Quote chains taking up too much space

About this place.
The Tick

Quote chains taking up too much space

Post by The Tick »

No idea if this has been discussed before.

On the forums there is an occasional trend for two posters to quote each other in quick succession, leaing to posts which are so big in size due to multiple quotes in a chains.

If I get caught up in one such chain, I try to cut it up by starting a fresh post in response to the person I'm debating.

Nonetheless such chains can be difficult to read especially if people read it from a smartphone.

I notice on other message boards that quotes are shortened with the option to expand if a reader wants to see the full body of text for each quote in the chain, and contractable again at discretion.

Is it possible to enable such a function on talkforum? To make reading threads a bit more comfortable.

delboy1983

Re: Quote chains taking up too much space

Post by delboy1983 »

Have been saying this for long enough.Copy and paste the section your response is about and add your response.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Oh no, never mentioned before, no
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

delboy1983 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:34 pm Have been saying this for long enough.Copy and paste the section your response is about and add your response.
Derek, you fuck it up every time you attempt to do it. You giving that advice is equivalent to OJ Simpson offering relationship counselling.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

The Tick wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:27 pm No idea if this has been discussed before.

On the forums there is an occasional trend for two posters to quote each other in quick succession, leaing to posts which are so big in size due to multiple quotes in a chains.

If I get caught up in one such chain, I try to cut it up by starting a fresh post in response to the person I'm debating.

Nonetheless such chains can be difficult to read especially if people read it from a smartphone.

I notice on other message boards that quotes are shortened with the option to expand if a reader wants to see the full body of text for each quote in the chain, and contractable again at discretion.

Is it possible to enable such a function on talkforum? To make reading threads a bit more comfortable.
Adding one fucking smiley to quote chains, or even a separate reply should be punishable by a week's ban
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Sadact7 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:50 pm
delboy1983 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:34 pm Have been saying this for long enough.Copy and paste the section your response is about and add your response.
Derek, you fuck it up every time you attempt to do it. You giving that advice is equivalent to OJ Simpson offering relationship counselling.
Moi !! :)
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

The Tick wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:27 pm No idea if this has been discussed before.

will have a look and see what options are available.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

If I quote a post in a thread and it has multiple quotes, I just leave the top user name and delete all of the rest and their quotes, just leaving the last post before adding mine.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:44 am If I quote a post in a thread and it has multiple quotes, I just leave the top user name and delete all of the rest and their quotes, just leaving the last post before adding mine.
That's what I'd do but as I post from a smartphone that becomes a really laborious thing.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

There is something fucked up with the quotes or is this the new way ?
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

The Tick wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:37 pm
Zambo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:44 am If I quote a post in a thread and it has multiple quotes, I just leave the top user name and delete all of the rest and their quotes, just leaving the last post before adding mine.
That's what I'd do but as I post from a smartphone that becomes a really laborious thing.

This is your fault.
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"

subsub

Post by subsub »

Looks like previous threads in a post have a little scroll bar in them.

Much better than these hugely long posts that take up tons on space.

Thank you to whoever has implemented this :)
WOKE AND PROUD

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

It looks on a phone like it's cut short with no warning
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

gheko

Post by gheko »

I don't get a scroll bar, just cuts it off.
Picture is clickable.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

gheko wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:51 am I don't get a scroll bar, just cuts it off.
Picture is clickable.

What are you using to browse the forum?