Internet problems on phone

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
The Tick

Internet problems on phone

Post by The Tick »

Whether on mobile data or wifi, my smartphone has a tendency to have the internet freeze.

Which is only resolved by turning my phone off and then on again. But it goes down again after about 30 minutes. Doing this repeatedly over the course of a day is tedious.

Any thoughts on what the problem is and how best to resolve it without going to a repair shop?

Vespa

Re: Internet problems on phone

Post by Vespa »

Silly question do you have the latest software? I'd also check what apps are running in the background.

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

Could you be opening multiple browsers (or browser tabs) but not closing them until it reaches critical mass.

Does always happen when you're on one particular site or does it vary?
I really am a biatch

antdad

Post by antdad »

Guessing it's android. Does it freeze irrespective of what app is being used and how much storage do you have left, if you're down to less than 10% that could be a cause, free up some space.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Thanks to all who replied

@ antdad, I cleared a lot of memory from my phone and so far the internet stopped freezing. But I'll monitor it for a bit in case it kicks off again. Hopefully it really was just that which was the issue.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

The Tick wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:11 am Thanks to all who replied

@ antdad, I cleared a lot of memory from my phone and so far the internet stopped freezing. But I'll monitor it for a bit in case it kicks off again. Hopefully it really was just that which was the issue.
As a guide, I get a similar problem when I open a few browser pages from my local newspaper website - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/

More than a few tabs open in the browser and the whole laptop almost grinds to a halt. When I check, memory utilisation and disk read/write are heading off the scale. Every page on their website is loaded with shrapnel to serve advertising, background links, requests for financial support (during these difficut covid times) and constantly expanding boxes to promote their sponsors.

Have a look at what is being loaded on the web pages you are browsing