Climate & Other Protesters Discussion

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Darkyboy

Re: Climate Protesting Twats

Post by Darkyboy »

Vespa wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Vespa wrote:
Climate change is an important and legitimate area of debate .

It may well be, Vespa.

But I'd contest that the actions of these protesters are having a counter productive effect.

They want to put the topic on the agenda, they have been successful.

The topic was already on the agenda. They have inconvenienced thousands of people and antagonised millions more. People just do not take the protesters seriously and/or do not want to compromise their standard of living (that seemingly includes many of the middle-class protesters by the way). That is why the Greens perform poorly at elections.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Salem

Post by Salem »

After this weeks events in Paris , it may go a tad on the quiet side regarding the riots . Therefore i suggest that useless arsehole Mayor Khan asks Macron if we could borrow a few of his water cannon and sweep the shit off the streets .

The co-founder of this rabble was being interviewed on JHB's show on talkRadio and went into a rant how one day we were all going to turn into cannibals because there would be nothing left to eat :smt037 . You couldn't make it up . On the plus side that'd be the vegans fucked i suppose . On a negative side , these idiots have the vote :smt011 .
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Darkyboy wrote: The topic was already on the agenda.

I'd dispute that the last major white paper on the environment was published in 2014.

Direct action disputes peoples everyday lives - it is why it is so effective.

I'm sure the suffrage movement would have worked out just as well if they'd gone about it in a less disruptive way.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Salem wrote:After this weeks events in Paris , it may go a tad on the quiet side regarding the riots . Therefore i suggest that useless arsehole Mayor Khan asks Macron if we could borrow a few of his water cannon and sweep the shit off the streets .

The co-founder of this rabble was being interviewed on JHB's show on talkRadio and went into a rant how one day we were all going to turn into cannibals because there would be nothing left to eat :smt037 . You couldn't make it up . On the plus side that'd be the vegans fucked i suppose . On a negative side , these idiots have the vote :smt011 .

I'd put some kind of indelible green dye in the water before blasting them. You could then tell who they were as they walked down the street so you'd know who to throw things at like the odd dustbin.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Always good to see our Mayor sticking his size 10's in it:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... rebellion/

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11157 ... -rebellion

He's incredible. I wouldn't have thought it possible to make the tenure's of Livingstone and Boris look good, but this fella manages it with ease.

I'm not one for political predictions, but I'd be amazed if he wins a second term next year.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Steve Hunt wrote:Always good to see our Mayor sticking his size 10's in it:

He's incredible. I wouldn't have thought it possible to make the tenure's of Livingstone and Boris look good, but this fella manages it with ease.

I'm not one for political predictions, but I'd be amazed if he wins a second term next year.

He'll win a 2nd term.

I'm curious how he's ingratiating himself with the protestors? Or indeed how he is hindering the Police in dealing with them?

I've been arrested by the police in a protest, they take you away and then let you go. Unless I assume you've committed a crime.

The police have powers to arrest and remove the protestors, the TfL bylaws allow British Transport Police to remove anyone from railway premises without reason.

He's merely expressing an opinion that I'd hope was widespread - you have the right to protest. Or are we now suggesting you need to get a license from the police to do so?

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Vespa wrote:
Darkyboy wrote: The topic was already on the agenda.

I'd dispute that the last major white paper on the environment was published in 2014.

Direct action disputes peoples everyday lives - it is why it is so effective.

I'm sure the suffrage movement would have worked out just as well if they'd gone about it in a less disruptive way.

Direct action has the opposite effect on most moderate people. They do not think "maybe these protesters have a point", they think "how can these twats be allowed to cause such havoc". Especially when the protesters come across as sanctimonious, hypocritical cretins.

The difference with the suffrage movement and civil rights in the U.S. for that matter, is that those involved were directly affected by the issue. When the leaders went home from protests, they were still women, or black people suffering the same injustice as the people they represented. When the eco-warriors go home, they go back to being mass consumers and being part of the problem, the same as anyone else (if the science is to be believed). They come across as just part-time campaigners, with part-time consciences ie hypocrites.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Vespa wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:Always good to see our Mayor sticking his size 10's in it:

He'll win a 2nd term.

He won't mate.

You know why?
Not because of crime.
Not because he rants constantly about Brexit
Not even because he's fucking hopeless.

He will lose because of ULEZ.

He's alienated his natural support who see it as a tax that punishes the poor. Which, in many cases, it does.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Vespa wrote:
I've been arrested by the police in a protest

I bloody knew it was you!

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Darkyboy wrote: Direct action has the opposite effect on most moderate people. They do not think "maybe these protesters have a point", they think "how can these twats be allowed to cause such havoc". Especially when the protesters come across as sanctimonious, hypocritical cretins.

The goal of the protest is to raise the profile of climate change and put it on the agenda, this thread demonstrates it works. The way it does it is by annoying the
Darkyboy wrote: The difference with the suffrage movement and civil rights in the U.S. for that matter, is that those involved were directly affected by the issue. When the leaders went home from protests, they were still women, or black people suffering the same injustice as the people they represented. When the eco-warriors go home, they go back to being mass consumers and being part of the problem, the same as anyone else (if the science is to be believed). They come across as just part-time campaigners, with part-time consciences ie hypocrites.

So you think the London anti-apartheid picket of the South African embassy was a waste of time?

The odd thing about climate change is it follows you home from the protest. Almost like the climate is ... I don't know ... everywhere.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Vespa wrote:

Fuck off - I've got a lovely head of hair.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Vespa wrote: So you think the London anti-apartheid picket of the South African embassy was a waste of time?

I do.

I'd say the isolation of S. Africa by sanctions (including sporting sanctions) caused the end of apartheid. Not a couple of swampy lookalike's hanging around S. Africa house in Trafalgar Sq 24/7.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Vespa wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Vespa wrote:

Your mugshot suggests you do, to be fair

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Steve Hunt wrote:He won't mate.

You know why?
Not because of crime.
Not because he rants constantly about Brexit
Not even because he's fucking hopeless.

He will lose because of ULEZ.

He's alienated his natural support who see it as a tax that punishes the poor. Which, in many cases, it does.

The London Mayor is why I boycott the referendum, it gutted local democracy and they knew it would when they put it the vote.

The reason he'll win is that no one gives a fuck about running for Mayor.

Khan only run because he knew Jeeza wouldn't give him a good gig.

I like Shaun Bailey, he isn't even going to dent Khan's vote I doubt anyone knows who he is unless they google him.

Khan is there as long as he wants to be. He's vanilla so doesn't piss anyone off, loves it because he's 'important' and no Tory on the horizon will dislodge him.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Vespa wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Vespa wrote:

Your mugshot suggests you do, to be fair