Drinking

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Saints11

Drinking

Post by Saints11 »

As far as I can remember, from the age of 18, the longest I have gone without drinking alcohol is 16 days. Now I could well be wrong about this, I can't really be sure, but at least consciously trying not to drink I have only lasted 16 days. It was January 2018.

I'm by no means an alcoholic, if I have work the next day I rarely touch the stuff, but at the same time I never have a glass of wine, or 1 pint of beer. I drink to get drunk. I don't know if that's better or worse, its all or nothing for me.

Last Monday I had a big night at a staff event, was actually a very enjoyable evening and everyone was in great spirits (excuse the pun) but the next day the hangover was there as usual, and I thought why do I do this to myself? I genuinely felt depressed (not a word to lightly throw around) the entire day and started questioning some life decisions I had made, all very deep and bleak.

I'm looking to cut down massively on my booze intake, and nothing is truer than idle hands make the devils work (if that's the expression?) as I have on numerous occasion drank can after can after can out of boredom.

Please share with me your experiences :D
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

carcinogen

Re: Drinking

Post by carcinogen »

I binge. But I have no responsibilities other than getting to work on a Monday at 0730 in a vaguely sober-state.

Jimmy Greaves gave the best advice as far as I am concerned: You've got to be a stubborn bastard and just tell the drink to fuck off.

You know you're an alcoholic when booze has done this: (a) you get banned from driving (b) lose your job (c) get a criminal conviction (d) play for arsenal in the 1990s (e) lose your wife, or (f) be Alan Brazil.

If none of things have happened, things are still under control.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

Absolute bollocks, you're already probably too far gone if that's happening.

I was drinking way too much, every day in fact, never during the day but at night all bets were off.

Like you saints, I never had an off switch, If I had one I didn't stop until I was drunk, if I was in a position like a lunch when I was driving and I had one I'd be irritable until I could get in the position to finish the job off

I haven't had a drink in 15 months now and Life is immeasurably better in every way.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

subsub

Post by subsub »

I have cut down, but I still drink a lot.

I worked in the drinks industry for 15 years, and Mrs Subsub still does, so booze is an ever-present in our household.
Not drinking at all would be fucking boring, especially as wine is such a natural partner for food. Coke or lemonade with a roast dinner? Nah.

But I have learned in the past couple of years to wind it in a bit, because I feel so much fresher and alert the following day.
The other thing I've noticed is that if I do get trollied, I feel really shit for at least the next day, and sometimes the day after, whereas in my 20s I'd be ready to go out again the next day etc

Am trying to drink less but drink better (if that makes sense) :)
WOKE AND PROUD

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Ive really gone hard at honing my alcoholism into a fine art during lockdown
Build Back More Betterer

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Anyone who drinks over 20 units a week and has done for years, go to your docs and get a liver function test.

I will put money on it that at least 7 out of ten of you will be diagnosed with a fatty liver.
Not dangerous per se, and you'll never know you have it.. but leads to cirrhosis and George Bestism ultimately

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Sid Pervcat wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm I will put money on it that at least 7 out of ten
Given my gorgeous genetics, I like those odds. :) Throw in the 90s ecstacy scene, and the weed, and the coke/crack in the late millenium. All good here. Stop being such a fucking pansy ... live a life. FFS. All joking apart ... the piss is a killer, knock-it on the head. Peace x
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Sid Pervcat wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm Anyone who drinks over 20 units a week and has done for years, go to your docs and get a liver function test
I had a load of tests earlier in the year as part of a general health check.
Liver and heart both looking good, which is surprising given the amount I drink.
Good genes, I guess :mrgreen:
I don't smoke, though, and that is way, way worse for you than boozing (in 'moderation')
WOKE AND PROUD

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Stress is the killer. And eating shit food. Easy.

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

Eaststand wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:55 pm Ive really gone hard at honing my alcoholism into a fine art during lockdown
It does show.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Rowntree wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:39 pm
Eaststand wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:55 pm Ive really gone hard at honing my alcoholism into a fine art during lockdown
It does show.
I know, Im even funnier than before
Build Back More Betterer

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

Eaststand wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:41 pm
Rowntree wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:39 pm
It does show.
I know, Im even funnier than before
The Maude thread speaks volumes indeed.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

not a fan of funny word games, eh?

Its a funny meme. Cheer up.
Build Back More Betterer

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

I gave up consistent drinking 5 years ago.

Wasn’t an alkie but drank way too much and probably, like a lot of people, it became my way of switching off and relaxing in an evening. It becomes a habit and that habit could eventually become something much more entrapping. It also probably helped that I wound down because I take painkillers every day so that I can walk and exercise like a normal person. But certainly I was surprised how quickly I stopped missing it. I could also have just one when before, it was like Colin said, if I was having a drink I couldn’t just have one as it would’ve seemed pointless. But now I take it or leave it, generally leaving it tbh.

Nowadays I barely drink at all. It’s probably been a couple of months since my last drink (some bloody lovely rum btw) and I can’t even remember the last time I had a beer. Grandmother bought me a box of San Miguel for Christmas and it’s still sat in the kitchen alcove.

One thing I’m not is one of these smug gimps who looks down on regular drinkers. We all need to get by in life and if having a few bevvies of an evening is what helps you through then who am I to tell you otherwise? As long as it’s not controlling you then happy days.

But if a loved one does come to you with concerns I would say that you should at least take the time to listen to them and really think about whether they have a valid point. People don’t tell you to stop doing something you enjoy unless they think there’s a reason to do so, so be careful and aware of how healthy your relationship with alcohol actually is.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

Eaststand wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:16 pm not a fan of funny word games, eh?

Its a funny meme. Cheer up.
I don't need cheering up.