Bowel cancer any tips?

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Carlos J
Forum Admin

Re: Bowel cancer any tips?

Post by Carlos J »

Vespa wrote:
carcinogen wrote:
Vespa wrote:Not a pity post.

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer today and have been admitted to hospital for a full body CT scan in the morning.

Anyone gone through this and has any good tips for dealing with the whole process?

My father died of bowel cancer. Actually, that's not accurate. The pain was so bad he ended-up downing a bottle of whiskey and then slitting his wrists in a Peugeot 205 on Southwold seafront.[/quote]I'm not that weak.

Not quoting studies, but from personal opinion. The old positive mental attitude is so true. some people get a diagnosis, and then that's it and die soon. Some will fight it and will overcome. A lot is in your thoughts and attitude.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

antdad

Post by antdad »

I appreciate that wasn't a wholey positive contribution to this thread but who knows when his father was diagnosed. It could've been late stage and very little that could be done and once pain is that crippling it really has little to do with mental strength but how the pain can be managed and possibly relieved.

It's not unusual for the amount of morphine required for relief would end life prematurely anyway and for the better in most terminal cases. I think if I were ever in that sort of situation I'd snort a few crushed fentanyl and be done rather than attempt to prolong my suffering. Actually I'd argue the opposite, you have to be fairly determined and strong-willed to end your life in a physical way as men tend to do.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

antdad wrote:I appreciate that wasn't a wholey positive contribution to this thread but who knows when his father was diagnosed. It could've been late stage and very little that could be done and once pain is that crippling it really has little to do with mental strength but how the pain can be managed and possibly relieved.

It's not unusual for the amount of morphine required for relief would end life prematurely anyway and for the better in most terminal cases. I think if I were ever in that sort of situation I'd snort a few crushed fentanyl and be done rather than attempt to prolong my suffering. Actually I'd argue the opposite, you have to be fairly determined and strong-willed to end your life in a physical way as men tend to do.
There is a difference between making a point about mental health and a post about a weird suicide fantasy.

antdad

Post by antdad »

I don't read many if any of his contributions and if that's the case then it's in particularly poor taste, Godspeed to you.

blues4ever

Post by blues4ever »

Vespa, all the best and fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa! :( My heart goes out to you!
You can beat this.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Sorry to hear that Vespa. You have to stay positive through the ordeal. There will be some real lows, that's inevitable, but you have to tell yourself that they will pass, because they will. I'm sure that family and friends will do all they can to help you through it. Also, the success rate with bowel cancer has increased over recent years and there are a number of ways it can be treated.

I was diagnosed with a T3 tumour six years ago. So I can imagine how shellshocked the diagnosis has left you. Feel free to PM me.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Darkyboy wrote:Sorry to hear that Vespa. You have to stay positive through the ordeal. There will be some real lows, that's inevitable, but you have to tell yourself that they will pass, because they will. I'm sure that family and friends will do all they can to help you through it. Also, the success rate with bowel cancer has increased over recent years and there are a number of ways it can be treated.

I was diagnosed with a T3 tumour six years ago. So I can imagine how shellshocked the diagnosis has left you. Feel free to PM me.
Will do, thanks.

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

All the best Vespa, I’m 56 and have seen this sort of thing far too much in my circle of friends and far too close to home but on the bright side as has been said it’s pretty amazing how easily and well it can be treated providing it’s caught early, even if caught fairly late there is now treatment where not so long ago there wasn’t.

As for Roy’s post, at 50 I was literally dragged into my local GP’s by my other half as I just don’t go unless I can’t self diagnose (arm chair scientists are stupid really) had the “MOT” and all was good, about 6 months ago I self diagnosed as type 2 (been asking for it all my life) when I lost 2 1/2 stone in 6 weeks along with all the other classic symptoms and now they won’t stop sending me for tests for this that and the other, it drives me mad but to say the NHS don’t “screen” people for stuff isn’t the case unless you purposely avoid it once they’ve got you “on the system”.

Hope your treatment is quick and easy and the best of luck to you.
Brilliantly Honest

Salem

Post by Salem »

Fingers crossed everything goes as well as it can and you make a full recovery , Vespa
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Vespa, feel free to ignore my question if you want. No problem at all. I will fully understand.

But what were the signs?
Did/do you feel unwell at all?
Has it been detected via a routine check up?

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Steve Hunt wrote:Vespa, feel free to ignore my question if you want. No problem at all. I will fully understand.

But what were the signs?
Did/do you feel unwell at all?
Has it been detected via a routine check up?
I had painful stomach cramps, that resulted in a colonoscopy. Six weeks or so from seeing a doctor to finding out.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Today I met my Macmillan cancer nurses, beautiful people. The hospital is having a world cancer day event so had good chats with people who've had this.

Likely I'll lose 23cm of bowel. That's my abs fucked

Guy in the bed next to me heard about my cancer and proceeded to tell me about all the people he knew who had died from it. Because I'm a massive bitch I've decided my stock response to these people is 'thanks that was inspirational'

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

It's like a morbid game of Top Trump's

23 cm of your bowel? Oh well I know someone who lost 50cm of their bowel.

Oh your father's died? I remember when my father died it was a horrible experience but you know what makes it better? Time...give it time.

Eh....fuck off?
A joyless arsehole.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Vespa wrote:Today I met my Macmillan cancer nurses, beautiful people. The hospital is having a world cancer day event so had good chats with people who've had this.

Likely I'll lose 23cm of bowel. That's my abs fucked

Guy in the bed next to me heard about my cancer and proceeded to tell me about all the people he knew who had died from it. Because I'm a massive bitch I've decided my stock response to these people is 'thanks that was inspirational'

Some people are just arseholes, Vespa.

Ignore them.

Have you heard any more about your likely treatment and how long it will take?