NFL Road to Superbowl LV and NtFL Games

Anything sportlike
antdad

Re: NFL Road to Superbowl LV and NtFL Games

Post by antdad »

So how did that happen NFL fans? I know squat about the sport but I thought the Glazers were originally accused of running down and underfunding their teams or moving their franchises to a more profitable city/ region with little or no regard for the fans? Did they just invest in the best ever quarter back and that was that?

Shedboy

Post by Shedboy »

Congratulations, Arthur. =D> =D> =D>

Carlos, many thanks for all your hard work as usual. :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

I watched a little bit of the game, the period where Gonkowski(?) scored a touchdown for Tampa.

Obviously I’m very much uneducated in the sport, although I do understand most of the rules of the game and how it’s played.

What I just can’t understand is the appeal it has. As a game it feels painfully slow to watch, and as a spectacle (taking out the fantastically American razzmatazz) it just underwhelms me.

I don’t slate people for liking it, and you shouldn’t dismiss things out of hand, but I’ve tried numerous times to watch it and just do not get it.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

davidarthur

Post by davidarthur »

Thanks all and in particular to Carlos for organising. Got lucky as only went for the Bucs as Kev picked the Chiefs.

Only 7 months until the start of the season 😩😩

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

antdad wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:34 pm So how did that happen NFL fans? I know squat about the sport but I thought the Glazers were originally accused of running down and underfunding their teams or moving their franchises to a more profitable city/ region with little or no regard for the fans? Did they just invest in the best ever quarter back and that was that?
Think the Buccs have done ok under the Glazers, won the Super Bowl in 2002 season. Not just Brady, but also bringing in Gronk and others and the Chiefs had a weakened offensive line. More and better than I can say here: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bucc ... urnaround/
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Sadact7 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:33 pm I watched a little bit of the game, the period where Gonkowski(?) scored a touchdown for Tampa.

Obviously I’m very much uneducated in the sport, although I do understand most of the rules of the game and how it’s played.

What I just can’t understand is the appeal it has. As a game it feels painfully slow to watch, and as a spectacle (taking out the fantastically American razzmatazz) it just underwhelms me.

I don’t slate people for liking it, and you shouldn’t dismiss things out of hand, but I’ve tried numerous times to watch it and just do not get it.
Fair enough, Sadact. Think we've had a siomilar post before. I reckon a lot who like it started watching when C4 starting show ing back in the day and as kids or older would play a bit, someone always had an american football then, as was something different.. So you get to know the rules and a few tactics as can be hard to learn. Yeah, games go on, but don't mind that. Baseball I can watch, but not a favourite of mine.

Take rugby, used to play at school, as per used to run away from where the ball was. Don't mind the game, like league better, but not a big fan and so many rules I don't undersatnd when watching on telly.

And cricket, which I love. Used to be in the school team and all the people I know who like it, played it as a kid/adult. Just some thoughts.

antdad

Post by antdad »

Agreed, if you've played as a kid you generally have more of an appreciation of the sport and a tendency to follow it or at least watch it in later life. As a Southerner I played Union so have little appreciation of League and the subtleties of it, really same ball different sport afaik. Another don't get the point of grid iron or baseball here as a sporting spectacle, it certainly can be a spectacle but no not for me. I played basketball as a kid and it's watchable because of it's pace and has the origins of a decent street sport. Whenever I see AF portrayed in a film say with ten usually American guys in a park going through plays I think jumpers for goal posts boys jumpers for goal posts, that is no fun and it's supposed to be.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

antdad wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:53 pm Agreed, if you've played as a kid you generally have more of an appreciation of the sport and a tendency to follow it or at least watch it in later life. As a Southerner I played Union so have little appreciation of League and the subtleties of it, really same ball different sport afaik. Another don't get the point of grid iron or baseball here as a sporting spectacle, it certainly can be a spectacle but no not for me. I played basketball as a kid and it's watchable because of it's pace and has the origins of a decent street sport. Whenever I see AF portrayed in a film say with ten usually American guys in a park going through plays I think jumpers for goal posts boys jumpers for goal posts, that is no fun and it's supposed to be.
Ha at the last sentence. Yeah, guys going through plays in a park is a bit serious, mostly park games seen in the states and just tag-football and people wanting to be quarterback or receiver. Jumpers for goalposts is better.

From the south and we played Union, though did live oop north for a bit as a kid, just watched League usually on 'Grandstand' and the Challenge Cup and like it better as a quicker game. Union then tended to be more entrenched and kicking, seems different now.

Played basketball at school and again used to watch C4 coverage of British basketball with old Alton Byrd, but not a big fan.

The odd games of NFL, MLB and NBA here are popular as enough fans to get a crowd, not sure a franchise would work after the novelty and would probably get more fans of the away team there. London Monarchs and that were popular for a bit then faded and folded and moved elsewhere.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Well done David Arthur, what a win! Fair dues and you went with your heart/gut tipping the Buccs - hope you won some cash on them too! Gutted I blew it, but it's my DNA being a Jocko.

Great work as always CJ, le magnifique as always. I'll miss the Sundays, but it's also a sign that the light nights are on their way! :)
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.