Climate & Other Protesters Discussion

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Vespa

Re: Climate & Other Protesters Discussion

Post by Vespa »

Hillman avenger wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:34 pm I realise the Insulate people are winding a lot of people up.
But sometimes that's what it takes to get something taken seriously.
I hate the idea of climate change, the harm it will do and the serious inconvenience and expense it will put me to , to do what tiny bit I can about it.
But the utterly fake attempts to deny it are not the way to deal with it.
I've done protests which have blocked roads, I've never seen one that hasn't let an emergency vehicle through. The issue I have with IB is unlike groups like Excitation Rebellion they have no concept of basic messaging and now are going on the media talking about if they'd let someone die in an ambulance.

Monello

Post by Monello »

Vespa wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:41 pm I've done protests which have blocked roads, I've never seen one that hasn't let an emergency vehicle through. .
If an ambulance is five miles back in the queue, how are they going to let them through?

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Monello wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:47 pm
Vespa wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:41 pm I've done protests which have blocked roads, I've never seen one that hasn't let an emergency vehicle through. .
If an ambulance is five miles back in the queue, how are they going to let them through?
My experience is once they know a protest is happening they avoid it.

birdie

Post by birdie »

I don't have a problem with peaceful protest, but sitting on motorways is just plain daft, they don't know what vehicles are being stopped, could be an emergency vehicle taking someone to A&E, and one of the organisers is reported as saying that he would let the patient die because the cause is greater.

Now, watching the drivers sitting in their vehicles for 4 hours and more I had a thought, there are no lavs in cars, so, why don't all those men drivers just gather around the protesters, undo their zips and aim? That would shift the beggars jolly quick, methinks.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

birdie

Post by birdie »

Vespa wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:49 pm
Monello wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:47 pm
My experience is once they know a protest is happening they avoid it.
Not always so easy though, is it, if that road is the main way of getting from A to B, like the M25, yes, I know they could go through London, but that is why the M25 was built.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Ultimately we don't judge protests by how effective they are or their short term consequences, but by whether or not we agree with the cause that precipitates the protests.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

birdie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:19 am Not always so easy though, is it, if that road is the main way of getting from A to B, like the M25, yes, I know they could go through London, but that is why the M25 was built.
Isn't this an argument to ban any activity that closes a road? There is a difference between delaying an emergency vehicle unknowingly as a consequence of protests and intentionally blocking them. I think IB saying they would intentionally block an emergency vehicle is morally indefensible.

Protest is under attack by the government in the UK, this week there was a case of a man standing outside the Tory conference, on his own holding a small sign was arrested for nothing. This is why groups like IB are being labelled 'terrorists'

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

The 2000 Terrorism Act defines it as

'Terrorism is the use or threat of action, both in and outside of the UK, designed to influence any international government organisation or to intimidate the public. It must also be for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause.

Examples include:

serious violence against a person or damage to property,
endangering a person's life (other than that of the person committing the action),
creating a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public,
action designed to seriously interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.'

Not a stretch, particularly with the words of one of the founders of ER about deliberately letting people die, to describe them as terrorists
There's no poem, just prose.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:07 am ... particularly with the words of one of the founders of ER about deliberately letting people die ...
I don't think he meant it, though. He found himself painted into a corner, and, like a child caught out in a lie, kept on painting.
- - -
They're not so much terrorists as Piss Everyone Off-ists. They've made their point; why keep on making it? To see themselves on the telly, I suspect.
The warm glow of self-satisfaction keeps them insulated against the cold.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

JimmyDee wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:45 am
Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:07 am ... particularly with the words of one of the founders of ER about deliberately letting people die ...
I don't think he meant it, though. He found himself painted into a corner, and, like a child caught out in a lie, kept on painting.
- - -
They're not so much terrorists as Piss Everyone Off-ists. They've made their point; why keep on making it? To see themselves on the telly, I suspect.
The idea of the protests is to make the government take action on home insulation, they haven't hence they keep on protesting. The only action the government seem to be doing is passing a law that allows the police to arrest you if they suspect you make be taking part in a protest.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

Vespa wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:49 am
birdie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:19 am Not always so easy though, is it, if that road is the main way of getting from A to B, like the M25, yes, I know they could go through London, but that is why the M25 was built.
Isn't this an argument to ban any activity that closes a road? There is a difference between delaying an emergency vehicle unknowingly as a consequence of protests and intentionally blocking them. I think IB saying they would intentionally block an emergency vehicle is morally indefensible.

Protest is under attack by the government in the UK, this week there was a case of a man standing outside the Tory conference, on his own holding a small sign was arrested for nothing. This is why groups like IB are being labelled 'terrorists'
I would say that blocking an emergency vehicle, whether deliberately or unknowingly is still blocking an emergency vehicle.
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

beingsoblase wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:54 pm
Vespa wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:49 am

I would say that blocking an emergency vehicle, whether deliberately or unknowingly is still blocking an emergency vehicle.
We've all done that I'd guess.

Holden Mcgroyne

Vespa wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:41 pm
JimmyDee wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:45 am
- - -
The idea of the protests is to make the government take action on home insulation, they haven't hence they keep on protesting. The only action the government seem to be doing is passing a law that allows the police to arrest you if they suspect you make be taking part in a protest.
It's anarchists being anarchists. There's nothing the Government could do that will satisfy them, if it wasn't this bollocks about insulation, they'd just invent something else to go out disrupting people's lives for.

Any complaints about excess powers the police have look pretty hollow when you see how helpless they've been at these protests in the last few weeks.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Country is going to absolute shit. The current Government are incompetent, corrupt and liars. They're one illegal war away from being the worst Government in history....oh look some crusties...
A joyless arsehole.

Holden Mcgroyne

shabbado wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:37 pm Country is going to absolute shit. The current Government are incompetent, corrupt and liars. They're one illegal war away from being the worst Government in history....oh look some crusties...
Bit harsh on Sturgeon's mob, what about the Tories ?