Going on holiday on your own

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
kancutlawns

Going on holiday on your own

Post by kancutlawns »

Last time I went on holiday on my lonesome was San Francisco and then Southern California in 2005. Was a good experience, missed the independence for years before to travel wherever I wanted to, eat whatever I wanted to and walk quickly without waiting for assorted accompaniments to keep up with me. Not has a hol on my own since then and not sure I’d have the same sort of enjoyment if I did.

subsub

Re: Going on holiday on your own

Post by subsub »

I've never done that.
The nearest thing to it was visiting California/Arizona/Utah with one of those explore companies where there's a group of a dozen or so people (who you've never met before).
Luckily, they were all a nice bunch :)
WOKE AND PROUD

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Travelling alone is good as it forces oneself to take full responsibility for their own welfare. It forces them to take the initiative to meet people where they go , and deal with the nuts and bolts of travelling i.e currency, transport, language, fact finding, medicines and so on.

Much better to do it when of younger age and fitter. As one gets older they prefer companionship and luxury, such as those offered by resort/package holidays.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

kancutlawns wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:53 am Last time I went on holiday on my lonesome was San Francisco
The 'jokes' write themselves
A joyless arsehole.

antdad

Post by antdad »

Spent most of my twenties and early thirties doing it from two weeks to two months away either slumming it in hostels to the occasional four/five star. It does force you to be open but it depends what you want out of a holiday. As long as you're not a sociopath and have a friendly attitude it's far easier to befreind folks as a singleton and as you say it can be limiting if you're coupled or familied up.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Still love travelling alone, as above, you do what you want, when you want and can change plans each day if you want with no hassles. Had many great holidays with partners, friends but also some bad ones and often end up getting a bit tetchy after a few days. Most trips to the US have been alone, but fairly easy and like kancut have also ended up in SF as well. :)

Was going to reprise the cancelled NY/DC/SF from last year to next but not sure now as other places to go especially Scandinavia as never been, Mike and is first on the list. But do want to go to DC sometime. And a host of other places as well all over. So, it's more time and money really.

Easy to meet people if you want and not if you don't. Worst thing for me when solo is nice restuarants, not for me going there, not sure why, never tried it, but don't think it's my thing, so end up at OK places more suited to solo eaters, which is often better as just local quick places. So not really a huge bane.

And if you want photo memories of somewhere, ask any couple taking a shit selfie with something in the background to take their photo. They will be happy and will take one of you.

Echo antdad. It's your attitude and what you want from a trip. And not sure, Tick, it's a young mans game. Certainly, going further on less cash is and hostels not a problem, but when you get older, a room of your own is much better.
subsub wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:55 am I've never done that.
The nearest thing to it was visiting California/Arizona/Utah with one of those explore companies where there's a group of a dozen or so people (who you've never met before).
Have pondered them, sub, but not done yet. Can't wait to be able to join the Saga gang of widowed GILFs on tour. :drinkers: :wnk:
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

antdad

Post by antdad »

:lol: you filthy old dog CJ.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Sheathed in The Dam: One Hans Story
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

subsub

Post by subsub »

Carlos J wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:55 am Still love travelling alone, as above, you do what you want, when you want and can change plans each day if you want with no hassles. Had many great holidays with partners, friends but also some bad ones and often end up getting a bit tetchy after a few days. Most trips to the US have been alone, but fairly easy and like kancut have also ended up in SF as well. :)

Was going to reprise the cancelled NY/DC/SF from last year to next but not sure now as other places to go especially Scandinavia as never been, Mike and is first on the list. But do want to go to DC sometime. And a host of other places as well all over. So, it's more time and money really.

Easy to meet people if you want and not if you don't. Worst thing for me when solo is nice restuarants, not for me going there, not sure why, never tried it, but don't think it's my thing, so end up at OK places more suited to solo eaters, which is often better as just local quick places. So not really a huge bane.

And if you want photo memories of somewhere, ask any couple taking a shit selfie with something in the background to take their photo. They will be happy and will take one of you.

Echo antdad. It's your attitude and what you want from a trip. And not sure, Tick, it's a young mans game. Certainly, going further on less cash is and hostels not a problem, but when you get older, a room of your own is much better.
Have pondered them, sub, but not done yet. Can't wait to be able to join the Saga gang of widowed GILFs on tour. :drinkers: :wnk:
:mrgreen:
There wasn't much totty on my trip. I had a girlfriend at the time, anyway.
The hottest woman was a vicar, believe it or not, who was quite flirtatious :lol:
WOKE AND PROUD

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

subsub wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:56 pm
Carlos J wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:55 am Still love travelling alone, as above, you do what you want, when you want and can change plans each day if you want with no hassles. Had many great holidays with partners, friends but also some bad ones and often end up getting a bit tetchy after a few days. Most trips to the US have been alone, but fairly easy and like kancut have also ended up in SF as well. :)

:mrgreen:
There wasn't much totty on my trip. I had a girlfriend at the time, anyway.
The hottest woman was a vicar, believe it or not, who was quite flirtatious :lol:
You should have opened the Jesus Juice, sub and God's will err will follow. 8)
The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:54 pm Sheathed in The Dam: One Hans Story
Sounds a right fairy tale.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

The Tick wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:00 am Travelling alone is good as it forces oneself to take full responsibility for their own welfare. It forces them to take the initiative to meet people where they go , and deal with the nuts and bolts of travelling i.e currency, transport, language, fact finding, medicines and so on.

Much better to do it when of younger age and fitter. As one gets older they prefer companionship and luxury, such as those offered by resort/package holidays.
Tick. That reads very much like a copy and paste from somewhere. Any personal opinion?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Never been on holiday on my own, always with mates or partners. Only single travel has been on business. Have enjoyed some brilliant hols with Mrs Z, and they have been great to share.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Carlos J wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:31 pm
The Tick wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:00 am Travelling alone is good as it forces oneself to take full responsibility for their own welfare. It forces them to take the initiative to meet people where they go , and deal with the nuts and bolts of travelling i.e currency, transport, language, fact finding, medicines and so on.

Tick. That reads very much like a copy and paste from somewhere. Any personal opinion?

That is my personal opinion.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

shabbado wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:09 am
kancutlawns wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:53 am Last time I went on holiday on my lonesome was San Francisco
The 'jokes' write themselves
Oh we've heard stories.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

The Tick wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:02 pm
Carlos J wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:31 pm

That is my personal opinion.
Thanks, Tick. Oh if dear Leader had posted such similar. But hey, all fine and dandy.