Re: Grand Sumo

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Are TenaMen still sponsoring?
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

lambrini wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:09 am
JudgeTedd wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:38 am Does Sumo start every few weeks?
No, there's a tournament every two months.
What channel is it on? I’m a bit intrigued now.
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

JudgeTedd wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:18 am
lambrini wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:09 am
JudgeTedd wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:38 am Does Sumo start every few weeks?
No, there's a tournament every two months.
What channel is it on? I’m a bit intrigued now.
NHK World Japan (Sky: 507; Virgin: 625.) Stream online: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Look at this sweet man. Bless you, Tochi! ❤️👏🏻 Absolute mad lad!

Georgian sumo wrestler Tochinoshin, who competed at the traditional Japanese sport's second-highest rank, ozeki, announced his retirement Friday.

The 35-year-old Kasugano stable representative, whose real name is Levan Gorgadze, had been wrestling in the second-tier juryo division. On Thursday, his record at the ongoing Summer Grand Sumo Tournament at Tokyo's Ryogoku Kokugikan fell to 0-5.

"I've been unable to generate any power," said Gorgadze, whose left shoulder, injured in January, has only gotten worse. "I've become fearful of wrestling."

Gorgadze won one grand sumo tournament, in January 2018, and wrestled as an ozeki in seven meets between July 2018 and September 2019.

Having competed in judo before entering Japanese sumo in 2006, Gorgadze needed only two years to reach the elite makuuchi division.

"I arrived from Georgia knowing nothing, and the Kasugano stable nurtured me," he said. "I'm grateful for being able to
come to Japan and to be able to be a part of sumo."

And though his career was sidetracked by a serious knee injury, Gorgadze skillfully made use of his size and exceptional physical strength to rise to a spot among the sport's elite, becoming the third European ozeki, and the first from his homeland.

"It's like I was able to really give my all after I was hurt," Gorgadze said. "When I fell from the makuuchi division to the (third-tier) makushita, my way of thinking about sumo changed."

Unlike many successful foreign-born wrestlers, Gorgadze has not acquired Japanese citizenship, a prerequisite for remaining within the Japan Sumo Association as a sumo elder, and will leave the sport.

—KYODO News
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Meisei was an absolute beast in this bout! 😂 The outraged audience threw cushions!

( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Whoopee!

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Has any of these fat knackers eaten a dodgy tuna and blasted out a poonami mid err clench, then slipped on the salt and rolled around in their own shitpuddle while screaming at various deities?

antdad

Post by antdad »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:15 am Are TenaMen still sponsoring?

I don't know why I reached into this thread, I was just surprised it was still going at 7 + pages but now I know. It's perfect fodder for Ghost to do his worst. :lol:

antdad

Post by antdad »

@ Lambers

Serious but semi-smutty question, do these guys manage to raise families while competing. Unless they're particularly well endowed I was just wondering if all that man flab gets in the way? I mean Tom Kerridge didn't manage to conceive until he's lost 10 stone.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:05 am Has any of these fat knackers eaten a dodgy tuna and blasted out a poonami mid err clench, then slipped on the salt and rolled around in their own shitpuddle while screaming at various deities?
It’s a fair question.

Imagine trying to compete in this blob rutting shamble having had a skin full and a curry the night prior.

I think the front 5 rows of the crowd would be in mortal danger of being buried alive under a shatvalanche
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

antdad wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:40 am @ Lambers

Serious but semi-smutty question, do these guys manage to raise families while competing. Unless they're particularly well endowed I was just wondering if all that man flab gets in the way? I mean Tom Kerridge didn't manage to conceive until he's lost 10 stone.
Didn’t know what a Tom Kerridge was so I googled it.

He’s got a uniquely punchable face.

I’m annoyed with you now antdad.

In a bit Foam Moe

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

If sumo wants to survive in the 21st century then I think they need to ditch some of the traditional ceremony and institute some Westernised razzmatazz.

My first suggestion would be WWE style entrance music for some of the marvels of nature.

So let’s have some suggestions guize. Here’s my first offering to get the ball err…rolling:

In a bit Foam Moe

antdad

Post by antdad »

Sadact7 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:57 pm
Didn’t know what a Tom Kerridge was so I googled it.

He’s got a uniquely punchable face.

I’m annoyed with you now antdad.
Meh, eaten at his places on special occasions. Harmless but talented fella although I don't care for the now over exposed "lifestyle" promoter he's become. Inevitable I suppose because that's all people ask you about but @ 30+ stone he could've been a (sumo) contender.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

antdad wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:40 am @ Lambers

Some do. Given the game's strict commitment, I imagine it's difficult to maintain a personal life. But, like anything, if you want something, you make it work somehow.

Awww! 🥹

( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Tochi's 2018 win:

❤️❤️❤️