In-depth debate on all topical issues
m4rkb

Re: Private medicine

Post by m4rkb »

Hillman avenger wrote:
colinthewarriormonkey wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
Ralph wrote:Healthcare should be based on need not your ability to pay.

We should aspire to a system where the billionaire has the same access to healthcare as a penniless tramp.

If the ruling class were told they couldn’t use money to bypass problems in the NHS the funding would increase overnight.

That's mental, people going private pay into the NHS regardless of whether they have private medical insurance or not and by going private they are taking a burden off the NHS, so, therefore, poor people get treated quicker by the NHS because these "rich" people aren't taking up a place on the waiting list.

The vast majority of people with private healthcare aren't part of the ruling class.

Unless you are suggesting that as soon as you become an MP, you are no longer allowed to access private healthcare, so that you get an idea of what it is like to be part of the NHS system, in which case you have a point which I'd also extend to schooling.

I worked in the GMC Fitness to Practice division for about 2 years.
I can tell you that only severe and prolonged malpractice reaches FTP and many of those fall by the wayside.
A doctor, particularly a GP, can be neglectful, incompetent or out-of-date for years without detection.
I can tell you more if you like.
BTW there is far more chance of a poor doctor being detected in a hospital than elsewhere.
This thread was originally about a provider who knew a doctor was failing, and had failed to properly supervise him and to check he was insured. But worst of all then continued to recruit patients for him.
But as it's been widened let's deal with the idea that private medicine takes the load off the NHS
No it doesn't.
It does not provide A and E, acute care, chronic condition management , paediatrics, gerontology, and a long list of other disciplines it can't make money out of. That is left to the NHS which will never refuse but may not have the resource to help soon enough.
Why does it not have the resource?
Under-funding
Short-termism which doesn't work when you are building hospitals and training nurses and doctors.
Encouraging skilled EU nationals to leave the system.
And being poached by the private sector.
There is no sensible debate about medicine where there are scarce resources without having a moral dimension. To me, as a society, we should have an understanding that access to medicine, while it is limited, is based on need and urgency and not ability to pay.

Hillman you claim to have worked in every job that is relevant to every thread on this board.

You must be about 170 years old to have fitted them all in.

As for a couple of your other points, it DOES take a load off the NHS they carry out procedures that would normally be carried out by the NHS, therefore it IS taking some load off - to suggest it doesn't is absurd. It also provides the NHS with extra cash in many instances.

As for EU nationals leaving, it's got fuck all to do with Private health companies and everything to do with Brexit.

1. I ran my private consulting business and over about 2 years ran a project within Fitness to Practice, in both London and Manchester. It was not full-time and probably amounted to about 8 days a month. I had to work with the director , senior managers and team leaders. OK? While I was there they got the results from the Dame Janet Smith report on Shipman.
2. Yes procedures get carried out in private hospitals although very rarely the complex ones, which would otherwise be done in the NHS. But to do it they use doctors and nurses taken from the NHS who could otherwise be doing their work in the NHS and reducing their backlog. And as taxpayers we fund their training. Not the private hospitals.
3. I didn't say private medicine was the CAUSE of EU nationals leaving. I said it was one of the reasons the NHS has resource problems and it is LUNACY to be making it worse through Brexit.
As for the extra cash....governments successively make big gestures after underfunding the NHS by then throwing cash at it. To make any real difference, given the lead-times to train people and build hospitals, would take 5-10 years; ie several election cycles away. Governments don't want that.
So what actually happens is that the money gets spent outsourcing procedures to the private sector and the fundamental problem never gets fixed. Plus that money cycles from government into big business. Have a look at how much private healthcare companies give the Tories; they want this to continue. We are the mugs who let it.

Jesus Christ. People actually consulted you and asked for your opinion on matters. :shock:

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Vespa wrote:I thought about becoming a doctor, the idea of killing people once and while put me off.

Yep, a mate of mine has had 5 patients die in their department, 4 of them were during procedures done by 1 doctor, who has been working there for 20 years and is by all accounts absolutely excellent at his job - he's just had a really unlucky year (not as unlucky as the patients obviously) no procedures in hospital are without risk - a lot of people don't seem to realise that.

When I was at school the pressure to enrol in a medical degree was overwhelming. I always wanted to do some sort of life science degree but they pushed medicine really hard. They left me alone once I said I didn't want someone's death on my hands, takes a sort of mental endurance I don't have.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Of course there's risk
I remember Paul Merton on HIGNFY a long time ago taking the piss out of stats...a lot more people entering hospitals die; far more than people entering Spud U Like ( yes that long). So he has left instructions that if he is taken ill he wants taking to SpudULike.
And surgeons with the most talent may well get the most critical cases.
But in the example in this thread it is cosmetic surgery.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Hillman avenger wrote:But in the example in this thread it is cosmetic surgery.

In the case you quote how many procedures as a percentage of the total he completed had complaints?

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

kancutlawns wrote:
Royal24s wrote:I don't think I can change Hillman's mind, and I'm sure he doesn't think he can change mine.

It's more an amusing little game than anything else.

I'm sorry to dissapoint anyone, but we're not going to change anything here. It's more about having a bit of fun and conversation I think. Something to do while your sitting down to rest your bad back or having a coffee.

It's a bit like the modern version of reading the newspaper ,( I recommend the Daily Mail for accuracy and unbiased coverage incidentally), or doing a crossword , but it's interactive.

Quite a few of my posts aren't really serious you know , ( sometimes they are), and part of that is the "double act" with Hillman which has developed.

I don't find it hard or time consuming to bang out a few wordies so I do that to contribute, rather than in the hope of changing the world, and if it's not to anyone's taste they don't have to read it.

I don't read it myself actually, which is why I sometimes have to edit it when I notice a typo because I know Hillman will be down on me like a ton of bricks if that happens.

It’s not amusing really, just very tiresome for the rest of time with both of you boring us daily with verbose yarns that could be cut down to a tenth of what you throw at us.

Seriously Royals, do you not consider that many of us are actually quite knowledgable and fully functioning adults who don’t need you two obsessives to hog the limelight thinking you possess superior knowledge because believe me, you don’t.

I thought we were chums now kancutlawns !

Thing is that you don't have to read it, so I don't know why it bothers you. If we all just did bullet points it'd somewhat defeat the object wouldn't it ?

Same thing goes for the idea that everyone is so clever that they don't need my comments, your comments or anyone else's comments. You're absolutely right that none of us need anyone else's input, but we choose to read it , ( or not), for entertainment or conversation.

As far as your theory of false claims is concerned, it wouldn't really matter, but in point of fact I don't think I've ever lied here. I've been posting a long time, ( and because it's very spontaneous I often don't remember what I wrote here yesterday), but I'm pretty confident that you won't find any factual contradictions or inconsistencies in anything I've written).

Having said this, and with absolute respect , why would you give a fuck ? I promise you that I don't , and I'm not sure why anyone would want to impress a load of people they'll never meet. I don't think I've felt the need to impress anyone for about 40 years actually.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

We are chums. You’re clearly an intelligent man and I feel we’re on the same wavelength even though we have differing opinions. I find Hillman’s a rather cerebral dude with a humourless and I engaging tone which winds others up. I don’t doubt your far reaching experience but shorter posts do help, believe me.

I’m trying to give constructive feedback and this is what forum friends do. Don’t take it personally.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

No, I didn't. I wouldn't ever take it too seriously. If the rules here allowed it I'd wind people up a lot more and be quite happy to get it back. In your case though, I wouldn't want to alienate you because I think you're a genuinely nice decent and intelligent chap.

At this point it might be highly amusing to comment on Hillman's posts, but I'd certainly get a yellow card, and as I said in another thread, he deserves a great deal of credit for contributing so much and keeping the thing going.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Fair enough. I like these exchange of views and this being done in a respectful tone by both parties.

A lot of differing views here done so in a suspicious, cynical and confrontational way and I hold my hands up as to doing this myself.

You and Hillman are generally fine though. Apologies for my cynical post yesterday. You never indulge in abuse with each other.