TalkTV

The place to discuss TalkRADIO
lambrini

Re: TalkTV

Post by lambrini »

TalkTV apologises to mental health charity over ‘plain wrong’ claims

Rupert Murdoch’s talkTV has apologised to Mind after claiming on-air that the mental health charity funded the legal fees of asylum seekers.

Presenter Mike Graham claimed on his show, The Independent Republic of Mike Graham, last month that the charity was claiming to fund mental health support while actually paying migrants’ legal fees.

Mind complained over the claims, which it has said were “plain wrong”, and pointed out that it was never approached for comment by the new channel.

In an on-air apology, broadcast just after 12.30pm on Friday, talkTV admitted wrongdoing during the show in which it said it “questioned why various organisations, including Mind, were providing funding to a charity called Migrants Organise”.

It added: “Mind has pointed out to us that the funds it gave to Migrants Organise were given for specific work to support mental health and not for legal fees of illegal immigrants. It says it’s transparent about the work it does and details of the projects it funds are on its website.

“We didn’t offer Mind an opportunity to respond at the time and are happy to do so now. We are sorry for any confusion caused by the discussion on the show.”

It comes after the Guardian recently reported that in its first two months the rightwing channel, fronted by Piers Morgan, has been struggling to attract audiences, despite tens of millions of pounds of investment. Such is concern that Murdoch himself is understood to have taken an active interest.

After the original comments were broadcast on 10 June, Mind said it had received messages of “negativity” about its mental health support for refugees and asylum seekers.

It added: “We do, and we’re really proud of that. We’re here for everyone. And that includes refugees and asylum seekers in England & Wales, who have often experienced unimaginable trauma.”

After Friday’s apology, Mind said it only found out about the claims after it was approached by supporters directly because they were not approached for a right of reply from the channel.

“What talkTV got wrong wasn’t that we work with refugees, but how we do it. Our work is around supporting mental health. We shout about this from the rooftops,” it said in a statement.

Highlighting the media’s power to influence views on mental health, it said it was important for Mind to challenge the false claims.

“That’s why we decided to approach talkTV direct and ask for a correction. As a charity our reputation matters, the importance of the work we do to support mental health even more so. The media [have] immense power. So often the media [are] a force for good,” it added.

“At Mind we know that as well as anyone, having seen how the media, across the political spectrum, [have] helped changed our national conversation around mental health. But when the media [get] things wrong, as we all do, as a charity it is important we also challenge this. So we did. Today, we are grateful to talkTV that it took the difficult decision to apologise on air.”

Talktv did not immediately respond to the Guardian’s request for comment.

An Ofcom spokesperson said the apology was not the result of an investigation by the communications regulator.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ong-claims
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

subsub

Post by subsub »

lambrini wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:54 am TalkTV apologises to mental health charity over ‘plain wrong’ claims

Rupert Murdoch’s talkTV has apologised to Mind after claiming on-air that the mental health charity funded the legal fees of asylum seekers.

Presenter Mike Graham claimed on his show, The Independent Republic of Mike Graham, last month that the charity was claiming to fund mental health support while actually paying migrants’ legal fees.

Mind complained over the claims, which it has said were “plain wrong”, and pointed out that it was never approached for comment by the new channel.

In an on-air apology, broadcast just after 12.30pm on Friday, talkTV admitted wrongdoing during the show in which it said it “questioned why various organisations, including Mind, were providing funding to a charity called Migrants Organise”.

It added: “Mind has pointed out to us that the funds it gave to Migrants Organise were given for specific work to support mental health and not for legal fees of illegal immigrants. It says it’s transparent about the work it does and details of the projects it funds are on its website.

“We didn’t offer Mind an opportunity to respond at the time and are happy to do so now. We are sorry for any confusion caused by the discussion on the show.”

It comes after the Guardian recently reported that in its first two months the rightwing channel, fronted by Piers Morgan, has been struggling to attract audiences, despite tens of millions of pounds of investment. Such is concern that Murdoch himself is understood to have taken an active interest.

After the original comments were broadcast on 10 June, Mind said it had received messages of “negativity” about its mental health support for refugees and asylum seekers.

It added: “We do, and we’re really proud of that. We’re here for everyone. And that includes refugees and asylum seekers in England & Wales, who have often experienced unimaginable trauma.”

After Friday’s apology, Mind said it only found out about the claims after it was approached by supporters directly because they were not approached for a right of reply from the channel.

“What talkTV got wrong wasn’t that we work with refugees, but how we do it. Our work is around supporting mental health. We shout about this from the rooftops,” it said in a statement.

Highlighting the media’s power to influence views on mental health, it said it was important for Mind to challenge the false claims.

“That’s why we decided to approach talkTV direct and ask for a correction. As a charity our reputation matters, the importance of the work we do to support mental health even more so. The media [have] immense power. So often the media [are] a force for good,” it added.

“At Mind we know that as well as anyone, having seen how the media, across the political spectrum, [have] helped changed our national conversation around mental health. But when the media [get] things wrong, as we all do, as a charity it is important we also challenge this. So we did. Today, we are grateful to talkTV that it took the difficult decision to apologise on air.”

Talktv did not immediately respond to the Guardian’s request for comment.

An Ofcom spokesperson said the apology was not the result of an investigation by the communications regulator.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ong-claims
Scaremongering (and untrue) stories about asylum seekers?
I wonder which demographic Talk TV is going after…
WOKE AND PROUD

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Piers wet his pants the other night ... claiming some Tory had resigned ... only to have to retract it 5 minutes later because they had got the info from a BBC Tweet, which turned out to be wrong. With all the fucking money Murdoch is pumping into that piece of shit they are still using the BBC as their news-gathering source, a source they ridicule. Really ... you couldn't make it up. Well, you could.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Genman

Post by Genman »

will all radio stations have a Tv channel going forward?

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

God I really really hope so, hopefully there's alot more!
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

carcinogen wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:37 am Piers wet his pants the other night ... claiming some Tory had resigned ... only to have to retract it 5 minutes later because they had got the info from a BBC Tweet, which turned out to be wrong. With all the fucking money Murdoch is pumping into that piece of shit they are still using the BBC as their news-gathering source, a source they ridicule. Really ... you couldn't make it up. Well, you could.
I mean, really! They've forgotten CRAAP!
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Oh don't worry, Kev, she did, a long time ago.
Silly old coot.

( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

Jonathan Grunt

Post by Jonathan Grunt »

lambrini wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:54 pm Oh don't worry, Kev, she did, a long time ago.
Silly old coot.

People actually believe that shite too ......
PRAY GOD FOR CHELTENHAM

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Weird seeing Graham blubbing there. At odds with his wannabe mafia don image threatening people via Twitter :lol:
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

Jonathan Grunt

Post by Jonathan Grunt »

Zippy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:17 pm Weird seeing Graham blubbing there. At odds with his wannabe mafia don image threatening people via Twitter :lol:
Archie's just another grifter who'll say or do anything to keep his gig
PRAY GOD FOR CHELTENHAM

shivah

Post by shivah »

Jonathan Grunt wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:29 am
Zippy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:17 pm Weird seeing Graham blubbing there. At odds with his wannabe mafia don image threatening people via Twitter :lol:
Julia Hardly Screwer is also a well known republican. Yet, here she is going on about how great Liz was.
Grunt is a Chunt.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

shivah wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:16 am
Julia Hardly Screwer is also a well known republican. Yet, here she is going on about how great Liz was.
Julia just wants to be on TV / Radio ... the only thing she gives a fuck about is her bank balance and level of 'fame'.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Penny Smith has lost her fucking mind.

shivah

Post by shivah »

carcinogen wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:43 pm
shivah wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:16 am
Julia just wants to be on TV / Radio ... the only thing she gives a fuck about is her bank balance and level of 'fame'.
According to Popbitch she screams and wails off camera and threatens to jump ship to GB News....
Grunt is a Chunt.