Nicola Sturgeon

In-depth debate on all topical issues
The Tick

Re: Nicola Sturgeon

Post by The Tick »

Petingo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:33 pm
The Tick wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 am
subsub wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:24 am
Steve Hunt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:13 am I'd vote to dissolve the Union. I suspect the majority would do likewise.
I'm not sure they would, Steve.
I think Scotland would be mad to go independent, given the handouts they get from Westminster.
It would be suicidal for Wales to do the same.
Plus the assurances of EU membership post independence arent solid.

I don’t think any assurances re Scotland rejoining the EU have been given, Tick.

Though I could be wrong.
My understanding was that nationalist fervour wasnt very strong in scotland and that the rejection of independence was based on pragmatism. With the prospect of continued EU a particular incentive to stay.

The brexit vote looks to be the turning point rather than a real desire for actual nationhood. So again based on an economic factor rather than emotional one.

I think a 2nd independence referendum is pointless but if one were held the union would win out just again.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

The Tick wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:52 pm My understanding was that nationalist fervour wasnt very strong in scotland and that the rejection of independence was based on pragmatism. With the prospect of continued EU a particular incentive to stay.

The brexit vote looks to be the turning point rather than a real desire for actual nationhood. So again based on an economic factor rather than emotional one.

I think a 2nd independence referendum is pointless but if one were held the union would win out just again.
I'm not sure the economic argument is the key point. In 2014 the Cameron/Clegg government was rather benign and Cameron has this nice geezer vibe.

It's pretty easy now for the SNP to pitch that Scotland is under the control of an Engish centric Westminister government that'll throw Scotland under then bus if it serves English domestic political ends - indeedy that's what the SNP has been pitching since Brexit.

On top of that, the LSE estimates that if Johnson gets the Brexit he wants it'll represent a 6% reduction in per. capita income. Making very hard for Johnson to argue in a debate that economic impact should be the prime considerations given he championed Brexit and lead the government that exited the agreement and will be arguing that a independent UK can make up the economic hit by roaming the World signing FTAs with New Zealand.

Moreover outside the EU but suggesting entry into EFTA the SNP can point to neighbouring nations of similar population sizes who do quite well thank you and argue that Scotland's economy will grow to be on par with their peers.

Rep. Ireland (5m ppl / $380bn GDP), Norway (5m ppl / $340bn GDP), Finland (5m / $270bn GDP), Denmark (5m ppl / $355bn GDP) compared to Scotland (5m ppl / $200bn GDP)

Unlike 2014 the Westminister government under Johson will be making all the arguments why independence is fucking awesome. The SNP think they can ride that to victory.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Anti-democratic bitter whining midget.

Two referenda didn't go the way she wanted so she stamps her little foot and wails like a demented banshee.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.