Nicola Sturgeon

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Royal24s

Re: Nicola Sturgeon

Post by Royal24s »

Quote Hillman

Of course they can't join the EU on their own. They couldn't qualify economically and Spain would veto it.
No one wanted to re run elections. That was forced by the antics of remoaners and they got their answer from the people.

Are you keen on Scottish independence then Hillman, or are you just trying to think of stuff you'd like cause it might be harmful to the country ? Revenge for leaving the EU maybe
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

After all the cries from the opposition including the SNP will they allow a third referendum once the result is in ,no matter what way it goes. :roll:
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

They should stop giving this woman coverage on national T.V. She's a local politician, not an MP and this is a local issue. MPs from Hull or Cornwall have issues with the government but that's covered on the local news because the rest of us don't want to hear about it.
By all means put her on the local news but why should a place with a much smaller population than other areas have their issues pushed in front of everyone else's.

She can't break the law any more than people can in Bristol or Blackburn and she's already had her referrendum ,agreed to the terms and lost. The figures don't even show that the result would be any different, so I don't know why she thinks she'll suceed Any more in getting a rerun than the remoaners did
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

subsub

Post by subsub »

Royal24s wrote:Of course they can't join the EU on their own. They couldn't qualify economically and Spain would veto it

I believe it would work like this:

- the UK leaves the EU (including Scotland)
- Scotland will/may have a second referendum on independence
- if they vote for independence, they would then have to apply to join the EU, and get the backing of EU member states (as Royals says, Spain would almost certainly veto it, given the Catalonia situation)
- they would then have to satisfy the economic conditions
- I'm not sure what the deal is on currency. I'm sure Sturgeon has said in the past "oh, we'll just use the pound", but I don't think it's as simple as that.

So, not straightforward at all.
WOKE AND PROUD

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

SNP blocked Brexit at every turn and were happy to "kick the can down the road" along with Treason May and the Remoaners.
Now Boris can kick their IndyRef can down the road for another 5 years. He is as keen as writing a Christmas card to Corbyn.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Royal24s wrote:They should stop giving this woman coverage on national T.V.

Sick of seeing her day in and day out, whining the same tune. Nobody's listening you stupid woman.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

I'm sorry, but I support IndyRef2

I think the whole of the UK should be allowed to vote though. If the Union is to break up, surely all those that live in it should have a say?

If I were Scottish, I would vote for independence. I would not want major decisions affecting my country being made by Westminster (much like my views on Brussels/EU). What the fuck does someone like Diane Abbott or Jacob Rees Mogg know about life in the Highlands? Fuck all would be my guess.

No, they should be granted IndyRef2 with the whole of the UK allowed to vote. If it means the end of the Union, so be it. That's democracy for you.

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Post by ToRmAtO »

Once the Alex Salmond trial starts and whether he is innocent or guilty there will be a lot of questions raised with who knew what etc with the number of accusations made against him. The media could have a field day with finger-pointing with anyone associated with him.

The SNP were desperate to get General Election done prior to the court case starting as their best bargaining tool was to stop the election happening.
Godwin's law

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Steve Hunt wrote:I'm sorry, but I support IndyRef2

I think the whole of the UK should be allowed to vote though. If the Union is to break up, surely all those that live in it should have a say?

If I were Scottish, I would vote for independence. I would not want major decisions affecting my country being made by Westminster (much like my views on Brussels/EU). What the fuck does someone like Diane Abbott or Jacob Rees Mogg know about life in the Highlands? Fuck all would be my guess.

No, they should be granted IndyRef2 with the whole of the UK allowed to vote. If it means the end of the Union, so be it. That's democracy for you.

Democracy isn't, we didn't like the first result, so we'll have another. I find your position somewhat inconsistent Steve, bearing in mind what it was on the EU referendum. Let's also not forget, Sturgeon bleats on about independence, but still want's to be ruled by the EU. This is most definitely not a cake and eat it time in politics.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

subsub

Post by subsub »

Steve Hunt wrote:What the fuck does someone like Diane Abbott or Jacob Rees Mogg know about life in the Highlands? Fuck all would be my guess

Quite possibly, along everyone else who lives in England. But you'd still let them vote on Scottish independence?
WOKE AND PROUD

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

subsub wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:What the fuck does someone like Diane Abbott or Jacob Rees Mogg know about life in the Highlands? Fuck all would be my guess

Quite possibly, along everyone else who lives in England. But you'd still let them vote on Scottish independence?

Yeah. If the Union is to be broken up, all those living in it should have a say

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Zambo wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:I'm sorry, but I support IndyRef2

Democracy isn't, we didn't like the first result, so we'll have another. I find your position somewhat inconsistent Steve, bearing in mind what it was on the EU referendum. Let's also not forget, Sturgeon bleats on about independence, but still want's to be ruled by the EU. This is most definitely not a cake and eat it time in politics.

The way I see it is this, Zambo.

The SNP (whose very existence relies on Scotland leaving the Union) pretty much cleaned up last week.
During the 2016 referendum Scotland overwhelmingly voted to Remain.
If Sturgeon, the SNP & the majority of Scots cannot see the contradiction in holding a position of leaving the Union but being in the EU, that's up to them. I couldn't care less.

The last Scottish IndyRef did not allow the rest of us to vote. The one condition Boris should insist on when granting IndyRef2 is that it be a UK referendum.

That is fair, democratic & should put the issue to bed once and for all.

And yes, I'd vote to break up the Union & let them go it alone.
Last edited by Steve Hunt on Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Steve Hunt wrote:
subsub wrote:

Yes, I get that, Steve, and I kind of agree with you.
But I also find it a bit odd when you say that Westminster MPs have fuck-all clue about Scotland. Because if that's the case, how are the English public qualified to know whether Scotland should gain independence or not?
WOKE AND PROUD

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

subsub wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
subsub wrote:

Yes, I get that, Steve, and I kind of agree with you.
But I also find it a bit odd when you say that Westminster MPs have fuck-all clue about Scotland. Because if that's the case, how are the English public qualified to know whether Scotland should gain independence or not?
We aren't. Well, most of us aren't. I don't care how Scotland would survive on it's own. I'm not Scottish.

But I am entitled to say if I want the Union to be broken up.

I don't care how Scotland would fare outside the Union. I couldn't give a shit. But I do recognise that, unlike England & Wales, it overwhelmingly wants to remain in the EU. I also recognise that the SNP cleaned up last week. I would therefore vote to grant them both wishes and break up the Union.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Personally, I hope Scotland stays as part of the UK.
WOKE AND PROUD