Depressing Places in the UK

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Re: Depressing Places in the UK

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Bumper cars = dementia
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Carlos J wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:54 am No one, not even carc or Shabba mentioned Shithole Yarmouth. Grimmest of the grim. a wannabe Blackpool.

This is Regent Road, early morning, 2018, the err Strip, but leading away from the sea to the town. Chocka in summer, starting at the Spoons furtter up near the town centre.

One may ponder if this is the best the town offers, what lies behind? Grim, more grim and grimmer.:shock:

Oy yay, the socalled Golden Mile and Pleasure Beach. I take my nephew there every year when visiting, started off in Joyland and the Snails, a tradition:

Then as he got older more the Pleasure Beach. It is good value, a pay once wristband and can go on everything all the time. Loved the Ghost House when younger and we always do the dodgems, when older, more the fright rides and the old wooden rollercoaster. Now aged 16, and post-lockdown next summer, sure he'll still like the dodgems, who doesn't and whatever new rides they have.

That may have sounded nostalgic, twas, but back to the thread, it really is an awful place, the Golden Mile stinks of yesteryear seaside holidays, so maybe it can change next year and think of the future. Socalled Golden Mile post-lockdown:

My kids loved Joyland. Can see the green just peaking through at the start of the clip. Spent a fortune in there :lol:

Great Yarmouth was alright. We went into the town twice in the week that we stayed at Hopton.
Parked just along from the Pleasure Beach and walked along the main promenade to Joyland and a little beyond.

We used Hopton as a base. Had a glorious day in and around the small towns of the Norfolk broads and also a spent a day a Roarr! and followed by a lovely pub meal at the Bridge Inn in Lenwade.

Norfolk is a lovely part of the country. Glad we visited but i won't be back any time soon. Quite fancy Dorset and the Jurassic Coast next summer (COVID permitting)
A joyless arsehole.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

shabbado wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:29 am
Carlos J wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:54 am No one, not even carc or Shabba mentioned Shithole Yarmouth. Grimmest of the grim. a wannabe Blackpool.

This is Regent Road, early morning, 2018, the err Strip, but leading away from the sea to the town. Chocka in summer, starting at the Spoons furtter up near the town centre.

One may ponder if this is the best the town offers, what lies behind? Grim, more grim and grimmer.:shock:

Oy yay, the socalled Golden Mile and Pleasure Beach. I take my nephew there every year when visiting, started off in Joyland and the Snails, a tradition:

Then as he got older more the Pleasure Beach. It is good value, a pay once wristband and can go on everything all the time. Loved the Ghost House when younger and we always do the dodgems, when older, more the fright rides and the old wooden rollercoaster. Now aged 16, and post-lockdown next summer, sure he'll still like the dodgems, who doesn't and whatever new rides they have.

That may have sounded nostalgic, twas, but back to the thread, it really is an awful place, the Golden Mile stinks of yesteryear seaside holidays, so maybe it can change next year and think of the future. Socalled Golden Mile post-lockdown:

My kids loved Joyland. Can see the green just peaking through at the start of the clip. Spent a fortune in there :lol:

Great Yarmouth was alright. We went into the town twice in the week that we stayed at Hopton.
Parked just along from the Pleasure Beach and walked along the main promenade to Joyland and a little beyond.

We used Hopton as a base. Had a glorious day in and around the small towns of the Norfolk broads and also a spent a day a Roarr! and followed by a lovely pub meal at the Bridge Inn in Lenwade.

Norfolk is a lovely part of the country. Glad we visited but i won't be back any time soon. Quite fancy Dorset and the Jurassic Coast next summer (COVID permitting)
Aww, glad they enjoyed Joyland, :) Spent a fortune in there as well with nephew just riding the rides again and again, but hey. It is a place to go before you go on to the Pleasure Beach
bigger rirdes when older.

Also glad you enjoyed Norfolk and Roarrr!, a great place for kids and yes, Norfolk is a lovely place with the Broads towns. :smt023

But I am still a fan of sunny Suffolk. though nealrly lived in Norfolk as long. Shame you didn't cross the border. The 'Stoft, Lowestoft, is Yarmouth's better brother. And sunny Suffolk has so much to offer, Not fucking Southwold though, from Orwell resting and now a second home place of London types.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

And here's Lowestoft:

My home in sunny Suffolk from early 2000s till moving to Norwich in 2012. A shit town, but a great town, as as per top commenter:
Brett Wilson
5 months ago
You deserve a medal, don't know how you have made Lowestoft look so good. Possibly because there are no crack and smackheads in the high street because of lockdown, just a thought
It's not that bad, well maybe. Feel far safer walking the night streets of Partridgeland.

But on a sunny day, nice beaches and what a prom. He sort of stopped before the Cefas building, big building in the distance at 14.30 and could have taken a walk in Kensington Gardens, just above sea level where he was, Nice painted huts until then, Even better beyond the Cefaas building it is a dunes beach and totally willd.

Same as the north Denes, beyond Ness Point going north and sadly closed old Corton naturist beach, damned erosion and fringe elements of wankers blamed. The few times I went there was 90% old male. Not for me, Beeky, but if looking for a grandaddy and play, it would be cock heaven: http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/suffolk/hi/ ... 893196.stm

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Elephant and Castle
Islington
Mile End
Whitechapel
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

Carlos J wrote:No one, not even carc or Shabba mentioned Shithole Yarmouth. Grimmest of the grim. a wannabe Blackpool.

Yarmouth is dreadful Image. Never been the same since they closed the waxworks museum.

Blackpool
Peterborough
Luton

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

shabbado wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:29 am

Roy's of Wroxham, the outta town shopping expeeeerience-ah!
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Last year we were staying at Winterton for a break and our route took us through G Yarmouth . I had been before but forgotten what a dump it is. Blackpool without the irony.
But then we got to Caistor which managed to make GY look better. Stopped there to get lunch at a pub which had a scrawled sign on the door "If you don't support Brexit fuck off".
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Geezer
Forum Admin

Post by Geezer »

paolo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:56 am
Geezer wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:45 am Barrow-in-Furness
Rotherham
no way

i've had many a great night at the Tivoli!
You and me both my friend.

15 quid all you can some (tenner for the ladies (loose term, it was Rotherham))
'This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption.'

paolo

Post by paolo »

Geezer wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:58 am
paolo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:56 am
Geezer wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:45 am Barrow-in-Furness
Rotherham
no way

i've had many a great night at the Tivoli!
You and me both my friend.

15 quid all you can some (tenner for the ladies (loose term, it was Rotherham))
Correct!

Straight upstairs, bouncers wouldn’t let you out near the pitch
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

Ladies and Gentlemen there is nowhere in the Uk as depressing as the town March in Cambridgeshire. Not only is the landscape completely flat and sparse.

But it’s near neighbour is Wisbech which is an absolute dive but somehow compared to March it looks like Las Vegas.

March’s other near metropolis is of course Peterborough. And if Adrian Durham is one of there more famous exports, you can imagine what that place is like.
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Basingstoke train station.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:58 pm Basingstoke train station.
Euston

Ugh
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

davidarthur

Post by davidarthur »

Rhyl wins hands down. Used to go there as a kid and for nostalgia took my kids a few years back. Left after 1 hour having seen at least 5 drunks (2 of which threw up in front of us) and had 2 people offer us drugs. And this was at 10am on Sunday.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

lambrini wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:49 pm Elephant and Castle
Islington
Mile End
Whitechapel
One of my exes moved to London Bridge. When visiting used to always go to The Rockingham Arms 'spoons at E&C for breakfast. Funny old place, but enjoyable enough.