Anything sportlike
sammy

Re: The Horse Racing Thread - Part 2

Post by sammy »

carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Should have mentioned Faugheen re Morgiana in previous post. If my figures are correct it would seem like his best days are behind him as a 2 miler in G1 company, seems to have lost that devastating kick and with it the tactical speed needed in top company. Step up in trip (20F+) looks the way forward.
carefree

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

sammy wrote:Should have mentioned Faugheen re Morgiana in previous post. If my figures are correct it would seem like his best days are behind him as a 2 miler in G1 company, seems to have lost that devastating kick and with it the tactical speed needed in top company. Step up in trip (20F+) looks the way forward.

Or might he go chasing, do you think?
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

sammy wrote:Enable to stay in training :D

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... ent=Enable

Great news.

I look forward to a re-match with Sea of Class :D
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

sammy

Post by sammy »

Petingo wrote:
sammy wrote:Should have mentioned Faugheen re Morgiana in previous post. If my figures are correct it would seem like his best days are behind him as a 2 miler in G1 company, seems to have lost that devastating kick and with it the tactical speed needed in top company. Step up in trip (20F+) looks the way forward.

Usual age to switch from hurdles to fences is six/seven. At that age Faugheen had just landed the Neptune in 2014 and the following season was probably the time to send him novice chasing. Had Mullins not had two talented horses in the ill fated Vautour (Supreme winner that year) and Douvan waiting in the wings (Supreme winner the following year) the decision may have been different. He obviously thought the latter two were more chasing types and so it proved.

It's not unusual for a horse to stay an extra year hurdling, Sire De Grugy, Dodging Bullets, Sizing Europe and Moscow Flyer are examples and all went on to have success over the bigger obstacles. Switching as a 10 yo though is trickier and the obvious question is what do the connections hope to achieve, if it was Mullins decision alone I believe he'd stick to hurdling but you never know when you have an owner like Ricci having an input.
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Petingo wrote:

Great news.

Yes, mouthwatering clash, fingers crossed both a fit and well on the day.

SOC won't be receiving a 7lb allowance from Enable in the Arc this time though.
carefree

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

sammy wrote:
Petingo wrote:

Great news.

And hopefully Enable will have an injury uninterrupted and proper campaign unde4 her belt next year.

I wonder will they meet before the Arc....la high summer showdown in the King George would be good :D

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

sammy wrote:
Petingo wrote:

Usual age to switch from hurdles to fences is six/seven. At that age Faugheen had just landed the Neptune in 2014 and the following season was probably the time to send him novice chasing. Had Mullins not had two talented horses in the ill fated Vautour (Supreme winner that year) and Douvan waiting in the wings (Supreme winner the following year) the decision may have been different. He obviously thought the latter two were more chasing types and so it proved.

It's not unusual for a horse to stay an extra year hurdling, Sire De Grugy, Dodging Bullets, Sizing Europe and Moscow Flyer are examples and all went on to have success over the bigger obstacles. Switching as a 10 yo though is trickier and the obvious question is what do the connections hope to achieve, if it was Mullins decision alone I believe he'd stick to hurdling but you never know when you have an owner like Ricci having an input.

Ah, I hadn’t realised Faugheen was ten.

Stayer’s Hurdler the target then.

sammy

Post by sammy »

Petingo wrote:
sammy wrote:
Petingo wrote:

Great news.

And hopefully Enable will have an injury uninterrupted and proper campaign unde4 her belt next year.

I wonder will they meet before the Arc....la high summer showdown in the King George would be good :D

It'll certainly be interesting to see how they're campaigned next term.

Think the Fillies & Mares stakes will be too close to the Arc but surely both have to meet in either Coronation Cup, King George or Yorkshire Oaks if they stick to 12F.

I'll have a feckin mass said in their honour if they meet in all three :)
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Petingo wrote:
sammy wrote:
Petingo wrote:

Ah, I hadn’t realised Faugheen was ten.

Stayer’s Hurdler the target then.

Given what he did at Punchestown last backend that would seem to be the call.
carefree

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

sammy wrote:
Petingo wrote:
sammy wrote:
Petingo wrote:

Great news.

It'll certainly be interesting to see how they're campaigned next term.

Think the Fillies & Mares stakes will be too close to the Arc but surely both have to meet in either Coronation Cup, King George or Yorkshire Oaks if they stick to 12F.

I'll have a feckin mass said in their honour if they meet in all three :)

:lol:

sammy

Post by sammy »

Was at Ascot on Sat so have only seen replays of Betfair chase. Didn't like the way Mite Bite dropped away tamely after the last and usually a sign somethings not quite right. Wouldn't be surprised to see him penciled in for a wind op in near future. Alternatively it may be the last two runs at Cheltenham & Aintree have left a mark on him, GC a brutal test particularly in testing conditions. Next run ought to reveal all although wouldn't be taking the current odds on him for King George VI.

Native River stayed on relentlessly in a race that didn't play to his strengths (more speed based than stamina) and connections must be delighted with his reappearence. King George VI up next although not sure if Kempton entirely suits particularly if going comes up lively.

Thistlecrack despite jumping errors and being on/off bridle throughout made an excellent return after almost a year off the track showing he still has an appetite by staying on well all the way to the line. Landed the King George VI as a novice prior to things falling apart so whilst C/D holds no fear still have the feeling he currently has a little way to go to recapture that form.
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Had a close up look at another KGVI contender in Politologue at Ascot. Saw him a few times last year where he was well placed to pick up some nice prizes along the way but just didn't have the class to match Altior in QM at Cheltenham. Connections applied a hood & tongue tie and stepped him up to 2M 5F for his final outing at Aintree where he went off an unfancied 11/1 shot. He battled on gamely that day to land the spoils by a neck from the fav Min with probably his best performance of the season.

He looked fit & well for his reappearence in G2 over 2M 5F and apart from the final fence jumped well to win with more in hand than the official margin. Question now is can he step up to 3M and be competitive at G1 level. Ideally would like to have seen him attempt 3M before the KGVI as records show the last 21 winners had all been over 3M+ prior to winning the race. I realise it's only a single stat but many top class horses have tried and failed in that period, 30 to be precise. Having said that, connections really have nothing to lose by going for the KGVI, if he fails to stay then the Ryanair would appear a plausible target.
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Nice chasing debut from Supreme third Mengli Khan at Punchestown this afternoon. Jumped well, attacking the fences until Russell let him pop the last two. Obviously need to see him jump at pace in a faster run 2M but did everything asked of him here. Bookies shorten him up from 12s to 7s for the Arkle.
carefree

sammy

Post by sammy »

Buveur d'Air, Samcro and Summerville Boy all stand their ground for Saturday's Fighting Fifth Hurdle at Newcastle.
carefree