Paul Merson’s gambling documentary

Talksport - the main station discussion place
JudgeTedd

Paul Merson’s gambling documentary

Post by JudgeTedd »

Just watched it on BBC1. A very powerful programme which is well worth a watch if you missed it. An amazing part was showing which parts of the brain are stimulated by just seeing images of things associated with betting.

But my main point is, the next time talkSport decide to focus own the effects gambling can have on ruining people’s lives, they daren’t play betting adverts straight after. TalkSport are going to have to have a long think about there use of gambling companies in the future. These companies seem to act like vultures on the vulnerable.
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

antdad

Re: Paul Merson’s gambling documentary

Post by antdad »

I didn't see the documentary but it's a point I've certainly made more than once on here.

I was going to make it again on Reg's AFTV thread where White and Jordan were snidely accusatory of Robbie for making a buck out of AFTV. That is just outragous hypocrisy when they take the loot from their toxic sponsors whether it's gambling, fast food or some other harmful shite they are happy to pedal.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Gambling is the shitstain on the gusset of modern football. An absolute filth of an industry.

I despise the whole culture of trying to make pissing away all your brass on a betting app somehow cool and edgy. All with plenty of LOLHashtagBantz.

As for Paddy Power, I want to wipe that fucking hideous smear of a company off the face of the Earth.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Juice Terry

Post by Juice Terry »

"A fantastic documentary was on TV recently showing Paul Mersons terrible gambling addiction, powerful, powerful stuff...now let's get the latest odds with Coral...Stevo who's favourites for relegation this year!"
LUFC

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

He estimated his losses at 7 million and is now living in rented accommodation. Very sad state of affairs.

shivah

Post by shivah »

About time talkSPAWT changed it's name to talkBET.
Grunt is a Chunt.

JW90

Post by JW90 »

I'm sure JWOTS will go in-depth on how bad it all is. The lads from Coral/ checking on the odds with Paddy Power will be back later.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Same station that made a point of inviting Ray Wilkins in for a chat when he was pissed.
Good for the ratings.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Same station that uses carra, Sinclair, even barton
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

antdad

Post by antdad »

Jonathan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:00 am He estimated his losses at 7 million and is now living in rented accommodation. Very sad state of affairs.
I'm not disputing the seriousness of his illness but living in rented accomodation isn't exactly the end of the world. Is it a one bed studio in shitsville that he can barely afford and he's going to the food bank or is it a £5K a month pad in Kensington and he can still go to Fortnum.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

antdad wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:35 am
Jonathan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:00 am He estimated his losses at 7 million and is now living in rented accommodation. Very sad state of affairs.
I'm not disputing the seriousness of his illness but living in rented accomodation isn't exactly the end of the world. Is it a one bed studio in shitsville that he can barely afford and he's going to the food bank or is it a £5K a month pad in Kensington and he can still go to Fortnum.
Of course it isn’t but when you have spunked £7 million quid it’s certainly food for thought.

It didn’t look like a swanky pad in Kensington.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Nowhere near as sad as people on low income who have now lost their jobs and queuing up at food banks. These are people who find themselves destitute through no fault of their own. What would they have given for a tiny fraction of the 7m Merson earned.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

kentred1

Post by kentred1 »

They should do one on Boozil

antdad

Post by antdad »

@ Jonathan

I wasn't picking particularly on what you said but just trying to gauge how desperate his situation was having not seen the doc.

I do find it difficult to be sympathetic towards once wealthy problem gamblers though, well clearly less than you are but I do despise the industry nonetheless.

Shilton is another one, all the money and time in the world to get help and "forty-five" years on he's still trying to make a buck on the back of his tell it all book. Merson is releasing a book, no?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Also wonder how much he got for doing the programme and where he's invested it.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On