Euro 24 Qualifying

Anything sportlike
black_guardian

Re: Euro 24 Qualifying

Post by black_guardian »

Be glad our national team isn't as shit as Germany or Italy at the moment.

If anyone told me that Germany would have back to back group stage exits and that Italy would miss two World Cups, I'd have laughed in your face and called you a "Paolo".

I for one will continue to engage in a celebration of mediocrity that is the England football team.
<Doctor...you will die for this...!>

subsub

Post by subsub »

black_guardian wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:51 pm Be glad our national team isn't as shit as Germany or Italy at the moment.

If anyone told me that Germany would have back to back group stage exits and that Italy would miss two World Cups, I'd have laughed in your face and called you a "Paolo".

I for one will continue to engage in a celebration of mediocrity that is the England football team.
:dart:
WOKE AND PROUD

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Dartism remains rife
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

subsub wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:09 pm Outrage every time England don't win a tournament = blinkered arrogance :rolleyes:
Same old tedious shite. Someone has a different opinion and out comes the personal, dismissive, and intolerant bollocks.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:48 am
subsub wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:09 pm Outrage every time England don't win a tournament = blinkered arrogance :rolleyes:
Same old tedious shite. Someone has a different opinion and out comes the personal, dismissive, and intolerant bollocks.
No, it's just called having a difference of opinion, Zambo.
Please stop making up stuff just to suit your agenda. V boring, and I'd expect better from a mod.
WOKE AND PROUD

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

When Southgate’s England failure is over, I wonder which of the top 6 will be scrambling to appoint him?

Top 10?

A premier league club?

I personally hope he ends up at Liverpool - just for shitz and giggles.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

subsub wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:56 am
Please stop making up stuff just to suit your agenda. V boring, and I'd expect better from a mod.
Calling people blinkered and arrogant because they disagree with you is not just having a different opinion. But you knew that didn't you.

Stick to commenting on what members post and cut out the personal shite.

You and your mate have already had posts removed from here, with a warning from Carlos. I'd take the hint.

https://talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=37330&start=645
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

subsub wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:56 am
+1

antdad

Post by antdad »

subsub wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:49 pm
Carlos J wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:14 pm
Sadact7 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:29 pm [...]
He’ll always do reasonably well in tournaments because he plays with a safety first mentality, with keeping the opponent’s score at zero as the primary objective. That’s not unreasonable in itself, good defences help win tournaments, limiting the opponents score reduces the number of goals you need to win yourself.

The problem is, in any tournament, eventually you’ll need to switch gears and seek to press your advantage and aggressively go after the opposition. He regularly fails to do that, which then puts an element of doubt into his own players while allowing the opposition to rebuild their own confidence and take the initiative.
[...]
For as long as I can remember, England have had this problem in tournaments/competitive games.

Sitting back when leading and not going for the kill allowing the opposition time to regroup and rebuild.

Of course there have been exceptions but it seems less a Southgate problem as an England one.
Having watched umpteen tournaments over the years, singling out Southgate for being a touch nervy/unadventurous is just laughable.
He's overachieved as an England manager. Don't remember seeing post after post about England's 'golden generation' and how the World Cup/Euros were in the bag etc :rolleyes:
I think what Southgates achieved is about par by knocking on the door in the later stages and making the occasional final. When the team wins the players take the credit and when they don't the coach get's it in the neck, was always thus. The UEFA technical report of the Euro final basically said England bottled it by resorting to going long and conceding possession rather than Mancini's tactical mastery or Southgate's lack of it.

subsub

Post by subsub »

antdad wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:41 pm
subsub wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:49 pm
Carlos J wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:14 pm
Sadact7 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:29 pm [...]
He’ll always do reasonably well in tournaments because he plays with a safety first mentality, with keeping the opponent’s score at zero as the primary objective. That’s not unreasonable in itself, good defences help win tournaments, limiting the opponents score reduces the number of goals you need to win yourself.

The problem is, in any tournament, eventually you’ll need to switch gears and seek to press your advantage and aggressively go after the opposition. He regularly fails to do that, which then puts an element of doubt into his own players while allowing the opposition to rebuild their own confidence and take the initiative.
[...]
For as long as I can remember, England have had this problem in tournaments/competitive games.

Sitting back when leading and not going for the kill allowing the opposition time to regroup and rebuild.

Of course there have been exceptions but it seems less a Southgate problem as an England one.
Having watched umpteen tournaments over the years, singling out Southgate for being a touch nervy/unadventurous is just laughable.
He's overachieved as an England manager. Don't remember seeing post after post about England's 'golden generation' and how the World Cup/Euros were in the bag etc :rolleyes:
I think what Southgates achieved is about par by knocking on the door in the later stages and making the occasional final. When the team wins the players take the credit and when they don't the coach get's it in the neck, was always thus. The UEFA technical report of the Euro final basically said England bottled it by resorting to going long and conceding possession rather than Mancini's tactical mastery or Southgate's lack of it.
Yes, in the Euro final I wish we'd gone for the throat a bit more having taken an early lead.
But I also remember decades of us getting to the last 16 or quarters and getting knocked out, which given our ranking of 8 or so, was about par. Southgate has exceeded that, and I'm baffled at the abuse he gets compared with his predecessors, who did much worse.
WOKE AND PROUD

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

black_guardian wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:51 pm Be glad our national team isn't as shit as Germany or Italy at the moment.

And we (Scotland) are pretty decent right now too.

Rapture commeth!
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

No longer the Bridesmaid

Our brave boiz versus the sweaties. Scotchland on a roll, feeling top g right now, ingarrrland on the ropes, just shielding blows. So we can expect the usual dour nil nil and a load of woke bot drivel from SimpCunt

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Even us at our peak (it really cannae get any better for us choco Jockos, apart from qualifying) a humbling 0-3 loss tomorrow and smug Sky Sports News faces.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

No longer the Bridesmaid

Please god JorHen just retire and HazMagz score three own goals then go live up a mountain

antdad

Post by antdad »

Yep, if Simpers doesn't cane the sweaties in this meaningful friendly there's gonna be a meltdown.