Tennisman , how?

Anything sportlike
pugsly

Tennisman , how?

Post by pugsly »

I always read your posts , I wont fuck about, am asking you , what's your perception ? how do you define a great sportsperson?, am asking this because , av loved sport all my life, from boxing to football, to rugby [ Andy Irvine ] just a flick of the hips, [ Paul MCstay] just stopping it . I know this sounds mad but true talented sports persons are magical[ Chic Charnley], unlike many I cant be having this World class tag hung on mediocrity

Carc, Carlos, Tennisman,the way Duran enterd the ring , is it there brilliance and vunrebilty ?, what makes, so great

carcinogen

Re: Tennisman , how?

Post by carcinogen »

I define a great sportsman as someone who transcends their sport. Someone who marks a mark in popular culture. Johann Cruyff in football for example, everyone knows 'The Cruyff Turn'. Muhammed Ali is another obvious example. Personally I am a huge fan of Lance Armstrong, but clearly he comes with a lot of baggage.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

subsub

Post by subsub »

carcinogen wrote:Personally I am a huge fan of Lance Armstrong, but clearly he comes with a lot of baggage.

The serial cheat? Yeah, I'd say that's a fair bit of baggage…
WOKE AND PROUD

the puddin

Post by the puddin »

If you're looking at drugs in sport I'd say that it's rife. The more money a sport has the better they are at hiding it.
"It's what we do...."

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

pugsly wrote:I always read your posts , I wont fuck about, am asking you , what's your perception ? how do you define a great sportsperson?, am asking this because , av loved sport all my life, from boxing to football, to rugby [ Andy Irvine ] just a flick of the hips, [ Paul MCstay] just stopping it . I know this sounds mad but true talented sports persons are magical[ Chic Charnley], unlike many I cant be having this World class tag hung on mediocrity

Carc, Carlos, Tennisman,the way Duran enterd the ring , is it there brilliance and vunrebilty ?, what makes, so great

Pugsly - Sorry, I didn't see this thread until now.

However, I'm afraid that I can't even begin to start thinking about this one as I'm in the early stages of making some major changes in my circumstances including the ending of Goals and Wickets and that is a simple thing to write but not so simple in reality with a mass of work requited to sell the stock.

After 10 years, it's time for a change. The Ebay side of things especially, which was always a slog has become a weight and not one I can rise to the challenge to meet anymore. Also, proving that I could never be a journalist meeting deadlines etc, writing on the blog has also become more like work and not much fun, as it was when I began.

Thing is with debates about legends, greats, GOATS and the rest is that no-one defines a set of criteria by which you can appraise the top performers.

That task is the first thing I'd do.

Like a programme on TV many years ago which did exactly that and then top sportspeople put other top people through the criteria.

Can't remember the name of the programme, unfortunately.

PS Thanks for asking me.