Notre Dame

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Petingo

Re: Notre Dame

Post by Petingo »

Zambo wrote:Did they get Quasi out?

:lol:
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Jon Gout wrote:The most overrated tourist site on the planet! I'm not sure how it ever became the most famous cathedral when it's not even the oldest or biggest. Just a dark and dingy, grubby little place. Very tacky inside too with all the shops and begging nuns. The McDonalds of religious buildings.

Yes, but it was imortalised by the Hunchback and the most iconic college football team in America.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Jon Gout wrote:The most overrated tourist site on the planet! I'm not sure how it ever became the most famous cathedral when it's not even the oldest or biggest. Just a dark and dingy, grubby little place. Very tacky inside too with all the shops and begging nuns. The McDonalds of religious buildings.

No, for me that would have to be Checkpoint Charlie.

What a wate of time a visit there is :(

subsub

Post by subsub »

Jon's days as a Parisian tour guide were short lived…
WOKE AND PROUD

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I’m glad the main building has survived . A Least Paris hasn’t been ruined with novelty skyscrapers and it’s not known for knife crime unlike certain capital cities.
Man U and rangers

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

theleader82 wrote:I’m glad the main building has survived . A Least Paris hasn’t been ruined with novelty skyscrapers and it’s not known for knife crime unlike certain capital cities.

I used to spend a lot of my working life in Paris up to around 15 years ago - it was a very pleasant & safe place to walk around back then - I'd be interested to know if that were still the case.
Views of Notre Dame at night whilst enjoying a coffee or wine on the seine are pleasant memories, - such a shame.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Some horrible and disrespectful comments, which shouldn't surprise me .
This was a consecrated cathedral made more holy by the prayers and events of nearly a thousand years and relics of many Saint including St Denis.
They're being quite evasive about the cause of the fire and I'd like to know how this happened.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Not commenting until it's been investigated isn't being evasive. It's pointless making comments or assumptions until an investigation has been made, and these things take time, especially with such large buildings. Even a simple house fire wouldn't have an official cause released mere hours after it had started, so you might want to stop being so paranoid about this one.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

That's like not betting on a horse race until we know who won.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

The BBC are repeatedly referring to it as a "rebirth" and claiming repeatedly that most French people aren't Christians anymore. When a French woman denied this and complained that Christianity was denied in the EU Constitution she was hurriedly talked over in the way that happens if a live guest strays from PC dogma.

How very strange it is that the cause of the fire is being brushed over in this way.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I think the same kind of head scratching may be taking place that we saw when security forces struggled to find a link between several jihadi attacks involving trucks of peace.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

m4rkb wrote:That's like not betting on a horse race until we know who won.

The French authorities not releasing speculation on the cause not even 24 hours after it started isn't like this at all. If they did say they assume it to be related to the renovation works, people like you and Royal would believe it was Islamic terrorist-related instead. If they say nothing at all, you think the same. If they stay quiet until they've investigated, you think they're hiding something whatever they found the cause to be.

How quickly do you expect the site to be safe enough for an investigation to take place and for the investigation to be completed? :lol:
Last edited by Jon Gout on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I have a healthy suspicion of a lot of things.
What is reported has suddenly risen up the ranks heavily in recent times.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

You'd prefer it to be that, wouldn't you? If there was a choice between it being a forgetful worker who left a blowtorch on while he went for lunch, and a Muslim somehow lighting a fire without anyone noticing, you'd choose the latter to be true.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Roy Twing wrote:
theleader82 wrote:I’m glad the main building has survived . A Least Paris hasn’t been ruined with novelty skyscrapers and it’s not known for knife crime unlike certain capital cities.

I used to spend a lot of my working life in Paris up to around 15 years ago - it was a very pleasant & safe place to walk around back then - I'd be interested to know if that were still the case.
Views of Notre Dame at night whilst enjoying a coffee or wine on the seine are pleasant memories, - such a shame.

Not at weekends. There’s a load of fucking idiots in yellow vests fighting the police and each other.