Group B -Portugal v Spain

Roddy

Re: Group B -Portugal v Spain

Post by Roddy »

Carlos J wrote:
Roddy wrote:Flucky O.G. :roll:

Wrong thread, Roddy. ;)

Ha, :oops:
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Did anyone hear Durham in his post match comments going on and on about the match to the point where he actually said, if he could, he would propose to the match?

Durham trying too hard to prove he 'knows' his football, I reckon.

Mike Graham in typical synical and sarcastic mode mentioned this.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

tennisman wrote:Did anyone hear Durham in his post match comments going on and on about the match to the point where he actually said, if he could, he would propose to the match?

Durham trying too hard to prove he 'knows' his football, I reckon.

Mike Graham in typical synical and sarcastic mode mentioned this.

They replayed it on Bingham's show. And mocked. Pitiful.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

VeritasVincit wrote:Free kicks near goal.

When there is a wall, the keeper often cannot actually see the kicker and the ball until it passes the wall.
What would happen if the wall left a single player gap directly in line with the kicker and the keeper.
Then he would see the direction the ball was heading right away. Wouldn’t it give him a slight time advantage ever what happens now. If the attackers decided to put one of their players in the gap, the defenders could wait until the last minute and one of them move.

There must be a flaw in this. What is it?

Good question, VV.

As I've ranted on a few times before on hear, based on my years teaching tennis players about doing split steps, it's an area that I look at with some frustration at times with goalkeepers at a world level, in that some of them seem to have no idea about the principle and practice of that piece of footwork.

But on the 3rd goal, I reckon that having watched it from all the angles shown on various Twitter feeds, even if DdG did his split step and launched to his left in reaction to the shot (assuming he saw the strike), it is very unlikely, he would have even got a hand to the ball as it was on a trajectory just inside the post and also, after hitting a defender, looping over and then downwards as it crossed the line.

The goal where he failed to stop R's left foot strike is far more intriguing for me, as he seemed in line with the ball but somehow, failed to catch it (a skill fast receding in goalkeeper's bag of tricks these days), a bit like Rob Green's howler letting Dempsey's hot in, back in SA 2010.