Mate

You'll get the gist quick enough. Feel free to vent about life's rich tapestry and how it pisses you off. But steer clear of other forum members or you will be the target of a virtual kick up the arse.
Zambo

Re: Mate

Post by Zambo »

Have admit that I use it quite a lot, including to people I don't know that well. Had the boiler serviced yesterday by someone I see once a year. As he left I just said "cheers mate, see you in 12 months".

Just rolled the tongue without thinking.

Hope he wasn't upset. Might call him later and apologise if it embarrassed or annoyed him.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Zambo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:12 am Have admit that I use it quite a lot, including to people I don't know that well. Had the boiler serviced yesterday by someone I see once a year. As he left I just said "cheers mate, see you in 12 months".

Hope he wasn't upset. Might call him later and apologise if it embarrassed or annoyed him.
See, your use of mate is reasonable. It’s not ostentatious, matey or pretentious as it could be but more as a friendly suffix and to show appreciation. I guess it’s more how it’s used and the tone that it’s said with.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

kancutlawns wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:19 am
Zambo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:12 am Have admit that I use it quite a lot, including to people I don't know that well. Had the boiler serviced yesterday by someone I see once a year. As he left I just said "cheers mate, see you in 12 months".

See, your use of mate is reasonable. It’s not ostentatious, matey or pretentious as it could be but more as a friendly suffix and to show appreciation. I guess it’s more how it’s used and the tone that it’s said with.
:smt023
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

antdad

Post by antdad »

Lawns goes ballistic at bath time...MATEY NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

It sets my teeth on edge when Adam "The Catman" Caterall calls boxers he's never met "Meht", assuming an intimacy that only exists in his head. I'm fine when people say it to me. What else are they supposed to say?
"Hey, you, fellow!" :-)
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Odd thing to cream ones pantaloons over tbh, calling someone mate.
Hardly the end of days.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

It’s about what’s appropriate with the tone. Would you expect King Charles III to address some lowly surf on the way to the bog as “pip pip my mate. Would one care to relocate one’s arse before he gets a bloody good kicking away from the vestry as one needs to park one’s plums on the disc shaped orifice to clear one’s bowels?”

I do prefer being called sir, darling or boss, to be fair. It gives seniority, respect and reverence then some cunt calling me a common old mate.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Fucking hell, moon meriodation doing my swede
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

Whose the Nobby No-mates that thought this thread would be interesting?
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:57 pm Fucking hell, moon meriodation doing my swede
You ain't wrong brah

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

JudgeTedd wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:18 pm Whose the Nobby No-mates that thought this thread would be interesting?
Whose?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:57 pm Fucking hell, moon meriodation doing my swede
It's not 'moon meridation' thicko, it's having an opinion you don't like. :wink: If you don't like it then go and run into a busy road with your eyes closed if its all to much for you to bear.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Mate!

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

kancutlawns wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:41 pm
JudgeTedd wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:18 pm Whose the Nobby No-mates that thought this thread would be interesting?
Whose?
Hooz

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Was bloody Lawnsy mate.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe