Smartwatch malarkey

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
Vespa

Smartwatch malarkey

Post by Vespa »

I've never owned a smart watch, when I was working out I just used my g shock.

However, now I need to track my heart rate and O2 saturation - so a smartwatch seems to be the thing.

Are they worth it or just a giant faf?

If I get one it'll likely be the google one because I'm on android.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Re: Smartwatch malarkey

Post by Carlos J »

Can't help you on that, though have got a fitbit but don't wear often, it does BPM but not sure about sats.

One thing though, my sister is a paramedic and said that due to more people buying oximeters, they get loads of call outs when people get a reading below 90% and they're perfectly fine, the kit is shit though.

Unless you want a smartwatch, probably cheaper to buy an finger oximeter which records pulse as well. Though be wary of readings.

Aside the dodgy readings, another reason hospitals/ambulances use them connected to a BP machine is that the finger ones get nicked all the time. The good old Great British Public. :)
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

antdad

Post by antdad »

Ahem, fuck me family antdad nearly had a disaster during Covid with those crappy little Chinese PulseOx meters, that's for another time maybe.

Shame, Apple watch is very good at SATS and ECG. Samsung Galaxy 3/4 might be a bit dated now but still worth a look.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Carlos J wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:52 am Can't help you on that, though have got a fitbit but don't wear often, it does BPM but not sure about sats.

One thing though, my sister is a paramedic and said that due to more people buying oximeters, they get loads of call outs when people get a reading below 90% and they're perfectly fine, the kit is shit though.

Unless you want a smartwatch, probably cheaper to buy an finger oximeter which records pulse as well. Though be wary of readings.

Aside the dodgy readings, another reason hospitals/ambulances use them connected to a BP machine is that the finger ones get nicked all the time. The good old Great British Public. :)
I just want to track my s02 and heart beat. In the last month my heart rate is been registered between 88 and 223. It's use to be 63 :(

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Vespa wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:37 pm
Carlos J wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:52 am Can't help you on that, though have got a fitbit but don't wear often, it does BPM but not sure about sats.

I just want to track my s02 and heart beat. In the last month my heart rate is been registered between 88 and 223. It's use to be 63 :(
I'd just get a cheaper oximeter if you're not going to make use of a smartwatch .

223bpm. :shock:Amanzed you didn't explode.

Amd anyway, a manual pulse is always better as you can tell if regular or not.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Carlos J wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:25 pm
223bpm. :shock:Amanzed you didn't explode.
This is when I was having chemo and when I saw it I thought that machine they wheel about was broken. The next thing I knew I was surrounded by about 10 people, happily they took an ECG and I was a-okay and it claimed down.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Just ordered one from the google store. Goggle has just refined all my Staida purchases which has easily paid for the watch - result!

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Studies have shown people suffer excess stress when they don't meet their goals; ie: 20,000 steps. Stress is a killer and watches should just be used to tell the time. And of course 'time' itself at least in the sense of watches and clocks is just a capitalist construct, but let's not go down that rabbit-hole ... or the actual concept of time, no one wants to open that door, not today.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

carcinogen wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:39 am Studies have shown people suffer excess stress when they don't meet their goals; ie: 20,000 steps. Stress is a killer and watches should just be used to tell the time. And of course 'time' itself at least in the sense of watches and clocks is just a capitalist construct, but let's not go down that rabbit-hole ... or the actual concept of time, no one wants to open that door, not today.
I've never understood the steps thing it is worthless. When I could do fitness training I found time and frequency the best metrics. I had a strength routine that took about half hour, if I did that three times a week I got good results.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Vespa wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:33 am Just ordered one from the google store. Goggle has just refined all my Staida purchases which has easily paid for the watch - result!
Good stuff. Hope it works wll for you.

antdad

Post by antdad »

Vespa wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:24 am
carcinogen wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:39 am Studies have shown people suffer excess stress when they don't meet their goals; ie: 20,000 steps. Stress is a killer and watches should just be used to tell the time. And of course 'time' itself at least in the sense of watches and clocks is just a capitalist construct, but let's not go down that rabbit-hole ... or the actual concept of time, no one wants to open that door, not today.
I've never understood the steps thing it is worthless. When I could do fitness training I found time and frequency the best metrics. I had a strength routine that took about half hour, if I did that three times a week I got good results.
Depends on your level of fitness and what if you couldn't or don't intenisvely train? I found the steps tracking useful to maintain a base level of activity when recoverying from a back injury and I still look at it on a regular basis for the same reason.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I've had a pixel watch for a few weeks now here are my opinions.
Pros:
The heart rate and ECG stuff works well and has lessened my paranoia about having a heart attack
I bought the elastic wrist band which is super comfy
Fitbit built-in is nice, if I could I would use the swim tracking
One of the things I really like like is that you can use phone from your watch. For example, I use google map whilst wandered around town and I'm always worried some cunt with snatch my phone. Maps on your watch seems much safer.
Im not an expert but if you want an Andriod watch this one is good, I looked at the samsung one but it locks some features unless you have their phones - lame

Cons:
I don't like smartwatches. I have several automatic watches I wear whenever going out to lunch etc. I use it and enjoy it but give me wind up any time

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Vespa wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:24 am
I think it’s a good indicator of stamina and people can alter their speed and intensity in achieving their step goals. A lot of people do supplement their step exercises with other physical activity so it’s certainly not worthless. Also it gives a daily goal, makes it a pleasant, flexible routine and bear in mind a lot of people probably have sports injuries and don’t want to or are able to run marathons or do other forms of running.

People have different tolerances, interests and abilities. We’re not all built the same, of the same age, the same genetics or the same metabolism.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Vespa wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:06 am I've had a pixel watch for a few weeks now here are my opinions.
Pros:
The heart rate and ECG stuff works well and has lessened my paranoia about having a heart attack
One of the things I really like like is that you can use phone from your watch. For example, I use google map whilst wandered around town and I'm always worried some cunt with snatch my phone. Maps on your watch seems much safer.
Im not an expert but if you want an Andriod watch this one is good, I looked at the samsung one but it locks some features unless you have their phones - lame

Cons:
I don't like smartwatches. I have several automatic watches I wear whenever going out to lunch etc. I use it and enjoy it but give me wind up any time
Which model is it, Vespa?
Am tempted to get a smartwatch, but am reluctant to pay a small fortune for one.
WOKE AND PROUD

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

subsub wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:55 pm
Vespa wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:06 am I've had a pixel watch for a few weeks now here are my opinions.
Pros:

Cons:
Which model is it, Vespa?
Am tempted to get a smartwatch, but am reluctant to pay a small fortune for one.
https://store.google.com/gb/product/goo ... h?hl=en-GB

I signed up for Google Stadia and refunded me a few hundred quid I spent on this.