The Winter 2019 General Election Thread

In-depth debate on all topical issues
AlcoholBrazil

Re: The Winter 2019 General Election Thread

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

If the Tories bring back steam trains nationwide then they will have my votes. And pubs that allow smoking indoors will be a vote winner.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

This is the truest statement I've read all day.

He's on form and said this ealier:

'Labour only take office once in a generation.The young soon learn....'

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

m4rkb wrote:This is the truest statement I've read all day.

How can you have lived through the banking crisis, NHS PFI, privatisation of the railways, utilities, post office etc, and still think private sector automatically = value for money. We’ve had 30 years of this nonsense to learn that just leaving everything to the free market doesn’t work.

That’s the problem with self-described libertarians, they like to think of themselves as freedom loving, free thinking radicals. In reality they’re completely impervious to evidence that doesn’t fit their political dogma and 9 times out of 10 are just Tory old codgers.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Farage has now stood down in target Tory seats.

Betrayal is a word thrown around a lot. In Farage's case, he stood up an entire political company. Took donations. Made people pay for the privilege of even being considered as a candidate. Made them pay more to become one.

The unilaterally choose to stand aside for the Tories, denying his own members to the ability to vote for their political cause.

He's swinging the dead cat of Tory honours for seats but the fundamental truth is he betrayed Brexit Party supporters.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Ralph wrote:

How can you have lived through the banking crisis, NHS PFI, privatisation of the railways, utilities, post office etc, and still think private sector automatically = value for money. We’ve had 30 years of this nonsense to learn that just leaving everything to the free market doesn’t work.

That’s the problem with self-described libertarians, they like to think of themselves as freedom loving, free thinking radicals. In reality they’re completely impervious to evidence that doesn’t fit their political dogma and 9 times out of 10 are just Tory old codgers.

Has personal taxation gone up or down over the last 40 years?

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

In real terms, down.
People don't realise that even in Thatcher's time upper rates were much higher.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Ralph wrote:

The problem is always that the private sector will strive to make a profit, and competition theoretically ensures that the profit is not excessive.
If there is no competition, as with nationalised industries, it takes a strong and competent public sector/civil service/government to reign it in.
Don't blame the private sector for doing what it does best, blame our incompetent (or corrupt of course) establishment.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

"Can I finish?"
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Hillman avenger wrote:In real terms, down.
People don't realise that even in Thatcher's time upper rates were much higher.

I wonder what would happen today if someone suggested building libraries. I can imagine it would go something like "what, books and education for free! We can't afford that!"

Surely any debate about public spending should start with if it's moral and good for society, not if it costs too much. Free band one dental care would seem to me moral and good for society.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Food bank usage rises 3800% in the last 9 year.

Tories lead by up to 17 points in opinion polls released over the weekend.

This country deserves the Tories.
A joyless arsehole.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

No wonder they don't want to publish their manifesto

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:

The problem is always that the private sector will strive to make a profit, and competition theoretically ensures that the profit is not excessive.
If there is no competition, as with nationalised industries, it takes a strong and competent public sector/civil service/government to reign it in.
Don't blame the private sector for doing what it does best, blame our incompetent (or corrupt of course) establishment.

That’s the problem when it comes to utilities, the NHS, railways etc - there is no competition and they have a perverse incentive to cut corners or just not provide the services they’re meant to. The private sector should be nowhere near the NHS & utilities IMO.

The idea the private sector is always more efficient became a religious belief amongst politicians of both main parties between the early 80s & the banking crash of 2007-8.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:

That’s the problem when it comes to utilities, the NHS, railways etc - there is no competition and they have a perverse incentive to cut corners or just not provide the services they’re meant to. The private sector should be nowhere near the NHS & utilities IMO.

The idea the private sector is always more efficient became a religious belief amongst politicians of both main parties between the early 80s & the banking crash of 2007-8.

The fallacy is that profit from companies running public franchises is accrues from the extra value the private company brings to the franchise. The reality is it comes from cutting capacity and capability to improve margin, rather than adding value.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:

And the public sector has proven to be inefficient and monstrously wasteful, relying upon an ever-increasing demand upon the taxpayer money tree to function.
'The public sector should be nowhere near the NHS & utilities IMO'.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE