Clive Tyldesley joins talkSPORT

Talksport - the main station discussion place
Erskine Might

Re: Clive Tyldesley joins talkSPORT

Post by Erskine Might »

Like a duck to wawder, as he would put it.

Not much of a surprise, given he spent years in radio before moving to TV.

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Listened to the final 15 minutes of the first half and was amazed by what I heard. Clear description of the game, all players pronounced correctly, an understanding of what was happening, no scripted lines and no banal chat.

It was almost a professional set-up.

kentred1

Post by kentred1 »

No doubting he is way above the level of Matterface and Proudfoot

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

Anyone can do a Proudfoot impression: just cross your legs really tightly, hold your breath, and then shout stuff out until you lose consciousness.

With Natterface, all you need to do is put a peg on your nose, channel Kenneth Williams, and only use phrases that you can't quite remember.

The sad thing is Clive Tiddley only sounds good by comparison with these two dullards. He's always confused chronic sarcasm for wit (Jon Champion is another one, only even worse), he struggles pronouncing the names of 'all them foreigners,' he seems unable to pronounce a 't' as a 't' instead of a 'd', and he, like seemingly all of his contemporaries, thinks that all fans watching their own team are actually desperate to listen to completely irrelevant speculations about the England national team. At least he's not past it like Motson is past it, but it's still no treat to hear him.

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Biggles is on tonight fellas. Used to like Chris Cooper and his growling me.

kentred1

Post by kentred1 »

No more Clive on TS

The Big Step
@the_bigstep
·
5h
Big moment: The voice of football takes a stand against gambling advertising 👏

Thank you @CliveTyldesley

https://mirror.co.uk/sport/football/new ... v-30186821

Harry Lemon

Post by Harry Lemon »

The odious metric wanker won't be missed!

antdad

Post by antdad »

"whilst not looking to preach to others, felt uncomfortable at being expected to promote gambling companies and odds during live commentaries."

Good for him cos it's insideous stuff imo. Advertise betting/odds in a distinct advert by all means, getting commentators to interweave betting chat and odds into the comms shouldn't be allowed.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Fair fucken fucks Hawaii clive-o
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

subsub

Post by subsub »

antdad wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:01 am "whilst not looking to preach to others, felt uncomfortable at being expected to promote gambling companies and odds during live commentaries."

Good for him cos it's insideous stuff imo. Advertise betting/odds in a distinct advert by all means, getting commentators to interweave betting chat and odds into the comms shouldn't be allowed.
Indeed.
WOKE AND PROUD

antdad

Post by antdad »

subsub wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:06 am
antdad wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:01 am "whilst not looking to preach to others, felt uncomfortable at being expected to promote gambling companies and odds during live commentaries."

Indeed.
You're a wordsmith would you know anymore of the technicalities of that Sub? I looked into it when TS first started doing it with their "game sponsors" i.e talking about the game and then spielling off odds and promoting the company in the same sentence. Even officially complained about it, thought it was a clear infringement of radio ad regs but to no avail it seems.

subsub

Post by subsub »

antdad wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:18 am
subsub wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:06 am

Indeed.
You're a wordsmith would you know anymore of the technicalities of that Sub? I looked into it when TS first started doing it with their "game sponsors" i.e talking about the game and then spielling off odds and promoting the company in the same sentence. Even officially complained about it, thought it was a clear infringement of radio ad regs but to no avail it seems.
I don't know the ins and outs of the law, but I didn't think that radio stations could weave in mentions of gambling companies like TS do all the time.
WOKE AND PROUD

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Yeah, fair play to him. I know he's probably well enough off to bin it but giving endless betting updates must get on the nerves.