Overrated football managers

Anything sportlike
JW90

Re: Overrated football managers

Post by JW90 »

Sadact7 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:45 pm
kancutlawns wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:10 pm
theleader82 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:02 pm Guardiolas never had to manage an average group of players. You have to respect what people like warnock and allardyce do on limited budgets
No you don’t. Big Sam is a horrible twat. His attitude in the press conference when he lost his job at the Boggoies showed him for the odious, self entitled, bitter arsehole he is. Colin Wanker is cut from the same cum-stained cloth.
In terms of what they do, then I do respect them. Warnock has a good track record of promotion and Allardyce generally has kept teams in the top flight, both of which are probably what clubs which employ them will want them to do.

My gripe with them, particularly Allardyce, is that they seem to believe they should be destined for bigger things. You hear Allardyce talking and he genuinely believes he should be in the mix up for any of the really big jobs which become available. As you say, he’s self-entitled.

Managers find their level, Moyes being a good example. Man Utd nearly broke him and it’s taken six or seven years for him to regain respect for the job he does, because clubs with the expectations of Everton or West Ham are the level where he can operate. It’s not a criticism, it’s just the way it is.
Exactly. You can be a very competent and at times excellent Premier League manager without managing a top club or in the Champions League.

Being a steady hand isn't a negative thing.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Not sure if he's overrated, but he certainly thinks he's quite the manager: Fwank Lampard. I hope he gets fucking done for driving whilst using a phone, think that goes to trial soon. He's got Nick Freeman 'Mr Loophole' on board, twat. Just admit it cunt.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

JW90 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:10 pm Exactly. You can be a very competent and at times excellent Premier League manager without managing a top club or in the Champions League.

Being a steady hand isn't a negative thing.
That’s the game now unfortunately.

Twitter gimps sneering at anything they consider to not be “purist”
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Clivert

Post by Clivert »

Bielsa.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Clivert wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:50 pmBielsa.
He's a bit of a nearly man in some respects. His Argentina squad should have won a World Cup and he lacks a win at all costs mentality beloved by more successful managers but ultimately worse human beings. He's frustratingly stubborn and can sometimes play multiple players out of position at the same time. Much like Rangnick, he's more influential than successful.

Nevertheless, he's fantastic and probably the best Leeds manager in my lifetime. He's rebuilt the club on the football side from scratch in just a few years after 15+ years of under investment and mismanagement. Taking players who looked a million miles off the Premier League and making them competent (Cooper, Ayling, Harrison) or even excel (Bamford, Dallas especially) at that level is no mean feat. I even remember what a donkey Kalvin Phillips was pre-Bielsa who the fanbase would have happily shipped off to another Championship club and been grateful for the £2m fee. Now an England mainstay after starring at the Euros thanks to Bielsa and will be highly sought after next summer.

As a coach, few managers can improve average players to such staggering levels as he can. On paper we still have one of the weakest squads in the league, and he's certainly raised the expectation after last season's top 10 finish. We'll likely fall below that this year, but I'd back him to keep us up no problem. There's very few Premier League managers I'd swap him for, because most of them wouldn't be able to do any better without waving the chequebook about.

It'll be a very sad day when he leaves. A brilliant human being worth ten of the 'tabloid's mates' sort of managers like Redknapp, Allardyce, Bruce etc.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca