Post Brexit - part 21

In-depth debate on all topical issues
The Tick

Re: Post Brexit - part 21

Post by The Tick »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:30 pm As I have said before it is by no means sure that the south would support reunification.
Opinion polls in the south tend to favour reunification, it's the north where it's all to play for. No guarantee in the latter for now but Sinn Fein will be eagerly awaiting the results of the 2031 UK census to see how favorable a majority the nationalist population get among the overall NI population. Plus it gives more time for brexit and DUP tomfoolery to annoy people enough to consider a border poll as a viable solution.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:30 pm As I have said before it is by no means sure that the south would support reunification.
I think Sinn Fein has a finger on polling with this subject and unlike Scotland reunification feels easier

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Sure SF would like a united Ireland but there is substantial evidence and expert comment that the people of the Republic would doubt they wanted to take on the north.
I heard it described as like there being a mad and unpleasant member of the family that everyone knows needs to be taken in but nobody wants him living with them.
Why?
Because economically NI is a mess and is propped up now by UK funds.
Because you still have the antediluvian sectarianism
Because the Republic keenly supports the EU
Because in social reform terms it would be like merging Massachusetts and Alabama.
I went through a two hour tutorial on the subject pre-Christmas run by a former Republic government official.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:50 pm Sure SF would like a united Ireland but there is substantial evidence and expert comment that the people of the Republic would doubt they wanted to take on the north.
I heard it described as like there being a mad and unpleasant member of the family that everyone knows needs to be taken in but nobody wants him living with them.
Why?
Because economically NI is a mess and is propped up now by UK funds.
Because you still have the antediluvian sectarianism
Because the Republic keenly supports the EU
Because in social reform terms it would be like merging Massachusetts and Alabama.
I went through a two hour tutorial on the subject pre-Christmas run by a former Republic government official.
Sinn Fein are polling to win the Irish election. I suspect they understand sentiment.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

More winning...

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/brexit-l ... TO=newsnow

‘We’re in our 70s – Brexit forced us to leave the UK to save our business’
An entrepreneur couple say they had to move their business out of the UK to keep selling their products to the EU after Brexit

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Who the fuck still bangs on about Brexit? Names have been taken.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

carcinogen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:14 pm Who the fuck still bangs on about Brexit? Names have been taken.
Only Idiots, wankers, and a bunch of cunts, and then there is the woke leftist rabble that can't accept a democratic vote, from years ago.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:33 pm
carcinogen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:14 pm Who the fuck still bangs on about Brexit? Names have been taken.
Only Idiots, wankers, and a bunch of cunts, and then there is the woke leftist rabble that can't accept a democratic vote, from years ago.

Case in point, nigel farage.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I gettit, I live in the past too on some things. But fuck SAKE.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

The Tick wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:35 pm

Case in point, nigel farage.

No one gives a fuck about Nigel. (apart from Nigel and people who think Nigel is somehow important).

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

More winning...

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/polit ... tar-chaos/

Sadiq Khan warns post-Brexit border checks will cause Eurostar chaos

Sadiq Khan has urged ministers to prevent “chaos” for Eurostar passengers when the European Union launches biometric border checks later this year.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Some more winning...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ket-prices

UK farmers vow to mount more blockades over cheap post-Brexit imports
Inspired by French action, British campaigners say they will continue slow tractor protests after Dover roads were blocked

...Gibson cited tariff-free wheat from Ukraine and cheap lamb from New Zealand among the reasons for farmers protesting. His brother Jeff told Radio 4’s Today programme: “Brexit has made things more difficult. Exporting things from the UK is much more difficult, and importing into the UK doesn’t seem to have changed.”...

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I get tired of moving posts, because I find that after you have moved them, more just pile up, so it's not much of a deterrent.

Another clutch moved, but the message is again to all, is to stick to replying to posts and drop the personal attacks. Get tired of saying that as well.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

1. Remain or leave had fuck all to do with left or right.

2. Your "democratic vote" omitted the small matter of HOW we should leave. Cue the next 3 years of argument, and if you care to check most of the delay was created by "lefties" like Rees-Mogg and Bridgen.

Salem

Post by Salem »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:11 pm
1. Remain or leave had fuck all to do with left or right.

2. Your "democratic vote" omitted the small matter of HOW we should leave. Cue the next 3 years of argument, and if you care to check most of the delay was created by "lefties" like Rees-Mogg and Bridgen.
Show me a leftie who voted for Brexit and I'll show you a moose without a hat rack
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....