Depressing Places in the UK

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Zippy

Depressing Places in the UK

Post by Zippy »

I travelled for work earlier for the first time in months. While the novelty of this was great and getting up with a sense of purpose and somewhere to be was much missed, the journey sadly took me to Euston Station. It has somehow managed to get even worse.

Is there a more depressing place in the UK than there? If so, I'd love to hear it. Hard to top that ugly shithole.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Re: Depressing Places in the UK

Post by Basualdo »

Lurgan.
Merthyr Tydfil.
Reading.
Slough ( okay, that place has been done to death but with good reason).
Lower Newtownards Road, East Belfast (proud ancestral homeland but, Christ, google streetview it and find out why its shit).
Stoke, (a place so shit that it won't even properly coalesce with itself to stop the universe disappearing down a black hole of suck)
Lahndahn.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Holborn in central London. I love London me but this desolate place is soul destroying and no one admits to really wanting to be for long. It’s like the Slough of Berkshire surrounded by salubrious settings like Ascot, Windsor, Maidenhead and Sandhurst. It’s got no identity, the midpoint between the West End and the City. A lack of identity, landmarks and High Holborn goes on for fucking ages. The Strand and Lincoln’s Inn are your closest refuge but unless you’re a silk or a old hack yearning for the old days of Fleet Street, it’s not really all that.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Dull "new towns" such as milton keynes, basildon , slough etc. Devoid of identity or charm. Typically they serve as nothing other than places to live with bare essential services. Functional and nothing else. They tend to follow that american urban model of cul de sac housing with a big shopping mall to provide all the trade and leisure.

Post industrial rust buckets like burnley, stoke, Middlesbrough, swansea. Abandoned factories and bland warehouses dont make for an exciting view.

London has become a bit depressing with the overindulgence in property deveopment with every bit of open space given to dull unimaginative housing. The ever increasing traffic and street clutter is awful too.

Other than that most parts of the UK are pretty fun. Its the lack of civic pride in our urban landscape that counts against us. If you look at counties like germany, france and spain they typically ensure that even the most obscure and smallest of their towns have a harmonious blend of functionality and beauty. And they seem genuinely developed for human enjoyment.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Swanley
Park Royal
Harlow
Waltham Cross
Stevenage
Weston-Super-Mare
Port Glasgow
That street in Cardiff where all the chippies are
WOKE AND PROUD

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Lewisham. So much building work going on there but you cannot polish that turd.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Glasgow Dundee Carlisle
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

I found driving at night on the A17 across the Fens, with only the occasional gleam of a farmhouse light in the distance to relieve the feeling of doom, really depressing.
It wasn't that exciting in daylight either.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Lots to choose from but at or near the top has to be Basingstoke.
We lived in a village four miles or so outside in the 80s. There was one dominant office block above all the others and there was a poll to ask people what they wanted at the top when it was dark. They chose a digital clock.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Hillman avenger wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:29 pm Lots to choose from but at or near the top has to be Basingstoke.
We lived in a village four miles or so outside in the 80s. There was one dominant office block above all the others and there was a poll to ask people what they wanted at the top when it was dark. They chose a digital clock.

Suhari

Post by Suhari »

Hillman avenger wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:29 pm Lots to choose from but at or near the top has to be Basingstoke.
Totally shit in the 80s and 90s. In about 2000 they did up the centre, basically putting a roof over the old city centre shopping area, which used to be full of 12 year old mums and smelled of piss. The shopping centre made it better, but it's strange walking around white, marbled "shopping mall" roads that used to open to the air, grey concrete and full of dog turds.

Eastleigh. Now there's a shithole. Was on par with Blazingstoke 30 years ago, and now far surpasses it. Too many toes and not enough braincells or teeth in the typical resident.

And don't get me started on Shirley high street.
I might have done one - not sure but possible.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

The Quadrant Shopping Centre in Dunstable - I went to look at a potential project there a couple of years ago. It’s the cliche dystopian Clockwork Orange horror show.

The Trafford Centre - Cathedral for the horrific nouveau riche orange scum of the North
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Sadact7 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:14 pm The Quadrant Shopping Centre in Dunstable - I went to look at a potential project there a couple of years ago. It’s the cliche dystopian Clockwork Orange horror show.

The Trafford Centre - Cathedral for the horrific nouveau riche orange scum of the North
I stayed in the Travelodge in Dunstable for a couple of nights back in 2013. Should have read the reviews before I went. It had a reputation of being a particularly low level bordello with a seedy and borderline dangerous atmosphere and apparently there were call girls that frequented the place.

Stevenage New Town - Soulless and empty. One needs to seek refuge in the Tesco as there is literally fuck all to do there.

Wythenshawe - A ghastly town, not far from decent parts like Altrincham and Cheadle but it might as well be on a different planet

Plymouth - How this shithole got put in the fine county of Devon is anyone’s guess. Dull, dreary and depressing.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

kancutlawns wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:43 pm
Sadact7 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:14 pm The Quadrant Shopping Centre in Dunstable - I went to look at a potential project there a couple of years ago. It’s the cliche dystopian Clockwork Orange horror show.

I stayed in the Travelodge in Dunstable for a couple of nights back in 2013. Should have read the reviews before I went. It had a reputation of being a particularly low level bordello with a seedy and borderline dangerous atmosphere and apparently there were call girls that frequented the place.

Dunstable, you say?
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Dunstable Road. Might be in a Luton postcode.