb and seen it was about a Turkish-American going to Hungary on her summer job exchange in 1995 - and was sold.

Started this as well. It's quite short, but about two western men working in a now at peace Middle Eastern country rebuilding their infrastructure. One wants to party, drink and have a good time ; the other just wants to do his job and go home to his wife.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Three more books for the month :

Started on this

About a Moroccan-American family living and growing up in the west coast of the USA. The father dies by a hit and run, and whilst going through the process in trying to find the suspect, they find out he was having an affair. Short paragraphs told through the voices of about 7/8 different characters in the story e.g the grown up kids ; the driver ; the cop in charge of the case etc. The main character sounds about my age so its interesting hearing about being a first-generation of muslim descent immigrant in the US.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Suhari wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:17 pm
Roddy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:35 pm There is a new Rebus book out in October. 8)
y e s

The Times gave it a glowing review. Please let me know your thoughts on the book, Roddy and Suhari.
Interestingly, I've always wanted to visit Edinburgh. Maybe next year.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

A bit of a weepy: Hitch 22: A Memoir by Christopher Hitchens (2010)
Paradise Lost - Penguin's Classics edn. (2003)
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

shabbado wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:26 pm I read Primo Levi's If This Is A Man when i was a student (many, many years ago) and it made a lasting impression.

Read it years ago as well, masterful book.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Reading gone shit since lockdown. Still on this which must restart as it's sitting there on my bedside shelf staring at me, about 100 pages in:

And for some light relief, just started this:

gheko

Post by gheko »

Carlos J wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:37 pm Reading gone shit since lockdown. Still on this which must restart as it's sitting there on my bedside shelf staring at me, about 100 pages in:

I am watching the TV adaptation at the moment. Quite good.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

gheko wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:41 pm
Carlos J wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:37 pm Reading gone shit since lockdown. Still on this which must restart as it's sitting there on my bedside shelf staring at me, about 100 pages in:

Just saw whilst looking for the pic, Gheko, there was a TV series based on it. Will finish and then watch on Prime. Glad it's good. What I've read of the book so far is fascinating.

Suhari

Post by Suhari »

Carlos J wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:51 pm

Just saw whilst looking for the pic, Gheko, there was a TV series based on it. Will finish and then watch on Prime. Glad it's good. What I've read of the book so far is fascinating.
Interesting. Not convinced I'd read it, but will take a look at the TV show.

(Just how lazy/dullard is that comment!)
I might have done one - not sure but possible.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Suhari wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:23 pm
Carlos J wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:51 pm

Interesting. Not convinced I'd read it, but will take a look at the TV show.

(Just how lazy/dullard is that comment!)
Fecking lazy. :) Has a similar cover to 'The New Pearl Harbour' though same light bown/beige/orange, so maybe that.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

I'm on a serious James Ellroy kick.
Normally with Ellroy when I read one of his books then I need my brain scrubbed with an old favourite, a Wodehouse or a Flashman novel. And I love Ellroy but you do need a mental sorbet between courses.
But for some reason I'm on my third straight Ellroy.
I - finally - finished Perfidia, which I left half finished for so e reason that I've forgotten, which is the first of his second L.A. Quartet (oh do keep up at the back!) and went on to his latest and second in the second L.A. Quartet, This Storm. Finished that and, well let's just say it's a little labyrinthine, but I enjoyed it enough to give me a hankering to read American Tabloid again, which is one of my favourite all time books.

I think of Ellroy as a Angeleno Roddy. And I mean that as a huge compliment to both.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Basualdo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:54 pm I'm on a serious James Ellroy kick.
Normally with Ellroy when I read one of his books then I need my brain scrubbed with an old favourite, a Wodehouse or a Flashman novel. And I love Ellroy but you do need a mental sorbet between courses.
But for some reason I'm on my third straight Ellroy.
I - finally - finished Perfidia, which I left half finished for so e reason that I've forgotten, which is the first of his second L.A. Quartet (oh do keep up at the back!) and went on to his latest and second in the second L.A. Quartet, This Storm. Finished that and, well let's just say it's a little labyrinthine, but I enjoyed it enough to give me a hankering to read American Tabloid again, which is one of my favourite all time books.

I think of Ellroy as a Angeleno Roddy. And I mean that as a huge compliment to both.
Takes us ack to page 57 and bought it and 'Black Dahlia'. Not read either yet. :( I blame time, though have progressed another 100 or so pages on 'The Looming Tower' And might just watch episode 1 of the TV series as sure past that part of the book. Well, up to just post-Afghanistan now in the book.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

A Song For The Dark Times – Ian Rankin (2020)
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

Jim1981

Post by Jim1981 »

Reading. What are youse like, benders?