Wrexham

Anything sportlike
chelseachelsea

Re: Wrexham

Post by chelseachelsea »

JimmyDee wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:02 pm Isn't "buying the title" supposed to be a bad thing, though?
It depends who you support, and who won the league. :?

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

JimmyDee wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:02 pm Isn't "buying the title" supposed to be a bad thing, though?
There’s definitely a distinction between buying the title and engaging in sportswashing.

In the grand scheme of things it’s small beer. Look at the Premier League; Abu Dhabi buy Man City, the Saudis one up them by buying a much bigger club in Newcastle, so the Qataris decide to trump them both by going after Man United.

It’s all a massive shit show. All you can really do is pinch your nose and decide which unpleasantness you will choose to ignore.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Sadact7 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:21 pm
There’s definitely a distinction between buying the title and engaging in sportswashing.

In the grand scheme of things it’s small beer. Look at the Premier League; Abu Dhabi buy Man City, the Saudis one up them by buying a much bigger club in Newcastle, so the Qataris decide to trump them both by going after Man United.

It’s all a massive shit show. All you can really do is pinch your nose and decide which unpleasantness you will choose to ignore.
On one had you two rich North Americans who seem to love their club and interact with the fans, on the other you have a regime that tortured a reporter to death and taped it so their King could listen at their leisure.

antdad

Post by antdad »

...come on Vespa, having to watch Reynolds on screen is a form of torture. ;)

I don't know about the other one but I get the impression Reynolds has a rather sarky British sensibility about him which is unusual for a Canadian Hollywood actor. Clearly a very smart cookey business wise, even if there is more than a wiff of opportunism about the takeover he seems like a genuine force for good, has revived the club and is having a good time doing it.

subsub

Post by subsub »

antdad wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:09 am ...come on Vespa, having to watch Reynolds on screen is a form of torture. ;)

I don't know about the other one but I get the impression Reynolds has a rather sarky British sensibility about him which is unusual for a Canadian Hollywood actor. Clearly a very smart cookey business wise, even if there is more than a wiff of opportunism about the takeover he seems like a genuine force for good, has revived the club and is having a good time doing it.
Yep.
I don't need to see his mug on the TV every time I switch on, but him and his pal seem decent enough.
One of them is trying to get Bale to come out of retirement to play for Wrexham...
WOKE AND PROUD

antdad

Post by antdad »

All part of the Hollywood froth. I seriously doubt Bale is going to unretire to play for a bunch of cloggers except for the odd celeb appearance, he's far happier on the fairway.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

chelseachelsea wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:54 pm
Every PL fan wants their team to do it ... "We've spent no money this window! It's a disgrace!" ... but all the teams that fail slag off the team that succeeds. You have to laugh.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

JimmyDee wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:46 pm
chelseachelsea wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:54 pm
Every PL fan wants their team to do it ... "We've spent no money this window! It's a disgrace!" ... but all the teams that fail slag off the team that succeeds. You have to laugh.
Well, you don’t HAVE to tbf.

In a bit Foam Moe

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

antdad wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:09 am ...come on Vespa, having to watch Reynolds on screen is a form of torture. ;)

He seems pretty astute at business, mobile phone network he has a stake in just sold for $1bn.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

I watched the series and it was pretty enjoyable. It helps if you like Always Sunny and Deadpool.
But the featured 'supporters' are pretty, well, unwisely chosen.
One in particular seems to be a nasty mouthy piece of shit.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

As are all football "supporters" tbh tbf
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Poi machaaahs dahhn!

antdad

Post by antdad »

Fat lookalikes...

Jon Kay (BBC News) V Ryan Reynolds

finchman

Post by finchman »

Wrexham v Wigan Athletic (live on sky apparently).
Will the poppy dodger make his debut against his former club........?..........O the drama.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

finchman wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:46 pm Wrexham v Wigan Athletic (live on sky apparently).
Will the poppy dodger make his debut against his former club........?..........O the drama.
On your side for this one Fincho.

Up the fucking Tics

In a bit Foam Moe