Post by TKMin_777 »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:01 pm Thanks for that
Ya would tho wouldn't ya ?
je ne suis pas un con

Jonathan

Re: Radio 2

Post by Jonathan »

Zambo wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:53 am
kancutlawns wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:41 am Ken Bruce is still on Radio 2?!?!
Being replaced by that wanker Vernon Kay.

Listeners are threatening to stop tuning in, in their droves.
Someone’s been reading a certain newspaper. :wink: :lol:

Modern journalism. Trawl social media for negative posts and create an article out of it. Click bait for the masses.

What’s the estimate number that “droves” equates to ?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

If you are triggered by a 'certain newspaper', then here is another. Ask them what they mean by 'droves', or ask the others that are carrying this story. :wink: :lol:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... e-29111874

BBC radio listeners are switching off in their droves and tuning into alternative stations after older DJs were replaced with younger ones, according to latest figures.

It comes after Paul O'Grady, Steve Wright, Vanessa Feltz, Craig Charles, Steve Wright and Ken Bruce all left Radio 2 over the past six months as part of a mass exodus on the station.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Zambo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:43 am If you are triggered by a 'certain newspaper', then here is another. Ask them what they mean by 'droves', or ask the others that are carrying this story. :wink: :lol:

BBC radio listeners are switching off in their droves and tuning into alternative stations after older DJs were replaced with younger ones, according to latest figures.

It comes after Paul O'Grady, Steve Wright, Vanessa Feltz, Craig Charles, Steve Wright and Ken Bruce all left Radio 2 over the past six months as part of a mass exodus on the station.
Bizarre. Why is the BBC obsessed with appealing to younger audiences? Young people don't watch cable TV or listen to the radio and instead prefer YouTube, Netflix and Disney+.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I think this is more a case of swapping an experienced, seasoned, excellent broadcaster, for a complete fucking dildo.

antdad

Post by antdad »

lambrini wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:52 am Bizarre. Why is the BBC obsessed with appealing to younger audiences? Young people don't watch cable TV or listen to the radio and instead prefer YouTube, Netflix and Disney+.
...they've been told to by Ofcom and usually youngsters don't clammer for the BBC/licence fee to be abolished. Bruce @ 72 has had a decent enough run and well over retirement age, folks will get over it or listen elsewhere.

subsub

Post by subsub »

antdad wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:34 am
lambrini wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:52 am Bizarre. Why is the BBC obsessed with appealing to younger audiences? Young people don't watch cable TV or listen to the radio and instead prefer YouTube, Netflix and Disney+.
...they've been told to by Ofcom and usually youngsters don't clammer for the BBC/licence fee to be abolished. Bruce @ 72 has had a decent enough run and well over retirement age, folks will get over it or listen elsewhere.
Exactly.
WOKE AND PROUD

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

lambrini wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:52 am
Zambo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:43 am If you are triggered by a 'certain newspaper', then here is another. Ask them what they mean by 'droves', or ask the others that are carrying this story. :wink: :lol:

Bizarre. Why is the BBC obsessed with appealing to younger audiences? Young people don't watch cable TV or listen to the radio and instead prefer YouTube, Netflix and Disney+.
Isn’t that where they can generate more revenue and a justification for its ongoing service? Young people can still watch dramas, soaps and news programmes. If they focus on a 60+ demographic, the target audience is very acute and what when they die out? What then?

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

antdad wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:34 am ... folks will get over it or listen elsewhere.
The problem is that with radio your relationship with the presenter seems more personal. Witness the abuse Gaunt still gets on this site, and Irani before him.
Maybe it's because the shows are three hours long, every day, and we feel we've got to know them, maybe not. To keep your interest for that length of time they must be good at projecting "friendliness", on Radio 2, at any rate. They don't get an audience by employing wind-up merchants, chosen for their ability to annoy, unlike certain other stations I could mention :-)
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Shaky Joe is 8 years older. I don't think you should be getting rid of people based solely on age. Judgement should be purely on performance v job objectives. Good old Ken was still blasting it out, and listeners seem to still like him. The biggest insult of course is being replaced by an absolute twanger.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

We’ve been here before. When JY went everyone was going to switch off Vine. When Wogan went no one was going to listen to Evans. All survived funny enough.

It’s a little reminiscent of the R1 cull many years ago. It evolved to change the listener demographics. R2 has to do the same. Problem is it’s all happened very quickly. It was Ken’s choice to leave, not the BBC, and at 72 getting a huge contract elsewhere is probably very attractive.

When you sit on top of the perch you are there to be shot at. You can’t blame a commercial company trying to recreate that elsewhere. They want those millions of listeners. No doubt they will get a % of them but I suspect R2 will remain at the top of the pile for a good while longer despite those mythical droves……..

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:52 am
Shaky Joe is 8 years older. I don't think you should be getting rid of people based solely on age. Judgement should be purely on performance v job objectives. Good old Ken was still blasting it out, and listeners seem to still like him. The biggest insult of course is being replaced by an absolute twanger.
Radio 2 can hire who they like, but I think Ken Bruce is a great presenter, and I'd much rather listen to him than Vernon Kay or Michelle Visage, but I guess they feel they know what they're doing…
WOKE AND PROUD

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

subsub wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:08 pm
Radio 2 can hire who they like, but I think Ken Bruce is a great presenter, and I'd much rather listen to him than Vernon Kay or Michelle Visage, but I guess they feel they know what they're doing…
Well no, they haven't got a clue what they are doing. They couldn't even be bothered to tell him why he was being shunted after 30 odd years of loyal service.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... EARLY.html

antdad

Post by antdad »

Kiddy sniffer Joe was still voted for. :lol: An objective of the corporation is to youfanise itself so that doesn't include us.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/la ... generation