New Labour Party

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Royal24s

Re: New Labour Party

Post by Royal24s »

Vespa wrote:
Royal24s wrote: Probably meant representing the views of constituents who expect M.Ps to respect an electoral outcome. That's a pretty common view in society you know

You vote for a constituency MP to represent the constituency. That is the entire reason constituencies exist, they are elected to represent their constituency, not their party.

I thought that was commonly understood in society.

Incorrect .
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

So what does the phrase "representing their constituents" mean?

His CONSTITUENTS did not vote for Brexit, let alone the disaster of a no-deal exit.

Re the new group of MPs, I think they may get a few more now others see it's safe to do so.

And I have a feeling that David Milliband will offer himself as a leader.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Hillman avenger wrote:So what does the phrase "representing their constituents" mean?

His CONSTITUENTS did not vote for Brexit, let alone the disaster of a no-deal exit.

Re the new group of MPs, I think they may get a few more now others see it's safe to do so.

And I have a feeling that David Milliband will offer himself as a leader.

Maidenhead voted remain, so are you saying that May should refuse to negotiate to leave. What utter nonesense.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Royal24s wrote:
Vespa wrote:
Royal24s wrote: Probably meant representing the views of constituents who expect M.Ps to respect an electoral outcome. That's a pretty common view in society you know

You vote for a constituency MP to represent the constituency. That is the entire reason constituencies exist, they are elected to represent their constituency, not their party.

I thought that was commonly understood in society.

Incorrect .

Well, now you understand it.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Well no mate. It's a Parliamentry system and what you theoretically vote for if you choose a candidate from a Party is the manifesto of that particular party , not the views of the constituents.
That's just the fact of it. Not anything I'm advocating but that's the way it works .

EG. If closing Liverpool docks was in the Labour manifesto and people in Liverpool chose to vote for a labour candidate , they must expect him to vote for the closure.

In terms of the referrendum, if Parliament chooses to ask directions from the electorate on a particular question, then they are constitutionally and morally bound to act according to that direction. They don't have to allow a referendum in the first place but if they do then it is a democratic outcome of equal value and importance to a General Election.

In neither case is there a statutory requirement to comply with the vote , but if they can get away with over ruling a referrendum vote, it would be a precedent enabling them to similarly over rule a general election vote.
It's actually very important that everyone abides by the outcome of the voting process, since it is the convention which has prevented civil war in developed societies for a long time.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

LOL. Deggles Hatton’s been suspended from Labour days after being admitted back.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Royal24s wrote:Well no mate. It's a Parliamentry system and what you theoretically vote for if you choose a candidate from a Party is the manifesto of that particular party , not the views of the constituents.

You fundamentally misunderstand the Parliamentary system. We do not have a party based electoral system for MPs, that's why they are called constituency MPs.

The premise is that MPs are voted by their local communities to represent those communities. That's why it's called a representative democracy.

The clues really are in the names.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

It's interesting to see R24s , when it suits, tell us that it's only about manifestos and MPs following the whip. A system which he has told us several times is contrary to democracy.

And as in the 2015 election all three major parties supported the EU in their manifestos, you have to ask whether the activities of the Tory eurosceptics since then had any legitimacy.

And if you like the idea of MPs putting party policy before constituency preferences, you will love Proportional Representation as it hands power to the parties to herd MPs all the time.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Hillman avenger wrote:It's interesting to see R24s , when it suits, tell us that it's only about manifestos and MPs following the whip. A system which he has told us several times is contrary to democracy.

And as in the 2015 election all three major parties supported the EU in their manifestos, you have to ask whether the activities of the Tory eurosceptics since then had any legitimacy.

And if you like the idea of MPs putting party policy before constituency preferences, you will love Proportional Representation as it hands power to the parties to herd MPs all the time.

In his model, anything not in a party manifesto can't be passed into law. Also, anyone not voting for the MPs party that wins has zero say in any local policy that impacts them.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Hillman avenger wrote:It's interesting to see R24s , when it suits, tell us that it's only about manifestos and MPs following the whip. A system which he has told us several times is contrary to democracy.

Yeah it absolutely is contrary to proper democracy , and I told your chum that when I explained the way it works .
He and you give off point examples because you're simply not having it, but what I said stands ,and that is that M.P's are entitled and expected to vote for the manifesto in preference to the wishes of their constituents.
I didn't say that only things in the manifesto can be legislated , and I certainly didn't say that M.P's can't campaign against it or refuse to support it, just that they're entitled to give it preference over local wishes.

What I certainly didn't say is that a manifesto commitment stands if defeated in a referrendum called by Parliament. I merely clarified the workings of the system as it exists, which is not really a reason to try and re argue an issue which the people have spoken upon.

I didn't intend to continue this perpetual argument about Brexit because the matter is settled.

paolo

Post by paolo »

beware the devil....craving love.....he could well be something to do with this uprising

lynton

scum
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

This has the cottagers mucky blood-soaked paw prints all over it. And expect the creepy ghoulish spin-doctor to be lurking in the shadows.
#remember Dr.Kelly
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

paolo

Post by paolo »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:This has the cottagers mucky blood-soaked paw prints all over it. And expect the creepy ghoulish spin-doctor to be lurking in the shadows.
#remember Dr.Kelly

Absolutely

King of the D Notice

Bastard son to Derry

Wife with s fizzog like the joker

32nd degree mason

Lest ye forget

He will never be forgiven
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:This has the cottagers mucky blood-soaked paw prints all over it. And expect the creepy ghoulish spin-doctor to be lurking in the shadows.
#remember Dr.Kelly

People don't know what bastards Fulham are. It's probably their latest desperate move to avoid relegation but it won't work