Gilette.....the best an ad man can get?

In-depth debate on all topical issues
beingsoblase

Re: Gilette.....the best an ad man can get?

Post by beingsoblase »

Jon Gout wrote:The advert was a response to the message the company has been promoting for decades though, isn't it? They're showing they're going against what they might have appeared to be going for before. It wouldn't make any sense for them to make an advert addressing every moral problem that exists. Getting worked up over it when you believe it isn't about you is like seeing an advert aimed at drivers about the dangers of drinking and driving and saying "Well I'm a driver and I don't drink and drive, wah wah wah!"

Their aim was to get people talking about them, and it worked. I don't even remember the last time I'd said the brand name before this. Probably in the early 00s.

The only message they should be promoting is "buy our razors, they're really good" and that advert paints women in a bad light too, as they seem to need a black hero to stop the white sexists.

And Anna kasparian? Really?
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

beingsoblase wrote: The only message they should be promoting is "buy our razors, they're really good"

How have we got to page four until someone has said that?

Must be some reason I guess.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

The most effective advertising generally has little to do with the quality of an actual product, especially when that product is no better or worse than most alternatives. It was an advert for the brand anyway, not a specific product.

antdad

Post by antdad »

Advertising is rarely about the product anymore rather brand messaging and awareness, bring back the fabulous Baker boy doorstepping a gilf with a packet of Daz.

Anyhow isn't this really like the old Lynx ads that appealed to the mum's of teenage boys? The girlfriends and wives are now buying the cartridges for their men to demonstrate he really isn't too creepy or rapey.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

The weirdest thing about these ads is how there are so many people willing to fight the corner of a massive corporation.

They dont give a flying fuck about the fucking point theyre trying to make in the advert, the only point they are trying to land is "BUY OUR SHITTY RAZORS, WE DONT CARE IF YOU ARE A MISOGYNIST OR ENJOY RAPING WOMEN, OUR ONLY AIM IS TO SELL RAZORS" thats literally it, people are actually so fucking retarded they think gillete cares about this, other than USING a subject to make money.

Its a good job this audience is mainly the what I call the "fucked" audience ie, the 25-50 year olds who are too fucking dumb to understand what is happening, the want to be cool and plug into every trend, the dying audience, who views TV adverts as even vaguely relevant, without realising traditional Tv is dead, has been dead for many years, and anyone with any awareness knows that youtube and the like is the future, and if you take anything other than "Gillette are the most pathetic wannabe tryhard manipulative bunch of faggots ever", you're retarded.

Its a strange world we are living in. A giant company tries to influence itself over a population using the same ways it did in the 80s when human beings had many less information streams available to them, and expect the same results.

Its fucking insane. Theres no excuse here. This is the most badly thought out advert ever. Its like they expected no opposition to to the advert (which they wouldnt have done in the 80s or 90s) and just casually expected everyone to agree with it. And in the 80 and 90s we probably would have done, and if we didnt, no one would have ever been able to tell anyone about the fact we didnt.
Build Back More Betterer

paolo

Post by paolo »

burning my gillettes

adding to my pile of burnt nykees
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Like the old Rutles joke......people were buying the LPs just to burn them...that'll teach em.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.