Boris Johnson - The Prime Minister Part 2

In-depth debate on all topical issues
birdie

Re: Boris Johnson - The Prime Minister Part 2

Post by birdie »

Zambo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:46 am
Royal24s wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:09 am
Hillman avenger wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:15 pm No I am saying that in the coverage during the election campaign the leaders all had one to one TV interviews except Johnson. So people could not judge him on his own merits, his command of issues, etc.
If you recall Andrew Neill got into trouble for making a point about it. Of course Johnson had worked previously for Neill ( and previously Max Hastings) and they knew a lot about him.
He only appeared when the stabbing happened and he suddenly showed up on the Andrew Marr programme because they had figured they could stick it to Labour. Unfortunately, and characteristically, that was a shambles as Johnson did not know the whole story about early release.
It was a repeat of what he had done when running for the leadership.

And, again, if that bothered people they wouldn't have voted for him.
The BBC has no right to compel anyone, including BoJo to take part in their TV Shows.
That's what it is you see - a TV Show.
It's not part of the election process or a requirement for holding public office.

I'm sure you were fucking incandescent that anyone would dare disobey a command from the BBC to attend for interrogation , but that outrage obviously wasn't shared by the voters.

Has it even occurred to you that anyone who doesn't watch the BBC might still form an opinion about how to vote ?
I wouldn't blame any Tory MP to refuse to be interrogated by the shite who masquerade as impartial journalists these days. That might get the message through about exactly what their job responsibilities are, and that is to report the news, and not push their own agendas. It's not just the BBC either.
[/quot
e]

The BBC gave up 'impartiality' years ago, slowly, over the last couple of decades, pro Labour (IMO only of course) bias has crept in and it is now blatant, the recent Boris bashing shows just how impartial the BBC and other news channels really are, yes, yes, I know Boris is a plonker, but he IS, for good or ill, the PM, and as such should be afforded the courtesy his Office is entitled to, there is a saying, and I paraphrase, you may not respect the man but you respect the Office. Some of the questions but to the PM by the BBC's Kuensberg and by ITV's Peston have been nothing short of downright insulting, and shows the contempt they have not only for the man but for the Office he holds.

All my own opinion, of course.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

That's an excellent and intelligent post.
Those elected to represent the people are entitled to be addressed with some respect to the office they hold, otherwise we don't respect our country or democracy.
I've often said that Kaura Kuensberg speaks to the Prime Minister as if she's speaking to a naughty child.

In courts, barristers make very strong and difficult points every day without shouting at the Judge or disrespecting the proceedings.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

birdie

Post by birdie »

Royal24s wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 am That's an excellent and intelligent post.
Those elected to represent the people are entitled to be addressed with some respect to the office they hold, otherwise we don't respect our country or democracy.
I've often said that Kaura Kuensberg speaks to the Prime Minister as if she's speaking to a naughty child.

In courts, barristers make very strong and difficult points every day without shouting at the Judge or disrespecting the proceedings.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Would the pair of you be quite so insistent than the PM must be "respected" if that PM had been Corbyn?

Of course not, you'd both be giddy with delight whenever a journalist had a bit of passion in their voices while taking him to task about his poor leadership leading to so many unnecessary deaths.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Royal24s wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 am That's an excellent and intelligent post.

Respect works both ways.
The conduct of the government in recent weeks has shown no respect for the public.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

birdie

Post by birdie »

Jon Gout wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:28 pm Would the pair of you be quite so insistent than the PM must be "respected" if that PM had been Corbyn?

Of course not, you'd both be giddy with delight whenever a journalist had a bit of passion in their voices while taking him to task about his poor leadership leading to so many unnecessary deaths.
#How the feck do you know that? Don't presume to know who I would respect, as I have said, you respect the Office, not necessarily the man, and that goes for a PM of whichever colour.
Oh, and just in case you still don't get it, I think Boris is a twerp, doesn't prevent me from respecting the Office he holds.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Hillman avenger wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:31 pm

Respect works both ways.
The conduct of the government in recent weeks has shown no respect for the public.
Cant disagree with that.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

birdie wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:38 pm
Jon Gout wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:28 pm Would the pair of you be quite so insistent than the PM must be "respected" if that PM had been Corbyn?

#How the feck do you know that? Don't presume to know who I would respect, as I have said, you respect the Office, not necessarily the man, and that goes for a PM of whichever colour.
Oh, and just in case you still don't get it, I think Boris is a twerp, doesn't prevent me from respecting the Office he holds.
What would your response have been if it were John Bercow who was interviewed? Abuse and machetes aimed at his head would be acceptable I suppose? The faux outrage and palpable anger here because it’s a vacuous elitist plum who bumbles and stutters in the mids of a crisis he and his cabinet are instrumental in creating is laughable. No wonder we’re fucked as a nation when snowflakes are up in arms about a test like Johnson being given a hard time.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

birdie wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Insisting that everyone should respect something that doesn't respect them seems insane, but okay.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

There is a distinction between respect for the office and respect for the occupant.
Respect for the office is a widely-accepted tenet of society.
Respect for the occupant has to be earned.
At the moment we have occupants in both the UK and the US who are NOT earning it. When they avoid scrutiny, expect whatever they say to be absorbed without question, and apply "one rule for us, another for you", they face an uphill struggle to recover it.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Thought they'd missed out Beff Rigby at first :lol:

There's no poem, just prose.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Holding a corrupt and inefficient government to account is the duty of the media.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:41 pm Thought they'd missed out Beff Rigby at first :lol:

How come that cunt Maguire only gets a back seat.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Johnson must want to cry.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

A bit Harsh re: picture above, what are these people going to do other than spout shite? They can't DO anything else. We can hardly have them shot. Politican's and Hacks are two-sides of the same crooked-coin. I'm afraid we are going to have to put up with them. Unless of course we all turn off our televisions and stop reading newspapers. It's in our own hands. Are your hands clean?
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.