Re: Bird’s World Cup, Euros & WSL

Anything sportlike
Jonathan

Re: Bird’s World Cup

Post by Jonathan »

subsub wrote:
tennisman wrote: I don't think any of the media coverage suggests that the stuff is anywhere near as good as the men but it's the positioning of its importance and significance that is an ongoing wind-up for me.

The BBC but also TS are full on with their coverage and promotion as if its as important as the Mens game. The likes of Jonathan Pearce and Sam Matterface go on about player X having spent time at Real Madrid as if its on the same level as Eden Hazard or player Y having scored X goals for Barcelona as if its somehow comparable with Saurez because they both play for Barca.

The coverage and positioning is disproportionate to the reality

Spot on, tennisman.
Eniola Aluko – whose weekly column in the Guardian is simply dreadful, trotting out clichés and non-opinions, which is why comments are always pre-moderated to stop the abuse – is one of the worst ("Oh, I've played in Champions League finals, so I know the pressure these guys are under") Er, no you don't, because they got bugger-all attendance and viewing figures by comparison.

I understand that there will be a disproportionately high amount of coverage to get the women's game in people's minds, but I find it very odd that you get these misleading headlines such as "Chelsea thrash West Ham 5-0" with nothing to suggest that it's a woman's fixture.

I enjoy women's cricket; the World Cup final the other year was great drama. But women's football is still pretty mediocre and to give it this over-inflated platform does nothing but wind up sports fans, in my opinion.

The reality is all broadcasters are pushing women’s sport. The lead story at 1200 on SSN was the England v Scotland game and they had a big choice today.

The standard of women’s cricket is no better than the football. Mediocre at best. You enjoyed the drama purely because it was a close final.

I enjoyed watching the Olympic Games women’s hockey final because it was dramatic at the end. Wouldn’t go out my way to watch any other games.

Personally I don’t mind them having their day in the sun. If England do well then people will watch on the telly.

The reality is it will never match the men’s game but what sport does ?

The End

Post by The End »

Women's football has come a long way but the attention it gets from the BBC is embarrassing.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Well, what an absolute comedy of errors that Aus v Italy game was.
Aus 1st goal: penalty, saved, rebound bundled home
Italy equaliser: defender takes a heavy touch, Italy player pounces, then falls over like JT in the CL final but the ball creeps in
Italy winner: goalie thinks about jumping for corner, doesn't, Italy player heads it, defender goes to clear it off the line but misses.

What a spectacle of football for the neutral!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
WOKE AND PROUD

Northern Troglodite

Post by Northern Troglodite »

Think of womens football as dog shit on the path ,mostly avoidable ........but, sometimes you will step into it &think , why the fuck did i do that

women goalkeepers , are they all that :D :D, Durham won't ask that un !!!
Bring on "The Clutcher :)

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

We should think of women as dog shit?
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

subsub wrote:Well, what an absolute comedy of errors that Aus v Italy game was.
Italy equaliser: defender takes a heavy touch, Italy player pounces, then falls over like JT in the CL final but the ball creeps in
Italy winner: goalie thinks about jumping for corner, doesn't, Italy player heads it, defender goes to clear it off the line but misses.

The bigger question is why the fuck were you watching women’s football :shock: :lol:

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

There’s cricket, darts, men’s football and tennis on now with F1 to come later. No need to bother with anything else. I caught a replay of the goals from Friday night and I swear the Korean keeper had never been on a football pitch before. I suspect they forgot to bring one and commandeered a stewardess from the flight over.
There's no poem, just prose.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Jonathan wrote:

The bigger question is why the fuck were you watching :x :lol: women’s football :shock: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Especially with the feast of sport current on.

Northern Troglodite

Post by Northern Troglodite »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:We should think of women as dog shit?

Womens football my friend, don't twist it to ANYTHING else
Bring on "The Clutcher :)

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

LOL. The Scotch losing 2-0 at half time in the arl tarts’ World Cup.

No longer the Bridesmaid

PHWWWOOOARRRR

subsub

Post by subsub »

kancutlawns wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

The bigger question is why the fuck were you watching :x :lol: women’s football :shock: :lol:

Especially with the feast of sport current on.

:lol:
Watched the goals on the Beeb site. No Italian stunners, alas. The goals were shit, too...
WOKE AND PROUD

Shedboy

Post by Shedboy »

kancutlawns wrote:LOL. The Scotch losing 2-0 at half time in the arl tarts’ World Cup.
On a positive note, they ended up scoring a World Cup goal after 79 minutes; the men's team haven't managed that in 21 years. :lol:

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

:lol: :lol:

No longer the Bridesmaid

Any showercam feeds