Hong Kong becomes communist, everyone there instantly fucked

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Saints11

Re: Hong Kong becomes communist, everyone there instantly fucked

Post by Saints11 »

The Tick wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:36 am At the rudest level, passport confiscations, or a refusal to recognise the BNO passports at all are a possibility.

After all if china can push through the anti-democratic reforms that they've already done in contravention of their prior agreement with the UK then anything's possible.

Whether china will block mass movement of BNOs is another question.
The thing is when you leave Hong Kong (as in pass through immigration) as a resident, you show your Hong Kong ID (A driving licence sized card) Not your passport.

Your passport is checked when you are going to board the plane. I would imagine people here would hold a Hong Kong passport primarily, 2.5 million people are eligible for the BNO, and 350,000 have it.

So if I were one of them and wanting to leave I'd be showing a HKID, then Hong Kong passport. Then pull out the BNO passport when landing in Heathrow, or at least have the application on the way. I believe a HK passport holder can go to the UK for 6 months anyway. Just got to wait it out for the BNO to be issued and then re-enter the UK on it.

Problem solved
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Saints11 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:35 pm
The Tick wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:36 am At the rudest level, passport confiscations, or a refusal to recognise the BNO passports at all are a possibility.

After all if china can push through the anti-democratic reforms that they've already done in contravention of their prior agreement with the UK then anything's possible.

The thing is when you leave Hong Kong (as in pass through immigration) as a resident, you show your Hong Kong ID (A driving licence sized card) Not your passport.

Your passport is checked when you are going to board the plane. I would imagine people here would hold a Hong Kong passport primarily, 2.5 million people are eligible for the BNO, and 350,000 have it.

So if I were one of them and wanting to leave I'd be showing a HKID, then Hong Kong passport. Then pull out the BNO passport when landing in Heathrow, or at least have the application on the way. I believe a HK passport holder can go to the UK for 6 months anyway. Just got to wait it out for the BNO to be issued and then re-enter the UK on it.

Problem solved
The problem with that is hong kong ID cards can be confiscated or suspended based on the chinese government's whims. With said 3 million people forced onto a chinese passport or ID as another possibility as HK is merged politically into china. The fact that most BNOs would have to rely on outbound flights to get to the UK makes it easier for china to restrict such movement. This is the danger.

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

The Tick wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:55 pm
Saints11 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:35 pm

Problem solved
The problem with that is hong kong ID cards can be confiscated or suspended based on the chinese government's whims. With said 3 million people forced onto a chinese passport or ID as another possibility as HK is merged politically into china. The fact that most BNOs would have to rely on outbound flights to get to the UK makes it easier for china to restrict such movement. This is the danger.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there Mr Tick. I cannot see HKID's being confiscated or suspended as they are such an integral part of life admin here; setting up a bank account, electricity, water, renting a flat even Gyms ask for your HKID number (if you have one).

The population of Hong Kong is 7.5 million. A Chinese passport holder isn't allowed dual nationality, a Hong Kong passport holder is. But to be a Hong Kong Passport holder you need to be a Chinese citizen. What is defined as a Chinese citizen I actually still cannot workout.

But that is going to the trick they pull at some point, removing the HK passport and giving all "Permanent Residents" of HK a Chinese Passport. If a person refuses it, then they'll be in a world of bother. If they accept it China will never recognize their other nationality.

"The fact that most BNOs would have to rely on outbound flights to get to the UK makes it easier for china to restrict such movement. This is the danger."

The simple trick to getting around that is looking like you are booking a week long holiday to say Thailand, and then flying onto London from there.
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

That's the thing. China can either make it a gargantuan task for the relevant BNOs to flee abroad through admin/expense hurdles. Or can simply confiscate all relevant ID from the BNOs, thus preventing their leaving of Chinese territory altogether.

This is not to say that china will do any of that. But such manoeuvres are available to the autocratic government.

Ultimately the BNOs could still leave through refugee boats and slipping through the system to fly out but the question is would many of them consider it worthwhile? Only time will tell.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

So after all that big talk about hong kong and uighurs, turns out we need china after all. This is where splitting from the EU gets us

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ckbenchers

Boris Johnson declares he is 'fervently Sinophile' as UK woos China
PM seeks to strengthen UK trade ties with Beijing at No 10 roundtable despite Uighur abuses

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

The future has arrived

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Clive James in Hong Kong from 1997 is a good watch.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Well that showed those damned commies. :lol:

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1072031886?-3 ... atest_news

Genocide amendment: MPs vote 318-300 to block protections against trade deals with genocidal regimes
The measure was defeated despite a rebellion from a number of Tory MPs, who joined every other party in opposing the Government

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

For all its bluster about defending democracy, the UK government knows which side its bread is buttered. And it aint the hunan rights side.

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ch ... 2c793c38fb

UK May Do Trade Deal With China 'By The Back Door', Says Labour
Party's fears over an international pact comes amid condemnation of the regime from Tory backbenchers

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Sorry hong kong, but business comes first aka de pfeffel badly needs a trade deal. :D

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 40811.html

Boris Johnson says Britain must not ‘pitchfork away’ investment from China
‘China is a great civilisation’ says PM