In-depth debate on all topical issues
The Tick

Re: Child hunger

Post by The Tick »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:02 pm
The Tick wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:45 pm
Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:39 pm
The Tick wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:59 am
Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:25 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54692270

As usual, in the words of the late Johnny Nash, there are more questions than answers

1) How much does she get in benefits/credits and how does she spend it ?

2) Where's the dad and why isn't he paying anything?

3) Why does she live in the middle of nowhere with no temporary work available?

4) How much does her art website make?

5) Her parents are clearly minted, can they help if things are that desperate?

All very relevant questions, but let's focus on foraging blackberries to not die.

All straw clutching criteria used to weasel out of helping someone clearly financially struggling to support their children.
Show me the facts

Incomings/outgoings. What's prioritised above spending money on food ?

Your questions are irrelevant to the case in the BBC story you linked.

A parent who is currently out of work during lockdown needs support with providing food for their child. No one should have to choose between feeding their child and paying for fuel/bills/council tax/rent/mortgage.
Which is why a breakdown of incomings and outgoings for this lady (and everyone else with 'starving' kids) would be most useful.
Theres sufficient information on that particular family case to justify their claim. Means testing the most vulnerable families do not have to justify themselves to you by answering questions about the children's father.

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

At least these kids have a roof over their heads, I was homeless a while back and was told to fuck off by the council after 25 years of paying tax.

Many of these parents get their rent paid, tax credits, child benefit and God knows what else.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Kowalski wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:05 pm At least these kids have a roof over their heads, I was homeless a while back and was told to fuck off by the council after 25 years of paying tax.

Many of these parents get their rent paid, tax credits, child benefit and God knows what else.
And that's the point . 10 years of misery compounded by this lockdown derived malaise. A few generalisations and cliched points about housing benefit and child benefits are no reason to let children go hungry. They're not the cause of this mess nor are they in a position to overcome it.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Kowalski wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:05 pm At least these kids have a roof over their heads, I was homeless a while back and was told to fuck off by the council after 25 years of paying tax.

How many?
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

It's not cliches, it's a fact and when you're in that situation you realise society doesn't give a fuck about you because you're sensible and haven't started a family irresponsibly.

I've met lots of single mothers and they always have money, like other posters have said let's study some of these families finances and assess why they can't afford to feed their children and if they are really underfunded I will support them getting more benefits.

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Sadact7 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:31 pm

How many?
All that I have encountered on a low income or unemployed.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Kowalski wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:36 pm

How many?
Yeah, alright.

Presumably you force them to disclose all their information so that you can make a full audit.

In a bit Foam Moe

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Kowalski wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:32 pm It's not cliches, it's a fact and when you're in that situation you realise society doesn't give a fuck about you because you're sensible and haven't started a family irresponsibly.

I've met lots of single mothers and they always have money, like other posters have said let's study some of these families finances and assess why they can't afford to feed their children and if they are really underfunded I will support them getting more benefits.
You haven't met all the families in britain that live in poverty so your anecdotal evidence only goes so far. That's not enough grounds for imposing some draconian means testing for which child gets to eat enough in the midst of a major economic downturn.

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Sadact7 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:39 pm

How many?
Yeah, alright.

Presumably you force them to disclose all their information so that you can make a full audit.
Believe what you like, have a look on the internet and see what people are entitled to if you have the time.

I'm just wondering why people are so against mean testing and believe random poverty stories on the internet with no evidence.

Perhaps it makes then feel better about themselves.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Kowalski wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:54 pm
Sadact7 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:39 pm

How many?
Yeah, alright.

Believe what you like, have a look on the internet and see what people are entitled to if you have the time.

I'm just wondering why people are so against mean testing and believe random poverty stories on the internet with no evidence.

Perhaps it makes then feel better about themselves.
But I’m supposed to take you at your word?

In a bit Foam Moe

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Marina Hyde is terrific.
You almost feel sorry for Johnson.
Almost.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you