Copa Libertadores Final

Anything sportlike
Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Re: Copa Libertadores Final: Flamengo v River Plate

Post by Basualdo »

kevin04 wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
kevin04 wrote:Bas those green, red and black colours go amazingly. Glentoran are the sexiest colored team in Ireland.

Only three clubs in the world with those colours. Us, Nijmegen in Holland and an Austrian club whose name I forget. There's close fan links with Nijmegen because of it with fans going to matches a few times each season.

We got those colours because, according to the club history anyway, the day the club was formed in 1882 in the Park Tavern in the Ravenhill Rd in Belfast opposite Ormeau Park, a cricket team from Dublin called Na Shula who had a game in Ormeau Park, where having pre match drinks in the bar while wearing old fashioned cricket blazers with their club colours of red, green and black stripes and the founders were so impressed with the blazers they decided to adopt the colours for the new team.

Anyway, this was the YouTube thing I watched about last year's absolutely insane Copa Libertatores final. Hugely entertaining...

Brilliant post, so interesting. Anytime I've seen Glentoran - been over a few times for pre-season friendlies in Scotland - I've always liked the colours and of course that awesome stadium. Although I went Ballymena in a recent Champ and got them to the CL so I think my Irish Premier team may well be Liam Neeson and Paisley's lads.

Got lifted before a game with Ballymena once. But the peelers got bored and then when actual real trouble broke out they just kicked me out of the meat wagon. :D I was lifted for grafitti-ing.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Love the huge concrete terraces behind both goals. Looks like English stadia in the 1960s.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kevin04 wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
kevin04 wrote:Would agree with Bas' view, although I'd love to be there. Look at the nick of the fans/atmosphere compared to the EPL.

Some sweat pouring of them though. Literally running off them. Heat, altitude or both?

And some other stimulants as well, I'd guess.

Shouldn't compare it to our kick and run, it's intriguing. And anyway, Champions League finals aren't great. Bar for the LFC mob here, Liverpool v Spurs was a shitefest.

Good shout, CJ.

Finals are usually cagey affairs. Gilberto looking the part in the studio ; Jonathan Wilson too, and that other bawbag stinking up the presenting duties.

Mark 'Chappers' Chapman always looks like he's been dragged through a few hedges, see his BBC NFL stuff. Anyway on 5Live comms today there were semi-mocking that he's got new specs. Obviously too vain to wear on TV:
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Jesus! How didnt that go in!
Proud Gammon

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote:Love the huge concrete terraces behind both goals. Looks like English stadia in the 1960s.

It is great. Big old bowl.

Typical Everton, not scoring from six yards. :shock:

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Is Ribiero's participation in this game the closest Everton will ever get to a trophy this season? :D
Proud Gammon

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Lovely playing out from the back from Flamengo, no panic.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Basualdo wrote:
kevin04 wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
kevin04 wrote:Bas those green, red and black colours go amazingly. Glentoran are the sexiest colored team in Ireland.

Only three clubs in the world with those colours. Us, Nijmegen in Holland and an Austrian club whose name I forget. There's close fan links with Nijmegen because of it with fans going to matches a few times each season.

We got those colours because, according to the club history anyway, the day the club was formed in 1882 in the Park Tavern in the Ravenhill Rd in Belfast opposite Ormeau Park, a cricket team from Dublin called Na Shula who had a game in Ormeau Park, where having pre match drinks in the bar while wearing old fashioned cricket blazers with their club colours of red, green and black stripes and the founders were so impressed with the blazers they decided to adopt the colours for the new team.

Anyway, this was the YouTube thing I watched about last year's absolutely insane Copa Libertatores final. Hugely entertaining...

Brilliant post, so interesting. Anytime I've seen Glentoran - been over a few times for pre-season friendlies in Scotland - I've always liked the colours and of course that awesome stadium. Although I went Ballymena in a recent Champ and got them to the CL so I think my Irish Premier team may well be Liam Neeson and Paisley's lads.

Got lifted before a game with Ballymena once. But the peelers got bored and then when actual real trouble broke out they just kicked me out of the meat wagon. :D I was lifted for grafitti-ing.

:D

I've got a pal from Derry - he's RC, but supports NI - and another pal from Ballymena (RC too but who cares) but he always says "Those GAA feckers up there were all part-time prods anyway and went on their walks, it was like a day out up there whilst we fucked off to Glasgow or Blackpool for two weeks in Derry" :lol:

Never met folk so alike to the Jocks than the Norn Irish of both sides.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Basualdo wrote:Is Ribiero's participation in this game the closest Everton will ever get to a trophy this season? :D

Same joke, different ways. :lol:

Just read this about him on Mr Wiki. Glad he missed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ver ... sonal_life
Ribeiro is an Evangelical Christian, and helped found a bible study group while at Flamengo.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Brazil will be a proddy country in a few years, the Evangelicals are going for it. Sure auld bawjaws himself El Presidento is one too as good old Tim V says the most famous genre of music in Brazil is Country and the Evos love it.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

kevin04 wrote:Brazil will be a proddy country in a few years, the Evangelicals are going for it. Sure auld bawjaws himself El Presidento is one too as good old Tim V says the most famous genre of music in Brazil is Country and the Evos love it.

Rising Sons of Guilherme :D
Proud Gammon

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Basualdo wrote:
kevin04 wrote:Brazil will be a proddy country in a few years, the Evangelicals are going for it. Sure auld bawjaws himself El Presidento is one too as good old Tim V says the most famous genre of music in Brazil is Country and the Evos love it.

Rising Sons of Guilherme :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Sad scenes, Kevin.

Nice to watch fans who care and get involved unlike some of the self-entitled ones here who want to be entertained. As wee Ray always says, if you want to be entertained, go to the cinema.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Last ten coming soon. Come on Flamengo for ET and pens.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Carlos J wrote:

Sad scenes, Kevin.

Nice to watch fans who care and get involved unlike some of the self-entitled ones here who want to be entertained. As wee Ray always says, if you want to be entertained, go to the cinema.

Indeed, CJ. Got a wee fiver on Flamengo and it doesn't look like coming.