In-depth debate on all topical issues
JudgeTedd

Re: Britain is broken

Post by JudgeTedd »

Zambo wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:28 am
JudgeTedd wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:23 am
Zambo wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:23 am
The Tick wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:00 pm
Zambo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:51 pm From little acorns and all that jazz.
Terrible that the UK decided to reduce itself to having little acorns and nothing elsem
Plant them and the oaks will come.
Do you know how long it takes for an oak tree to grow? Do you have that time to spare?
Around five or six years, but it was a figure of speech. You did know that Judge didn't you. :wink:
I never knew that, what have I been doing all my life? 😉😉
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

One thing I mourn is the change in basic etiquette. Sure, we've always had rude and trashy behaviour, but it seems increasingly common these days: drinking alcohol and talking loudly on public transport, for example (the former is actually illegall.) Talking on speaker-phone is also annoying, and littering, too. People don't respect others anymore. And why should they? Popular culture has elevated the self ("me, me, me!") above everything else.
Last edited by lambrini on Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7
“Decent long termer”–Paolo

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Perhaps I sound old fashioned... idk.
( ◡‿◡ )
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

lambrini wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:44 pm One thing I mourn is the change in basic etiquette. Sure, we've always had rude and trashy behaviour, but it seems increasingly common these days: drinking alcohol and talking loudly on public transport, for example. Talking on speaker-phone is also annoying, and littering, too. People don't respect others anymore. And why should they? Popular culture has elevated the self ("me, me, me!") above everything else.
I don't think that's necessarily true. My experience from where I've moved to is that people are polite, they say please and thank you and smile. Haven't experienced bad behaviour and rudeness from others for a long time other than when driving which one of my pet hates. People have problems with hearing, especially older people which is why they use the speaker function.

I do find that on the flip side, people are rather more unaccommodating, intolerant and selfish and want to make others feel uncomfortable for not sitting in silence, being motionless and showing no emotion in public. I guess I have my own space but let people live and let live, it's really not a big deal. What people don't know is the struggles that others go through, if they can have a little enjoyment, is this not worthwhile?
Last edited by kancutlawns on Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

lambrini wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:44 pm One thing I mourn is the change in basic etiquette. Sure, we've always had rude and trashy behaviour, but it seems increasingly common these days: drinking alcohol and talking loudly on public transport, for example. Talking on speaker-phone is also annoying, and littering, too. People don't respect others anymore. And why should they? Popular culture has elevated the self ("me, me, me!") above everything else.
lambrini wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:45 pm Perhaps I sound old fashioned... idk.
Not at all.

There are far more self-absorbed and self-entitled cunts now than there used to be.

Source: My own observations.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Carlos J wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:52 pm
Not at all.

There are far more self-absorbed and self-entitled cunts now than there used to be.

Exactly, sanctimonious, judgmental and self superior gits who turn their nose up at the plebs who have the gall to do one of the few things that aren't frowned upon, made illegal or mocked.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:56 pm
Not at all.

Exactly, sanctimonious, judgmental and self superior gits who turn their nose up at the plebs who have the gall to do one of the few things that aren't frowned upon, made illegal or mocked.
Err, I meant the opposite, self-absorbed and self-entitled cunts who care nothing for anything bar me, me, me as the type Lambrini mentioned.

But you are right, plenty of judgemental and sanctimonius Debbie Downer's as well tut-tutting all over the place.

All are wankers.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Agreed. What I find is people showing who disgruntled and intolerant they are, instead of asking politely to refrain from or reduce what they’re doing. This annoys me. Good manners from all doesn’t hurt anyone, people usually respond more favourably if they’re not told to feel like something they’ve scraped off the soles of their shoes when told.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Not at all.

+1

I'm not saying I'm holier-than-thou, we're all guilty of being self-absorbed sometimes. But, from my own observations, I do think the country (as in culturally) has lost the basics. London in particular is bad.
( ◡‿◡ )
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:23 am
The Tick wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:00 pm
Zambo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:51 pm From little acorns and all that jazz.
Terrible that the UK decided to reduce itself to having little acorns and nothing elsem
Plant them and the oaks will come.
Too bad the UK uprooted a perfectly healthy tree in the spot where acorns are now needed.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

The acorns were planted over three years ago and despite continued attempts to chop it down, it will bloom and blossom in the years to come, and we'll have a thick carpet of new acorns to grow some new trees.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:00 pm The acorns were planted over three years ago and despite continued attempts to chop it down, it will bloom and blossom in the years to come.
The acorns haven't even been purchased yet, just as de pfefffel's oven ready deal hasn't even made the dough kneading stage yet.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

lambrini wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:44 pm One thing I mourn is the change in basic etiquette. Sure, we've always had rude and trashy behaviour, but it seems increasingly common these days ...
Indeed. The "well that's just me, that's just who I am" attitude is now something the rest of us are supposed to admire. Bumping along, not annoying anyone else, is a concept alien to many people in this enlightened age.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

subsub

Post by subsub »

JimmyDee wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:29 am
lambrini wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:44 pm One thing I mourn is the change in basic etiquette. Sure, we've always had rude and trashy behaviour, but it seems increasingly common these days ...
Indeed. The "well that's just me, that's just who I am" attitude is now something the rest of us are supposed to admire. Bumping along, not annoying anyone else, is a concept alien to many people in this enlightened age.
Yep, this not-giving-a-fuck attitude is definitely more common than a decade or so ago.
Reality TV is partly to blame, promoting all this "no regrets" bollocks and self-promotion etc
WOKE AND PROUD

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

subsub wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:31 am Reality TV is partly to blame, promoting all this "no regrets" bollocks and self-promotion etc
It's no longer about who likes you, in real-life, it's about "likes", from complete strangers.

Still, there you go. Your world, overgrown-teenagers, and you're welcome to it :-)
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99