Sinn fein to become single largest political party in stormont assembly

In-depth debate on all topical issues
The Tick

Sinn fein to become single largest political party in stormont assembly

Post by The Tick »

Thought this deserved its own thread as this isn't council elections for Northern Ireland but a devolved national assembly.

This is fantastic news. It offers exiting opportunities for Northern Ireland not least due to the implications for the NI protocol.

The DUP are no longer able to enforce their will on a progressive majority of people (spanning all communities) and even if they boycott the next assembly it just means thst the UK government won't be pressured to fight with the EU so much over the NI protocol.

And who knows, in a few years full Irish freedom and unity will be on the cards. So soon after Westminster parliament majority representation for Northern Ireland transferred to nationalist parties. This is very historic indeed.

kevin04

Re: Sinn fein to become single largest political party in stormont assembly

Post by kevin04 »

From what I've seen

SF - no doubt a very good and historic result for them. Similar to the SNP's win in 2007, it is a bit of a historic moment and tbh, if there is a new NI executive.

DUP - some predictions on the radio earlier have them ending up 23-25 seats, and SF on 29. So, not the humping that some polls predicted (I'm sure I seen them on 13, 14, 16% in 2022 polls at one point) but they've definitely lost a lot of votes.

Alliance - the 'big' winners of this election, looking like they'll double their seats! Massive and I'm sure they won councillors in areas in Derry, Fermanagh in the recent NI council elections and seem to be quite popular with younger/Reddit types (along with SF) Most of their vote is from liberal protestants, but they have a growing number of fans and voters from nationalist areas. A few more votes in Derry for them and a DUP-gained vote in Carrickfergus is probably good for any future form of northern Ireland.

UUP - again, don't know enough ; but I think Mike Nisbet and Doug Beattie are decent guys and sadly it seems not to be clicking with unionism, as their vote just seems to get worse every election. Heard a bit of Jeffrey Donaldson blethering on about shared unionist candidates etc in areas where DUP/UUP battles are both losing, managed decline really, like the Scottish Lib Dems really.

SDLP - seemed to gain those 2 lost Westminster seats to SF, and their excuse this time seems to be their vote has temporarily gone to SF for the historic moment of her potentially being FM. Don't think it is, tbh ; like the UUP their vote seems to slip every Stormont poll. Both seen as the softer version of SF/DUP ; a think a lot of young nationalists who aren't that fussed by a united Ireland are probably even going for Alliance or the Greens over them.

TUV - I'm going to see if someone will take my punt of the TUV being the biggest unionist party in Ireland in 15 years. As the SDLP and UUP lose small n's and u's to the Alliance and Greens ; the TUV are gaining the disgruntled ex DUP vote in big numbers. They've got a chance of getting 3 MLAs ; they've only ever had one who looks a bit like a healthier-living Alan Brazil, a bit like Farage under UKIP? But a good 20-30% chunk of the DUP vote has gone to them!
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

TME - top man Edwin, great wee tribute to a fallen friend.

Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I do get the impression the Irish and Northern Irish just love bickering and arguing. Don't they have anything else to do over there? It's all so fucking shouty and rooted in historical grudges and Religious bigotry, does my fucking head in.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

A legislation for NI that the DUP had blockaded for so long finally overcomes.

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-languag ... 4-May2022/

Mary Lou McDonald says reference to Irish language legislation expected in Queen’s Speech
McDonald said her party pressed NI Secretary Brandon Lewis on promised language legislation today.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Sinn fein are now the largest party in Northern ireland at council level. Interesting to see the ramifications for the DUP and their stance on the NI protocol.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-65655547

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

The Tick wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:41 pm Thought this deserved its own thread as this isn't council elections for Northern Ireland but a devolved national assembly.

This is fantastic news. It offers exiting opportunities for Northern Ireland not least due to the implications for the NI protocol.

The DUP are no longer able to enforce their will on a progressive majority of people (spanning all communities) and even if they boycott the next assembly it just means thst the UK government won't be pressured to fight with the EU so much over the NI protocol.

And who knows, in a few years full Irish freedom and unity will be on the cards. So soon after Westminster parliament majority representation for Northern Ireland transferred to nationalist parties. This is very historic indeed.
Simping for Sinn Fein. Bless.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zippy wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:23 pm
The Tick wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:41 pm Thought this deserved its own thread as this isn't council elections for Northern Ireland but a devolved national assembly.

Simping for Sinn Fein. Bless.
Crying for the DUP. Bless.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Sinn Fein are monsters. Evil cunts.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

lambrini wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:38 pm Sinn Fein are monsters. Evil cunts.
Terrorist backing scum. It's no surprise that certain people back them however.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Zambo wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:17 pm
Terrorist backing scum. It's no surprise that certain people back them however.
Come out ye black 'n' tans!
Yeah I know. They're gangsters.
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Ah well never mind. Just sit back and enjoy watching them become the dominant party all over Ireland.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

The Tick wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:58 pm
Ah well never mind. Just sit back and enjoy watching them become the dominant party all over Ireland.
Yeah! Ah, well! Why would it be "enjoyable"? Did you enjoy watching the Taliban take over Afghanistan?
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

lambrini wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:51 pm
Yeah! Ah, well! Why would it be "enjoyable"? Did you enjoy watching the Taliban take over Afghanistan?

The taliban rid Afghanistan of an unwanted foreign occupying force and its corrupt local puppet rulers. What's not to like about that?

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

The Tick wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:00 pm
lambrini wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:51 pm

The taliban rid Afghanistan of an unwanted foreign occupying force and its corrupt local puppet rulers. What's not to like about that?
The country's "foreign occupying force" wasn't successful and let's face it, far from sustainable. But I'm not sure why you think the Taliban deserved to take its place merely on nationalistic grounds. In less than two years, despite promising security to their own people, those animals' actions have damaged the country in every way possible. Women have no rights whatsoever. Terrorist governments are definitely the way forward, Tick. :D
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break