GameDay™

Talksport - the main station discussion place
Erskine Might

Re: Game Day

Post by Erskine Might »

Yes. Phone-ins are quite unhealthy if they're not handled with imagination. For one thing, the bad ones turn many grown adults into tiny kids, calling in to ask a pundit if their team will win their next match: 'I think so, yeah'. 'Fank yew!' I mean, what is this - the medieval age? What are they going to ask next - how many sleeps there are until Christmas? Why should what, say, Ray Parlour thinks is going to happen really affect how one watches the next game? Madness. And the other thing that bad shows do is, as you say, attract the bores with their boring arguments.

The great thing about Baker and Kelly was that they always kept that awareness of how silly it is, in a way, to be so serious about sport. But Durham has infected all of TS with his ridiculous rages and sanctimonious rants.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

There's a MSP called Graeme Dey and every time I see this thread I think of him.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Champagne and Roses

Post by Champagne and Roses »

Erskine Might wrote:Yes. Phone-ins are quite unhealthy if they're not handled with imagination. For one thing, the bad ones turn many grown adults into tiny kids, calling in to ask a pundit if their team will win their next match: 'I think so, yeah'. 'Fank yew!' I mean, what is this - the medieval age? What are they going to ask next - how many sleeps there are until Christmas? Why should what, say, Ray Parlour thinks is going to happen really affect how one watches the next game? Madness. And the other thing that bad shows do is, as you say, attract the bores with their boring arguments.

The great thing about Baker and Kelly was that they always kept that awareness of how silly it is, in a way, to be so serious about sport. But Durham has infected all of TS with his ridiculous rages and sanctimonious rants.
Phone-ins. Danny Baker on his own the best - peerless. Baker and Kelly very good, only let down by DK absolutely bursting to interrupt the caller with his own amusing comment, an urge that he sometimes failed to resist.

I always liked Tommy Boyd, really creative and able to play around with the format. In London late-night he did the Human Zoo phone in - callers put straight to air unscreened. Better in a way was when he was on Southern Counties in the afternoon, it was around Guildford or similar, the listeners were mostly elderly and conservative. Without patronising or making fun of them at all Boyd was cleverly subversive. I remember one time he professed not to understand how car air conditioning worked and got them to phone in and explain. Very politely he then picked holes in their explanations and asked for further clarification. It sounds hopelessly mundane but at the end of the hour we’d all been entertained and we’d all learned something: the general public has no grasp of even very basic science.
Blocked by Andy Jacobs since 2011
You might even spot me having a bit of veal

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

kevin04 wrote:There's a MSP called Graeme Dey and every time I see this thread I think of him.

I give up. What's an MSP?

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

Okay, according to a brief search, in order of options appearing, it's either a Managed Service Provider, Manchester Science Park Partner, Member of the Scottish Parliament or Manager of a Successful Project. Whichever one, it's clearly hilarious.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

It's not Game Day. :shock: What's going on? No top league soccer and top league soccer tips from friendly bookies. More ways to bet. More ways to win. And err? It's still game day though. 8)
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

Yes. Nothing to stop them covering games outside the Premier League, even if they can't do commentaries. Instead, they just think, 'Oh, there are no big games, we'd better get Max Rushden on'.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

" 'Leee-g One' ? What is this thing you call 'Leee-g One', Captain Kirk?"
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

They finally go to a non-league club, only to attempt to turn the report into an absurd claim that Sam Matterface is the housewives' favourite all over the country because he does Dancing on Ice. Any normal bloke would have been embarrassed by that conceit, but Matterface instinctively did the 'oh, not more of them' groan in a laughable attempt to suggest he's heard it all before. He really is an insufferably snide character.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Mincing on Spice more like
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

He sucked on Nat's funbags, who here can say that?!
Proud Gammon

Champagne and Roses

Basualdo wrote:He sucked on Nat's funbags, who here can say that?!
Yes. I can say it. And when I get off the tube I’m going to say it again.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Champagne and Roses wrote:

Pics or didn't happen. :D
Proud Gammon

Champagne and Roses

Basualdo wrote:
Champagne and Roses wrote:

Pics or didn't happen. :D
25 people on the Northern Line (via Bank) make me right fella. As tongue twisters go it’s not that difficult.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Just pics!! Please!!
Proud Gammon